Did you/will you take a year off between undergrad and LS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Patriot1208

Re: Did you/will you take a year off between undergrad and LS?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:29 am

I'm definitely not going straight through. I am going to get a job and then decide if law school is the right decision or not. I imagine this will depend on what type of job I get.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Sandro wrote:I think it should be mandatory to have one year off. Kind of like the NBA.

Negative.

I went straight through and don't regret it in the least.

TBF, you haven't had the job worries that most people will run up against. And many would really benefit from having that work experience when it comes time to find a job.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:44 am

I graduated UG in 2008 and have worked at a plaintiff's trial firm since a few months after. While the decision to go straight to LS from UG is of course a personal decision, in my case it has worked out really well. It has reaffirmed my decision to go to LS and has shown me what the day to day work life is like for attorneys (in this area of the law/midlaw firm).

IMO even if someone takes a year off and only bartends or does other restaurant work, it can really help you make your mind up that going to LS is what you want to do. Obviously, any job in the legal field would be better/give you more insight into what you're getting into...

This could be one of those things where you weigh up a Pros/Cons list...

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm definitely not going straight through. I am going to get a job and then decide if law school is the right decision or not. I imagine this will depend on what type of job I get.

Yea, I'd say this is credited for many people. I know the common thing is that you go to law school because you don't have any other options or know what else to do. Well, that's BS. You always have other options, and you should know what they are and why law school is superior to them for you.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Knock wrote:I'm going straight through. While I might be interested in taking a year off, in the end I can't anyways.

This. Plus, I've been chilling all senior year anyway and I'll be chilling all summer. I'm pretty sure I'll be well rested. I'd hate to have to get back into the groove of being a student again. I know myself too well.

+1

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 am

I took two years off, and it was an awesome decision. Learned a lot from TLS, retook, got into better schools w/better $$, am still having a total blast pre-law school.

When you work 9-5, you have a lot of free time to do whatever you want while STILL developing helpful WE and yuppie habits like budgeting and cooking (YMMV? I was an idiot in college).

The biggest plus though is that you are independent and can get drunk/party whenever you want with few consequences. Your job is just entry-level at a place you know you won't be in a year or two (PROTIP: still do a good job hungover. They *are* paying you and will be a future reference.), and it's probably the last time you will not have to be actively considering repercussions of your decisions for the rest of your life.

tl;dr: A+++ would take two years off again.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am

socraticmethodman wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Knock wrote:I'm going straight through. While I might be interested in taking a year off, in the end I can't anyways.

This. Plus, I've been chilling all senior year anyway and I'll be chilling all summer. I'm pretty sure I'll be well rested. I'd hate to have to get back into the groove of being a student again. I know myself too well.

+1

I can definitely understand that point of view. For me though, a few years out of school, coupled with a not-too-great salary, has motivated me to really work my @$$ off in LS. I feel like I've gotten all the drinking/partying out of me, and have had a good look at my successes/failure in UG. Oh crap, I dare say I've matured since 2008...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 am

OP, if you want to not hate your time off in between school, don't do TFA. Everyone I've talked to works super long hours and are really stressed all the time. My old roommate is doing it and was considering quitting after a few weeks in. He's grinding it out, but he still hates being there, hates the kids, and hates not being able to truly help them as much as they need. It's a whole lot of work for minimal reward.

I am finishing up a year off. I graduated in May 2010 and have been using this year to get some WE plus travel a lot and save money. I'm living with my parents, which wasn't the original plan, but housing issues came up that were out of my control and I had to move home on short notice. So living rent/bill free has been great for saving money. I graduated in May and got a job at a law firm in early July. It was a securities litigation firm, which is the area of law I'm about least interested in, so I hated it from day 1. I worked till late November before deciding I couldn't handle the bullshit anymore and quit. I didn't find another paying job until March, but in the meantime I was volunteering a few days a week at the state chapter of the ACLU. It's given me a pretty good insight into what public interest organizations have to face i.e. excessive requests for legal aid with minimal funding. But the people are great and I can speak freely, whereas at the law firm I felt like I was treated like a child. Now, I'm doing random research projects for a health care company. I'll do this until mid to late July and then move for school. I think it'll help my resume and give me something more substantial to talk about with prospective employers.

Also, what I most recommend using the year off for is traveling. Since last May, I've traveled all over the U.S. with friends/visiting friends. This is probably the last time until you're much order you'll have a job where you can take off a bunch of time to travel. At the end of next month, I'm going to Peru to trek the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu and I'm super excited. I probably wouldn't be able to do this anytime soon, especially not during law school or my job straight out. I'll probably take a couple more trips before I move and go to a music festival.

I also will probably have $3,000-4,000+ saved up for 1L year which should help when I want some play money.

TL;DR: You're young. Enjoy it. Take a year off and travel. Work somewhere. Make some money. Have fun. Law school will still be there in a year.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 am

I would HIGHLY suggest taking time off. I took 3 years off between UG and law school. I waited tables for a year before doing volunteer work for a few years in a foreign country. It was a great experience. Having made it through law school and working in biglaw for the past 3 years, I can't stress enough how much you'll treasure the relatively carefree life post-UG.

More to OP's scenario - if OP doesn't even know if s/he wants to be a lawyer, then there is no benefit to rushing straight through. Does OP have any idea what lawyers ACTUALLY do? If not, then I suggest some research is in order. As one poster commented, volunteer at a legal non-profit to get a sense of what PI attorneys do. On the flip side, reach out to your UG to hook you up with an alum who is in private practice (preferably a biglaw attorney and a small firm attorney) so you can get a sense of what these types of attorneys do. See if you can part-time "clerk" at a law firm that will give you an even better sense of what corporate lawyers do. My point, is that if you aren't sure why you're doing law, then you need to seriously re-evaluate. Unless you are getting a free-ride at law school, it doesn't make financial sense to pay $200k for a degree that you don't even know that you want.

Moreover, in my experience, employers generally tend to prefer interesting candidates. Certainly you can be interesting going straight through, but having previous WE that is interesting and shows character will always benefit an applicant. It will allow interviewers to ask you questions easily and you'll be able to respond easily. Entry level biglaw hiring is certainly mostly about pedigree/GPA, but once you've landed a callback interview - the focus is on the person. If you aren't interesting, you'll likely be passed up for a more interesting candidate.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:26 am

I also highly recommend time off, but I will echo everyone who has already noted that this is a personal choice.

Currently I work for a non-profit legal services organization-- so it is relevant to my career goals and has exposed me to some of the lawyer-speak that I'll be immersed in soon enough. I considered doing a volunteer program with my year off, but after finding a job that was aligned with my particular interests and goals, I decided this was the way to go. (FWIW, my resume is already full of public service and volunteer experience. My current job continues this trajectory, but I finally get a paycheck. Though not a very big one.)

By going straight from undergrad to law school, I would have been far more likely to burn out. I did not have the best study habits throughout undergrad, and I've always been successful doing everything the very last minute and under great pressure. My goal is to approach law school differently. Taking time off is (hopefully) allowing me to "reset" before starting a new academic endeavor. I personally feel like I NEED this. I need to gear up for a grueling first year, and I need to be gung-ho about being a law student from day one. Knowing my personality, there is no way I would have approached 1L with the right attitude if I had come straight from undergrad. After taking just a year off, I find that I am actually looking forward to the start of classes in August.

In sum: my "character flaws" and track record in terms of study habits practically required that I take a year off. And I feel all the more healthy for it. But I am certain that other people manage just fine going straight through; furthermore, some personalities are likely better off not waiting a year.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 am

Certainly it is personal, but there are really NO drawbacks to taking time off (unless you can't defer your loans) while there are drawbacks to going straight through (as the above poster has eloquently addressed).

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 pm

I like all the people saying they don't regret going straight from UG, lol.

I'm with bk- for the majority of people there are nothing but positives to taking a year off+. Not only do you get full time work experience, you gain a different perspective, and your lsat score goes up. Sure, its a personal decision.

Ssushi

Postby Ssushi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm

How often is it that schools will defer you for a year or two after acceptance? Quite honestly there is no way i can graduate with my bachelors in poly sci and just float around temp jobs without having some idea of what's in store for the future. I could never travel or even just work, and enjoy myself if i didn't have a good idea of what i was going to do after my little vacation ended.

Also i think there is an opportunity cost to taking a few years off and working as opposed to going straight though. For many of us with the scores, grades and expectations of big law, i feel like it would be a huge waste of time and money to do 2 years working with a law firm as a clerk for 45k, when you could go though law school and put those 2 extra years to work as an attorney making 160k and building a legitimate resume.

Maybe i'm just thinking to far down the line by by the time i get out of law school i will be 24, and much like many people here i have the expectation of doing biglaw at least for a few years out of law school. I would much prefer to be 28 with exit options at big law than being 28 and just starting to get into it. Not to mention i cannot count the number of people who "take a year off" with the intent to come back and they just never get around to it.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Ssushi wrote:How often is it that schools will defer you for a year or two after acceptance? Quite honestly there is no way i can graduate with my bachelors in poly sci and just float around temp jobs without having some idea of what's in store for the future. I could never travel or even just work, and enjoy myself if i didn't have a good idea of what i was going to do after my little vacation ended.

Also i think there is an opportunity cost to taking a few years off and working as opposed to going straight though. For many of us with the scores, grades and expectations of big law, i feel like it would be a huge waste of time and money to do 2 years working with a law firm as a clerk for 45k, when you could go though law school and put those 2 extra years to work as an attorney making 160k and building a legitimate resume.

Maybe i'm just thinking to far down the line by by the time i get out of law school i will be 24, and much like many people here i have the expectation of doing biglaw at least for a few years out of law school. I would much prefer to be 28 with exit options at big law than being 28 and just starting to get into it. Not to mention i cannot count the number of people who "take a year off" with the intent to come back and they just never get around to it.

Big law is a great goal, but don't "expect" it. Also don't expect to make $160,000. The $160k first year associate is more myth than reality. Yes, the jobs exist, but there aren't too many of them.

The downside of going straight through is not having much real world work experience on your resume. Do you think, all things equal, a big law firm would want to hire a 24 year old with zero work experience or a 26 year old with 2 years of working at a law firm or doing something else under their belt?

Also, if you live right, you can save up a good amount of money in your year or two off and minimize your debt, significantly so if you do it right. You seem to not sound very adventurous, but prior to law school is your last time to be young and do some things that require the freedom that comes with having a low stress, low commitment job.

Ssushi

Postby Ssushi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Big law is a great goal, but don't "expect" it. Also don't expect to make $160,000. The $160k first year associate is more myth than reality. Yes, the jobs exist, but there aren't too many of them.
I was under the assumption if you went to a T6 and didn't shoot yourself in the foot, you could land a decent paying law job if you tried. Either way though you would still be getting paid more than a part-time clerk and thus the opportunity cost is still a factor.

The downside of going straight through is not having much real world work experience on your resume. Do you think, all things equal, a big law firm would want to hire a 24 year old with zero work experience or a 26 year old with 2 years of working at a law firm or doing something else under their belt?

I think i would be better off just getting good 1L grades and not being a douche while interviewing. I'm not saying there are not benefits to taking a year off, I'm just saying it has some serious drawbacks that i feel many of you are not considering. Plus i think the earlier you begin your career the more doors you will have open to you.

Also, if you live right, you can save up a good amount of money in your year or two off and minimize your debt, significantly so if you do it right. You seem to not sound very adventurous, but prior to law school is your last time to be young and do some things that require the freedom that comes with having a low stress, low commitment job.

You mean like undergrad? I do maybe 5 hours of work a week outside of finals. Im taking 12 credits both terms my senior year, and i will have the whole summer off. I don't understand why there seems to be this assumption about the need to delay your future to have some more fun. What have you guys been doing since you were 16?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:TBF, you haven't had the job worries that most people will run up against. And many would really benefit from having that work experience when it comes time to find a job.

Yeah, I realize I'm in a unique (and very lucky) position. That always makes it a little odd when I'm trying to give advice.

Edit: I should also say that I had 4 years of substantive work experience during UG (i.e. I didn't wait tables or work in retail) and was promoted twice during my tenure, worked close to 40 hours a week my senior year, and made enough to live on my own if I wanted to. That has definitely contributed to my overall maturity and gave me something to talk about during interviews with employers. All in all, I still think it is a personal choice and there are some students who are mature enough and know that law school is for them. If you're looking at law school as the best alternative to your limited choice, I would wait; but if you know that you really want to go to law school then I'd encourage you to go straight through.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 pm

ITT 0Ls(ssushi) who haven't even graduated write huge posts trying to sound like they know things about taking/not taking a year off

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:TBF, you haven't had the job worries that most people will run up against. And many would really benefit from having that work experience when it comes time to find a job.

Yeah, I realize I'm in a unique (and very lucky) position. That always makes it a little odd when I'm trying to give advice.

Edit: I should also say that I had 4 years of substantive work experience during UG (i.e. I didn't wait tables or work in retail) and was promoted twice during my tenure, worked close to 40 hours a week my senior year, and made enough to live on my own if I wanted to. That has definitely contributed to my overall maturity and gave me something to talk about during interviews with employers. All in all, I still think it is a personal choice and there are some students who are mature enough and know that law school is for them. If you're looking at law school as the best alternative to your limited choice, I would wait; but if you know that you really want to go to law school then I'd encourage you to go straight through.

I didn't know the edited part. Good for you. I still just think that for most, not even taking into account maturity, working is beneficial.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Ssushi wrote:I was under the assumption if you went to a T6 and didn't shoot yourself in the foot, you could land a decent paying law job if you tried. Either way though you would still be getting paid more than a part-time clerk and thus the opportunity cost is still a factor.

There have been plenty of posts on this site that show that this assumption is not true.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Ssushi wrote:I was under the assumption if you went to a T6 and didn't shoot yourself in the foot, you could land a decent paying law job if you tried. Either way though you would still be getting paid more than a part-time clerk and thus the opportunity cost is still a factor...I think i would be better off just getting good 1L grades and not being a douche while interviewing.

The bolded is not necessarily true. Another benefit of waiting is to wait out ITE and this horrible legal job market. Yes, the job market in general is bad, but the legal job market is ESPECIALLY bad. Going into law school thinking that you're just going to ace your classes and do well in interviews and score a 6 figure entry level job is nooooot a good idea, my friend. Additionally, 2 years is not that much of a difference in terms of 'having doors open for you', and in fact the connections you build pre-LS may help you in the future with regards to networking/opening doors. Moreover, you can save up money to ease your future debt at least somewhat.
Ssushi wrote:...I don't understand why there seems to be this assumption about the need to delay your future to have some more fun. What have you guys been doing since you were 16?

My UG experience was fucking amazing. I had great friends, studied abroad for half a year in Europe, did some awesome internships, worked for a great non-profit, probably developed a liver disease. But honestly, I'm 21. I don't want to graduate LS at 24 with $100,000+ in debt, and no experience of living as a young adult outside of a college setting. I think I'd be gypping myself--losing not only a chance to mature before law school (this is more important than you'd think, IMO) but also to do things that I won't get a chance to do in the future. For example--I'd like to visit South America/Asia before LS starts. Visiting SA/Asia as a 21/22 year old is a SIGNIFICANTLY different experience than as a 30/40/50/60 year old (depending on how long I'd have to wait before I could afford the time off/money to travel. On top of that, my plan now is to save up and travel for 3 months. I will never have that opportunity again until I retire, basically.
upfish wrote:...Learned a lot from TLS, retook, got into better schools w/better $$, am still having a total blast pre-law school.
...developing helpful WE and yuppie habits like budgeting and cooking (YMMV? I was an idiot in college).
...it's probably the last time you will not have to be actively considering repercussions of your decisions for the rest of your life.

This is SO CREDITED. I've only been working for a few months but I already can tell that these will be benefits from taking two years off. Especially the TLS comment--just being able to spend the time to stop and really look into LS in a way I didn't as an UG has given me SUGH GREAT perspective.

Finally: this quote:
Ssushi wrote:I'm not saying there are not benefits to taking a year off, I'm just saying it has some serious drawbacks that i feel many of you are not considering. Plus i think the earlier you begin your career the more doors you will have open to you.

makes it seem like you already have decided you'd rather not take time off. If that's true, why bother to ask us? Just do what feels best for you, and don't take time off--go into LS directly. (:

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm

i took two years off, worked at the same firm/studied for lsat (went up 19 points off diagnostic) for the duration and thought it was well worth it. but again, everyone's situation is different.

parsi

Postby parsi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:27 pm

alumniguy wrote:Certainly it is personal, but there are really NO drawbacks to taking time off (unless you can't defer your loans) while there are drawbacks to going straight through (as the above poster has eloquently addressed).

I disagree with the bolded; there definitely can be drawbacks to taking time off. For example, I applied this 2011-2012 cycle while I am in my senior year and am heading to a T6. If I chose to apply next year instead, my GPA would actually have decreased.

Personally, UG has been very easy. I do not feel strained mentally. I worked during the first 3 years of undergrad at a cell phone company working sales with mostly 23+ college grads, so I feel like I can define what I have as reasonable work experience. I also clowned on the LSAT the first time around so taking time off to study doesnt pertain to me.

On the other hand, I have friends who scored poorly on the LSAT but still plan to go to law school this cycle. I plead with them and try to convince them to take time off, study, and retake.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:32 pm

I took 5 years off. I entertained the thought after UG- then taught for a while, and got a master degree. After hating teaching, i stuck it out and did some serious soul searching and research for what I want to do- and where I want to be. Also used the time to prep for the lsat- and made lsat prep my top priority over anything else ( after work). If i couldnt or would not be willing to study for the test instead of going out- then i would not have applied because You need to really want to do this- and be willing to stay in on a friday or saturdya night if that s what it takes to do well.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:35 pm

There is *some* merit to Ssushi's analysis here. Yes, the majority of T6 grads will have a biglaw offer waiting for them - not all, but certainly a majority of their graduates. There are certainly opportunity costs of waiting a year or more to go to law school; however, biglaw is just not like any other job out there.

It is a time intense endeavor that makes incredible demands on your life. There was a great post on here a few days ago that described how biglaw is more difficult that law school in so far as in law school you pretty much decide when/how you study (e.g., you decide to take Tuesday night off because you want to go out to celebrate a friend's birthday and know that you can just work later on Wednesday to get caught back up); however, in biglaw you don't have the luxury of deciding when to work. The deal is closing on Friday and there is simply too much work for you to take the night off to go celebrate your friend's birthday, so you have to miss it.

Additionally, once you get to biglaw, you'll likely won't be talking major amounts of time off. You'll have a week here and a two weeks there. There are no summer vacations to re-center your life. Once you go to law school and start working, the carefree/responsibility-free existence is likely gone - probably forever. Most students have large amounts of debt, students get older and start to "settle down" with families, etc... That 3 week cruise to the Mediterranean, forget about it once you're on the "path."

Now, if you are a senior who has no desires to do anything other than start your career, then you should probably go straight through. I've met few if any people would fall into such a category. These people do exist. In fact, these type of people thrive in biglaw. If you career is THE most important thing in your life, then go for it. However, this is just not true for most people. Most people want to have a successful career, but not at any cost.

Why work for $45k as a clerk? Well, because if you don't have ANY idea of what working in biglaw is like, it would behoove you to experience it before you dedicate three years of your life and tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars preparing to become a lawyer. If I had to guess, then I would say that upwards of 50% of 0Ls that actually saw what biglaw entails on a day-in-day-out basis would probably decide to not go into biglaw. You gain perspective by clerking at a firm and that is its sole purpose.

Ssushi sounds like many a young successful students I've encountered in my life - namely the fear that life is over at 30. It isn't. You'll have plenty of time make millions if you start law school at age 24 vs. age 21. Will you make fewer millions than if you started early, likely yes...but how many millions does one really need to be happy in life?

parsi

Postby parsi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:42 pm

alumniguy wrote:There is *some* merit to Ssushi's analysis here. Yes, the majority of T6 grads will have a biglaw offer waiting for them - not all, but certainly a majority of their graduates. There are certainly opportunity costs of waiting a year or more to go to law school; however, biglaw is just not like any other job out there.

It is a time intense endeavor that makes incredible demands on your life. There was a great post on here a few days ago that described how biglaw is more difficult that law school in so far as in law school you pretty much decide when/how you study (e.g., you decide to take Tuesday night off because you want to go out to celebrate a friend's birthday and know that you can just work later on Wednesday to get caught back up); however, in biglaw you don't have the luxury of deciding when to work. The deal is closing on Friday and there is simply too much work for you to take the night off to go celebrate your friend's birthday, so you have to miss it.

Additionally, once you get to biglaw, you'll likely won't be talking major amounts of time off. You'll have a week here and a two weeks there. There are no summer vacations to re-center your life. Once you go to law school and start working, the carefree/responsibility-free existence is likely gone - probably forever. Most students have large amounts of debt, students get older and start to "settle down" with families, etc... That 3 week cruise to the Mediterranean, forget about it once you're on the "path."

Now, if you are a senior who has no desires to do anything other than start your career, then you should probably go straight through. I've met few if any people would fall into such a category. These people do exist. In fact, these type of people thrive in biglaw. If you career is THE most important thing in your life, then go for it. However, this is just not true for most people. Most people want to have a successful career, but not at any cost.

Why work for $45k as a clerk? Well, because if you don't have ANY idea of what working in biglaw is like, it would behoove you to experience it before you dedicate three years of your life and tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars preparing to become a lawyer. If I had to guess, then I would say that upwards of 50% of 0Ls that actually saw what biglaw entails on a day-in-day-out basis would probably decide to not go into biglaw. You gain perspective by clerking at a firm and that is its sole purpose.

Ssushi sounds like many a young successful students I've encountered in my life - namely the fear that life is over at 30. It isn't. You'll have plenty of time make millions if you start law school at age 24 vs. age 21. Will you make fewer millions than if you started early, likely yes...but how many millions does one really need to be happy in life?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”