Three TSL Myths

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dc1s

Re: Three TSL Myths

Postby dc1s » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Verity wrote:Here are three actual "TSL" myths:

1. High numbers alone can get you into T14 (I have a friend who got wait-listed at UVA with a 180/4.0, so there).

2. Retake is the only option (Yale's gone as low as 156 - it's documented, people).

3. Northwestern is for old people (there happen to be plenty of 30-somethings this year, FYI).

That's how it's done, OP.

1. YP.
2. Exception, not the rule.
3. 30-something is old.

javancho

Postby javancho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:
javancho wrote:
LawSchoolMyths wrote:My main point is not everyone is going to get 170+ and then get into at T14 school but you can still be a successfully lawyer. You just have to be realistic.

By realistic, you mean a "successful" lawyer in debt for most of the remainder of his/her life?

You will be in substantial debt - that is party of going to LS, it is rare to find otherwise. If you don’t like it keep your job as an English teacher making 30K a year.

Is that why you are going to law school? I thought you said earlier that you really wanted to be a lawyer. I guess you forgot to mention that you messed up in college by studying a major which is not very valuable in the real world, or that it would put you in an overcrowded market, thereby wasting a lot of time and money. And now your big solution is... waste (or "invest") even more time and money in an overcrowded professional field - law.
Last edited by javancho on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:41 pm

aliarrow wrote:

1. High numbers alone can get you into T14 (I have a friend who got wait-listed at UVA with a 180/4.0, so there). YP. Satire.

2. Retake is the only option (Yale's gone as low as 156 - it's documented, people). Legacy. Satire.

3. Northwestern is for old people (there happen to be plenty of 30-somethings this year, FYI). NU is for Old People. Satire.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Verity wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

1. High numbers alone can get you into T14 (I have a friend who got wait-listed at UVA with a 180/4.0, so there). YP. Satire.

2. Retake is the only option (Yale's gone as low as 156 - it's documented, people). Legacy. Satire.

3. Northwestern is for old people (there happen to be plenty of 30-somethings this year, FYI). NU is for Old People. Satire.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 pm

1. High numbers alone can get you into T14 (I have a friend who got wait-listed at UVA with a 180/4.0, so there).

2. Retake is the only option (Yale's gone as low as 156 - it's documented, people).

3. Northwestern is for old people (there happen to be plenty of 30-somethings this year, FYI).

I'm srting to lose faith in this site. Wtf are you even talking about now

Edit: if trolling, touché
Last edited by thecilent on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 pm

We can argue all day what the "real myths" are, I am sure everyone has their own version.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:We can argue all day what the "real myths" are, I am sure everyone has their own version.

Yah but your op was retarded

dc1s

Postby dc1s » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:We can argue all day what the "real myths" are, I am sure everyone has their own version.

If everyone has their own version, then there are probably no collective "TSL" myths, and as such, there should be no "Three TSL Myths" thread.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Verity wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

I was waiting for you to figure out how to use the strike-through blocks to finally make your point. Unimpressive.

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 pm

dc1s wrote:

If everyone has their own version, then there are probably no collective "TSL" myths, and as such, there should be no "Three TSL Myths" thread.

And yet there is....and you are posting on it.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 pm

--ImageRemoved--

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Verity wrote:I was waiting for you to figure out how to use the strike-through blocks to finally make your point. Unimpressive.

F off, there were other strike throughs present

dc1s

Postby dc1s » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:
dc1s wrote:

And yet there is....and you are posting on it.

This post made slightly more sense than your OP, I'll give you that.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:My point with GPA is mainly that the best indicator of the future is the past. GPA takes into account your study habits, how quickly you can learn, how hard you wortk etc. Sometimes someone who has had a low GPA in undergrad can get a high one in LS and vice versa, but usually the factors I mentioned stay the same and therefore GPA does as well.

Hey OP:

I finished undergrad with a 2.41 GPA. This fall, I edited my roommate's law school personal statement in which he stated that he graduated "Magnum cum Lade".

Also, my law school GPA was more than 50% higher than my undergraduate GPA. Let that sink in for a minute.

Your "best indicator of the future is the past" reasoning ignores the slightly important fact that you're describing the 18-28 age range. In that age range, the past is a shitty indicator for what someone might do in the future.

What you've propagated here...is...a myth.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 pm

... Shut it down, folks.

Actually, I'm kind of bored. Carry on. IBTL.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Mce252 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
mistergoft wrote:OP I think you meant to flame this site.

Well played.

Did anyone take a look at the tsl.org website? I found a gem in the little worship video embedded on the site:

http://tsl.org/2009/08/beliefs-and-teachings/

I'd like to see someone come up with ONLY 3 myths from TSL, haha. (Sorry if we have any TSL followers amoung us)

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Verity wrote:I was waiting for you to figure out how to use the strike-through blocks to finally make your point. Unimpressive.

You have TLS syndrome. It's like road rage - you act out in an irrational (and illogical) manner that would, in most other social situations, seem uncalled-for. Like learning that you were unable to recognize satire, and then starting a mini-vendetta. In most such face-to-face scenarios, you'd probably just say "Oh....my bad."

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Verity wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

You have TLS syndrome. It's like road rage - you act out in an irrational (and illogical) manner that would, in most other social situations, seem uncalled-for. Like learning that you were unable to recognize satire, and then starting a mini-vendetta. In most such face-to-face scenarios, you'd probably just say "Oh....my bad."

Me striking through the whole thing is a mini-vendetta?

Whatevs

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Verity wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

This certainly calls for a duel.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 pm

I like how page one was serious responses. Come on people can you really not see the trolling?

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 pm

bk1 wrote:I like how page one was serious responses. Come on people can you really not see the trolling?

Shhhhh. I'm bored. Leave it be.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:1. You should "retake" and/or wait until next cycle

The LSAT measures aptitude. Most people will improve to a certain score and it is unlikely they will get any higher. You should take the LSAT twice, at most three times. If you got about what you are scoring on your practice test, you probably won’t do any better. Meanwhile while you are studying and "waiting until next cycle" I am already done with my first year of law school.

3. You will be able to work hard and be in the Top 10% of the class to transfer to a higher ranked school/get the best jobs.

9 out of 10 times, this isn’t going to happen (obviously). The best indicator of the likelihood of this happening is where you are GPA/LSAT wise in the entering class (more so GPA). Believe it or not, law schools use GPA/LSAT scores for a reason – and did so even before USNWR. COMBINED they are the best indicator of how an applicant will do once in law school. If you are not already in the top 10% coming in, class the chances of something changing is unlikely.

3. If you do not go to a T14 School you will not get a job and law school is a waste of time and money.

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer. If you are going for any other reason, it will be a tough three years. Yes, the top law schools will get the best jobs as a whole, but even most of the students from the proverbial TTT schools will get jobs. If you are a good lawyer and work hard, you will be ok. If you are not happy working as a lawyer at 60K a year, you will not be happy working as a lawyer making 120K a year.

1) Don't troll.

2) Don't alt.

3) Learn to count to freaking two.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:00 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
LawSchoolMyths wrote:1. You should "retake" and/or wait until next cycle

The LSAT measures aptitude. Most people will improve to a certain score and it is unlikely they will get any higher. You should take the LSAT twice, at most three times. If you got about what you are scoring on your practice test, you probably won’t do any better. Meanwhile while you are studying and "waiting until next cycle" I am already done with my first year of law school.

3. You will be able to work hard and be in the Top 10% of the class to transfer to a higher ranked school/get the best jobs.

9 out of 10 times, this isn’t going to happen (obviously). The best indicator of the likelihood of this happening is where you are GPA/LSAT wise in the entering class (more so GPA). Believe it or not, law schools use GPA/LSAT scores for a reason – and did so even before USNWR. COMBINED they are the best indicator of how an applicant will do once in law school. If you are not already in the top 10% coming in, class the chances of something changing is unlikely.

3. If you do not go to a T14 School you will not get a job and law school is a waste of time and money.

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer. If you are going for any other reason, it will be a tough three years. Yes, the top law schools will get the best jobs as a whole, but even most of the students from the proverbial TTT schools will get jobs. If you are a good lawyer and work hard, you will be ok. If you are not happy working as a lawyer at 60K a year, you will not be happy working as a lawyer making 120K a year.

1) Don't troll.

2) Don't alt.

3) Learn to count to freaking two.

When someone alts you guys should out them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”