Deferral Withdrawal Denial

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Here's an actual scenario for you, which rather blew my mind.

A friend of mine was accepted to a T14 last year, and deferred. He does not want to attend this year, and would in fact like to reapply altogether. He wrote to the school to say he would be withdrawing from the 2014 class, and they denied his withdrawal.

The question here is of course, can the school force you to defer indefinitely once you've accepted? Something which might be relevant is that their stated policy is that deferrals are for a maximum of one year.

I think he's getting screwed, but I also don't know what to tell him. I'm pretty sure he'd get into a better school this time around but... that's not really the point. He wants out per their stated policy, and they seem to be breaking that policy in a way that screws him. Any thoughts?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 pm

No, it was just a one year deferral, not an indefinite deferral. Your friend probably just loses his deposit & his place in that class at that law school. And he is prevented from attending any other ABA accredited law school this academic year.

I do not understand the confusion as this is what any law school should & would do, in my opinion, otherwise, every accepted student could defer with the security of an acceptance while playing the field for a better school.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:No, it was just a one year deferral, not an indefinite deferral. Your friend probably just loses his deposit & his place in that class at that law school. And he is prevented from attending any other ABA accredited law school this academic year.

I do not understand the confusion as this is what any law school should & would do, in my opinion, otherwise, every accepted student could defer with the security of an acceptance while playing the field for a better school.


He applied for Class of 2013, deferred to Class of 2014, and they denied his withdrawal from the Class of 2014.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Yes, I understand. That is exactly what any reasonable law school should do; otherwise deferrals would allow one to play the field hoping for a higher ranked law school for the class of 2014.

P.S. Your friend is free to reapply & attend any law school to which he is accepted for the class of 2015.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:36 pm

As long as he is not attending any law school this year I don't think there will be problem.

Maybe your friend should call them and talk to them over the phone? Maybe get it in writing to them that he won't be going to any school this year.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 pm

There is no problem unless your friend enrolls (attempts to enroll) in another ABA accredited law school for this academic year. He should be on a list all law schools receive noting those committed to each particular law school for this academic year. The deferral committment is not indefinite; it just restricts your friend's option for this academic year with respect to ABA accredited law schools.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 pm

He told them he wanted to stay in Gaza for another year, instead of attending the Class of 2014. They told him he was now committed to the Class of 2015 instead of the Class of 2014. Their letter was very specific, and from the Dean.

They made their position pretty clear. I just don't know how... enforceable it is, given that they'd originally told him that he'd only be deferring for one year. This is effectively a 2 year deferral even though their website states that deferrals are for 1 year max.

I know it's confusing, that's why I'm asking. The back story is that they're basically trying to keep his LSAT score - he applied in a bad year, and he'd do much better next year.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm

That's a different matter than what I understood from your original post. Without seeing all of the agreement & knowing all of the facts & circumstances, it is difficult to offer any advice other than for your friend to contact the law school & explain that he no longer wants to attend that law school & that he will not attend any other law school for this academic year.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm

ahduth wrote:He told them he wanted to stay in Gaza for another year, instead of attending the Class of 2014. They told him he was now committed to the Class of 2015 instead of the Class of 2014. Their letter was very specific, and from the Dean.

They made their position pretty clear. I just don't know how... enforceable it is, given that they'd originally told him that he'd only be deferring for one year. This is effectively a 2 year deferral even though their website states that deferrals are for 1 year max.

I know it's confusing, that's why I'm asking. The back story is that they're basically trying to keep his LSAT score - he applied in a bad year, and he'd do much better next year.

That is confusing. That's a unilateral action; unless he agrees to committing to the C/O 2015 he shouldn't have to attend then. He didn't request another deferral, and can't be committed to doing something he never agreed to. He should be able to tell them that he never asked for or agreed to a second deferral and can't be committed to attending the Class of 2015.

However, keep in mind that if he keeps pursuing this, realistically, he's burning bridges with adcomms at a T14.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:45 pm

I agree it does seem confusing. It seems like he needs to call and talk to a live person (probably the dean since the dean wrote the letter) so that he can plead his case and hash things out quickly rather than a bunch of back and forth emails.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ahduth wrote:He told them he wanted to stay in Gaza for another year, instead of attending the Class of 2014. They told him he was now committed to the Class of 2015 instead of the Class of 2014. Their letter was very specific, and from the Dean.

They made their position pretty clear. I just don't know how... enforceable it is, given that they'd originally told him that he'd only be deferring for one year. This is effectively a 2 year deferral even though their website states that deferrals are for 1 year max.

I know it's confusing, that's why I'm asking. The back story is that they're basically trying to keep his LSAT score - he applied in a bad year, and he'd do much better next year.

That is confusing. That's a unilateral action; unless he agrees to committing to the C/O 2015 he shouldn't have to attend then. He didn't request another deferral, and can't be committed to doing something he never agreed to.


This is what I'm thinking. The original deferral policy stated one year, and he agreed to a one year deferral. I think he's free to apply wherever he wants, it's just very weird that they'd try and pull something like this. It's a highly ranked school, not Ave Maria.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm

I think that the law school dean was trying to do your friend a favor & will "release" him from the class of 2015 once your friend makes clear his intentions.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I think that the law school dean was trying to do your friend a favor & will "release" him from the class of 2015 once your friend makes clear his intentions.

This is possible. They may have taken his (vague) statement about staying in Gaza a year as a desire to defer again instead of to withdraw. He should try being more explicit.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Yeah, I'll have to wait for him to email me back to clarify I guess. He really did make it sound like he specifically asked to withdraw, and they said no.

The point about burning bridges is legitimate. It's pretty crappy they put him in this spot however.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Unless there is more to the story, this sounds like an ABA issue.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Deferral Withdrawal Denial

Postby ahduth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Unless there is more to the story, this sounds like an ABA issue.


I mean, you guys are right that they should be able to work it out. I really can't see them taking a hard line on this, it just doesn't make sense. Hell it could have even been some goofball admin using the Dean's account or whatever.

But yeah, if they do take a hard line, I personally sic the ABA on them. This is a 200,000 dollar investment, no way he or anyone else should allow themselves to be pushed around by these schools.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests