+1 to Florida State Admissions Committee

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Clemson11

+1 to Florida State Admissions Committee

Postby Clemson11 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Just wanted to recognize spectacular diligence which should serve as a model to all other law school admission committees.
Monday April 11th I recieved an e-mail from Florida State urging me to complete my pending application on LSAC because the deadline was approaching (5/1). Tuesday evening I did just that and submitted it shortly before midnight. Wednesday I received the usual e-mail about on-line status checkers and their process. Friday (4/15) I checked my status online and saw that a decision had been made and I would be informed via snail mail (my words, not theirs). I thought that surely this was a mistake so I dialed the admissions office and was told that a decision in fact had been made and I had been admitted to Florida State college of Law, class of '14.
I'm still waiting on Alabama since early March, and have narrowed my decision down to Tennessee, Alabama (pending their decision), and now Florida State. I think I will only go the FSU route if their is some money involved, which I doubt being this late in the cycle. Regardless, I was incredibly impressed with their quick review and decision of my application and wanted to recognize it and encourage future applicants to consider FSU. Far too many topics try and foresee the future based on the wait times some schools give us. I too am a victim of this, still in limbo w Alabama which is my top choice.
I encourage posters to also publicly recognize law schools that have a reasonable or expediant wait time, and hopefully this can provide guidance for future law applicants. If you have an anecdote, perhaps keep it to the top-100 schools b/c while diligence in reviewing our applications is always appreciated, I find that the snail's pace is common practice among the T1 and T2 schools.

CanadianWolf

Re: +1 to Florida State Admissions Committee

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Often this varies by applicant. I know of several law schools that treat some applicants just as you were treated by FSU while ignoring others for months.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm

First, congratulations!

Clemson11 wrote:I was incredibly impressed with their quick review and decision of my application and wanted to recognize it and encourage future applicants to consider FSU.

Clemson11 wrote:I encourage posters to also publicly recognize law schools that have a reasonable or expediant wait time, and hopefully this can provide guidance for future law applicants.

Second, it sounds like you're saying that future applicants should consider FSU because they will make a quick decision. If so, that's crazy talk! This is your career - it's worth a few months of anguish/anticipation.

Clemson11

Postby Clemson11 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:First, congratulations!

Clemson11 wrote:I was incredibly impressed with their quick review and decision of my application and wanted to recognize it and encourage future applicants to consider FSU.

Clemson11 wrote:I encourage posters to also publicly recognize law schools that have a reasonable or expediant wait time, and hopefully this can provide guidance for future law applicants.

Second, it sounds like you're saying that future applicants should consider FSU because they will make a quick decision. If so, that's crazy talk! This is your career - it's worth a few months of anguish/anticipation.

You're right, I didn't mean to give the impression that I was campaigning for FSU and obviously a quick turn-around time should not be a guide for where you should attend. But I have read on numerous forums that when narrowing down or deciding between 2 or 3 schools, the handling of an applicant's file (i.e personalized letter, review time, etc.) is important and outstanding service should be recognized. It shouldn't be the guiding decision, but I feel that it does help to inform a potential attendee of relationships one can expect with the faculty or staff.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Your LSAT score of 163 made you an automatic admit at FSU--at least as indicated by lawschoolnumbers.com.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm

did they offer a fee waiver?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Clemson11 wrote:I'm still waiting on Alabama since early March

Making you wait over a month? You have been wronged.

Clemson11

Postby Clemson11 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 pm

gothamm wrote:did they offer a fee waiver?

No, no fee waiver.

Clemson11

Postby Clemson11 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Clemson11 wrote:I'm still waiting on Alabama since early March

Making you wait over a month? You have been wronged.

You're sarcasm lends great humor to the content of this post. I was claiming wrong by Alabama, a month seems to be an average wait time. However, I was only making the point that the 3 day wait was a nice change and I'm sure we could all get use to that kind of turn-around.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”