Prospective Law Student

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KimboSlice

Prospective Law Student

Postby KimboSlice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Took a practice lsat at my undergrad institution back in feb, just for kicks with a friend because she really wanted to take it. Never taken the test before.
In the LR section I got 37 correct, 14 incorrect, 1 omitted=71%
In the LG section I got 9 correct, 14 incorrect, 0 omitted=39%
In the RC section I got 24 correct, 2 incorrect, 0 omitted=92%

In the month or so since, I studied LG with Kaplan materials. Went back and retook the LG section this week and easily solved all but 2 questions.

I've been kickin around the law school idea for awhile. I graduated high school in 02, went to a small private college in St.L (my hometown) on a full ride, practically against my will. Got pretty polarizing grades for 2 yrs- either As or Fs. I was the type of kid who if I didn't like the prof I said eff it! Then I finally got my way and went to a party school where I failed pretty much everything except phys ed and film studies. All the while, I had worked nearly almost full time at a restaurant, so after getting put on probation at school #2 and several changes to my major, I decided to work and figure out what the hell I wanted to do with myself. After less than 4yrs working full time at the restaurant, I had been promoted three times, to gen manager. That was ok, but I had pretty much plateaued, the job sucked, it would be years before one of the regionals would retire and I could move up. I was the youngest gm in the state for that co, making good money but not at all happy with my quality of life. When the recession hit, I lost my job, just shy of 9yrs w/ the company. I re-enrolled in college the same day I was fired. I started a social work program, and completed 26 classes in 18mos, graduated the top of my program, and for those 26 classes had a 3.88gpa. Was president of an honor society there as well. Had 2 social work internships and received rave reviews from both. My supervisors were a SLU grad and a WashU grad, both of whom are willing to write LOR. I am currently in an MBA program making straight As at the college I originally attended 6yrs ago. Will graduate in March 2012. I have good relationships w/ the profs and do a fair amount of community service. I am still unemployed, but not looking for a "real" job, since I anticipate being in school for awhile. I'm pretty chill- homeowner, typical "young married" person, not into partying (anymore).

I would like to attend law school in St. Louis, and have no interest in biglaw, plan to live in StL for a looong (too long) time, since my spouse has a small biz here.
I need a good amount of $$ thrown my way. Paying 21,000/yr for grad school is already a tough pill to swallow. Would not pay sticker for a law degree anywhere.
I forgot to add, my cumulative is 214credits for a 3.03GPA. Retaking/taking more undergrad classes is out of the question, considering I'd need 9 classes with As just to be at a 3.15.
If I study all summer and score high on the LSAT in Oct, what are my odds of admittance AND money from SLU or WashU? I'm one of those weirdos who gets off on taking tests, and usually scores fairly well without trying, so I figure, if I work really hard, a score in the 170s is not out of reach. My biggest test-taking issue is that I am slow!! I have to rush through LG.

Sorry for the long post, run on sentences and the like. Just felt I needed to tell the whole story to give ya'll an accurate picture.

Lawquacious

Re: Prospective Law Student

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Your 3.0 UGPA will put you in rough territory for scholarships I think, but if you can hit 168+ on LSAT I imagine you would have a good shot at WUSTL. It sounds like you have a lot of studying to do for the LSAT. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to speculate about your chances until you have a score. If you get an LSAT score and do some school research then I think posters can be more helpful. Be prepared to take the LSAT more than once. HTH
Last edited by Lawquacious on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Pretty long, but I'll bite.
Retaking/taking more undergrad classes is out of the question, considering I'd need 9 classes with As just to be at a 3.15.

It is also out of the idea, because all classes taken after your first and original BA or BS are not considered.(you did say you were in a MBA program right?) All undergrad work prior to "walking the stage" will count.

So assuming you are just above 3.0, I'd say you will need >167 for WUTSL or >155 for SLU.
If you are really wanting big money, add at least 3-4 points for WUTSL and 6-8 points for SLU
Just FYI, people sometimes disagree on this, but for the most part admissions is basically,
1. LSAT
2. GPA
then way down the consideration scale, in no specific order

Personal statements, letters of rec, grad degrees, jobs, etc etc etc

I'd also get your story straight on your overall "problem" with grades, and write a compelling addendum. Search this site for tips, and with a GOOD LSAT, you can overcome a 3.0

Edited to add-
If I study all summer and score high on the LSAT in Oct,
Also, don't screw around on this. You are going to need to score in roughly the 95th percentile and up for WUTSL, think about what that means from your above diagnostic. (roughly 2-3 errors on each section, at most)
Last edited by txadv11 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 pm

We can't tell you much until you actually take the LSAT.

Get above a 168 and you might get WUSTL.
170ish for money

160 should get you in SLU

KimboSlice

Postby KimboSlice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 pm

So iyo are scholarships granted in a more holistic fashion? As in, if you have a 180 and shoddy everything else, kiss scholarships goodbye? For me, it is totally a toss up between SLU and WashU. I must attend in the STL area, and price is my only real criteria beyond that.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 pm

No, WUSTL is splitter friendly and gives out lots of money to anyone who does well on the LSAT. Get a 168/169+ and you'll probably get money.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:35 pm

KimboSlice wrote:So iyo are scholarships granted in a more holistic fashion? As in, if you have a 180 and shoddy everything else, kiss scholarships goodbye? For me, it is totally a toss up between SLU and WashU. I must attend in the STL area, and price is my only real criteria beyond that.

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com and check out the profile's of the people that received money towards each school. I've also checked out SLU's scholarships and they give out 10 full tuition scholarships to each incoming class. With a good LSAT ~165 and a compelling personal statement (seems like you have a compelling story), you could probably snatch one of those up.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 pm

KimboSlice wrote:So iyo are scholarships granted in a more holistic fashion? As in, if you have a 180 and shoddy everything else, kiss scholarships goodbye? For me, it is totally a toss up between SLU and WashU. I must attend in the STL area, and price is my only real criteria beyond that.

In general, yes; schools look at both GPA and LSAT when considering money, so an LSAT score that could result in a large amount of money at a school in combo with a strong GPA may just barely get you in if you have a low GPA. But I think WUSTL does have a different approach than a lot of schools re: who they accept (very splitter friendly) and how they give out money.

Given a low enough GPA, even a 180 will get plenty of rejects from schools not friendly to splitters.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Last edited by Lawquacious on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
tittsburghfeelers wrote:

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com and check out the profile's of the people that received money towards each school. I've also checked out SLU's scholarships and they give out 10 full tuition scholarships to each incoming class. With a good LSAT ~165 and a compelling personal statement (seems like you have a compelling story), you could probably snatch one of those up.

Wait what? You really think a 3.0/165 could get someone a full scholly to SMU?

We're talking about SLU not SMU. Reading comp fail!!! lol :D

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Honestly, I'd advise against going to SLU for anything less than a full ride. I have several friends currently in the program, and the results they're getting (w/r/t employment opportunities) just aren't worth the cost they're paying. Since you appear to have strong St. Louis connections, shoot for nothing less than WUSTL. Which means you should really be gunning for 170 if you want to attend with a decent scholarship. Good luck.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Just wanted to confirm you knew this but:

1. Your GPA is locked after your first degree so any class taken after your first BA/BS will have no effect on your LSAC GPA

2. All those F's WILL count towards your LSAC GPA even if you retook those courses and got better grades.

A 3.03 with half your classes as Fs for your first year? Something doesnt add up...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 pm

depends on the school. Many schools give "merit scholarships" which is as it sounds, by academic merit. However, URMs, diverse backgrounds, and unique experiences seem to be worth something, when looking on lawschoolnumbers.com, you'll notice some people get more money, for differing reasons.

Overall I can't stress how important the LSAT will be. Seriously, I'd rather have a 172 and a 2.5 than a 149 and a 4.0.

tittsburghfeelers

Postby tittsburghfeelers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:04 pm

bhan87 wrote:Just wanted to confirm you knew this but:

1. Your GPA is locked after your first degree so any class taken after your first BA/BS will have no effect on your LSAC GPA

2. All those F's WILL count towards your LSAC GPA even if you retook those courses and got better grades.

A 3.03 with half your classes as Fs for your first year? Something doesnt add up...

I just assumed that the OP's other grades helped negate his F's since he had like 218 credits or whatever he said he had. But yeah, OP, you need to plug your credits into this link and it will give you your actual GPA, as far as law school admissions is concerned. Also, regardless of whether or not you received an F, you still need to plug your F into the calculator because it still counts.

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 pm

tittsburghfeelers wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
tittsburghfeelers wrote:

Wait what? You really think a 3.0/165 could get someone a full scholly to SMU?

We're talking about SLU not SMU. Reading comp fail!!! lol :D

LOL- my bad..

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Also remember to apply as early as possible, preferably September or October for the best chance at scholly money.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Just wondering if OP considered applying to WUSTL Joint JD/MSW program. I am assuming you earned your BSW and from what I have learned from website and emails with WUSTL you can actually obtain both these degrees in only 3 years! Anyways it is one of my top choices only because of how short the program is! (University of Texas also has this option and is my number 1 choice btw)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”