How many recs and form whom?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 pm

I graduated in the fall of 10 and began grad school in the fall of 2011.

I know that I can get my best and most detailed recommendations from my current boss, who has known me for a while

Should I replace my boss with a grad teacher, even though I know the recommendation won't be nearly as good. If not, is it necessary to supplement with a third grad recommendation?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: Is it necessary to send a rec from a a grad school prof?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 pm

If you are still in grad school, I would think it would look odd to not have a grad school reference. You don't want committees wondering about why.

If the grad school reference will just be a little bland, my guess is that the committees would pay more attention to the glowing letters.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:06 pm

would the grad prof be bland or bad? if bland, i'd say just submit all three letters.

BillsFan9907

how many recs and from whom?

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

ladybug89 wrote:would the grad prof be bland or bad? if bland, i'd say just submit all three letters.

It would be bland. There's nothing they could say that isn't in my grad transcript (which is really good) or that the others can so much better. In other words, it would be repetitive at best.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Actually I changed my mind. I wouldn't send it if I were you - I think I just got influenced by the first response, haha. I'm assuming you're in a master's program, which are a) short and b) grade-inflated, which adcoms know and so they might not care too much. I think mediocre recs make you seem mediocre, and I'm not convinced whoever's reading your app is going to think it's weird that you didn't send a grad one. sooo go with what makes you look awesomest!

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:42 pm

ladybug89 wrote:Actually I changed my mind. I wouldn't send it if I were you - I think I just got influenced by the first response, haha. I'm assuming you're in a master's program, which are a) short and b) grade-inflated, which adcoms know and so they might not care too much. I think mediocre recs make you seem mediocre, and I'm not convinced whoever's reading your app is going to think it's weird that you didn't send a grad one. sooo go with what makes you look awesomest!

That's what I was thinking. It could raise a red flag if there are two amazing recs from a professor who had me years ago and a boss, but then a comparatively generic one from a more recent professor.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”