Three TSL Myths

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawSchoolMyths

Re: Three TSL Myths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Well crafted arguement cilent, you must be in the top 10% of your class

javancho

Postby javancho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 pm

thecilent wrote:Wtf are you talking about.

And as far as your first #3 you couldn't be more wrong. Have you ever even spent time on this site? Idiot

I fully agree. This dude has lost it. But hey, the more people are willing to pay sticker for law school, the more scholarship money for many of us...

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 pm

This is really interesting!! Thanks BRO!

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Meh.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 pm

OP,

you da man!

clevermoose

Postby clevermoose » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Meerkat Manor wrote:cool brah, story

:D

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:Well crafted arguement cilent, you must be in the top 10% of your class

Yeah man well I worked really hard so obvi

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Woooow.

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 pm

My main point is not everyone is going to get 170+ and then get into at T14 school but you can still be a successfully lawyer. You just have to be realistic.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:My main point is not everyone is going to get 170+ and then get into at T14 school but you can still be a successfully lawyer. You just have to be realistic.

If that was the main point of the OP i'm not holding out hope for your chances at doing well on law school exams.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:pt Blazer - This study is refering to the LSAT and is giving R squared values for the relationship btween LSAT and LS peformance. To quote the study:

"Moreover a combination of students' [LSAT] scores and undergraduate grade point averages(GPAs) gives a better prediction than either the LSAT or the GPA alone."

I'm not quiet sure if I understand what your issue is. The study relates the LSAT to first year law school performance as well as LSAT and GPA to first year law school performance.

"Correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade-point averages and first-year law school grades ranged from .25 to .62 (median is .47)."

Like I said i agree with some of what you said, although people are right, the first #3 isn't a myth on this site. The only issue I brought up was that you said
"If you are not already in the top 10% coming in, class the chances of something changing is unlikely."

The study I linked shows that the chances of something changing IS likely. However, it might be reasonable to think that we would see less change in the top and bottom 10% and significant change in between.
I agree that LSAT and GPA are the BEST indicators we have, but they are by no means good (edit: maybe a better word would be accurate) indicators, there are countless factors contributing to a person's successes and failures.
Last edited by ptblazer on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
LawSchoolMyths wrote:My main point is not everyone is going to get 170+ and then get into at T14 school but you can still be a successfully lawyer. You just have to be realistic.

If that was the main point of the OP i'm not holding out hope for your chances at doing well on law school exams.

If you couldn't get that maybe you should save your hope for your LS exams

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

If you couldn't get that maybe you should save your hope for your LS exams

So we agree you have no hope to do well?

javancho

Postby javancho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 pm

By realistic, you mean a "successful" lawyer in debt for most of the remainder of his/her life?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Thus far, only Kohinoor and Renzo have egged on well from the sidelines.

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:25 pm

ptblazer wrote:
LawSchoolMyths wrote:pt Blazer - This study is refering to the LSAT and is giving R squared values for the relationship btween LSAT and LS peformance. To quote the study:

"Moreover a combination of students' [LSAT] scores and undergraduate grade point averages(GPAs) gives a better prediction than either the LSAT or the GPA alone."

I'm not quiet sure if I understand what your issue is. The study relates the LSAT to first year law school performance as well as LSAT and GPA to first year law school performance.

"Correlations between LSAT scores combined with undergraduate grade-point averages and first-year law school grades ranged from .25 to .62 (median is .47)."

Like I said i agree with some of what you said, although people are right, the first #3 isn't a myth on this site. The only issue I brought up was that you said
"If you are not already in the top 10% coming in, class the chances of something changing is unlikely."

The study I linked shows that the chances of something changing IS likely. However, it might be reasonable to think that we would see less change in the top and bottom 10% and significant change in between.
I agree that LSAT and GPA are the BEST indicators we have, but they are by no means good indicators, there are countless factors contributing to a person's successes and failures.

Perhaps it should have been phrased "3 0L myths." I was pointing out that for every 10 people, only 1 will be in a position to transfer up and competition is high, so don’t bank on it. And that GPA/LSAT can give you some (not a perfect) indication of how likely this is.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:
Perhaps it should have been phrased "3 0L myths." I was pointing out that for every 10 people, only 1 will be in a position to transfer up and competition is high, so don’t bank on it. And that GPA/LSAT can give you some (not a perfect) indication of how likely this is.

So this whole post revolves around something that has never been adequately, loudly, or clearly stated anywhere else on this site?

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 pm

javancho wrote:

By realistic, you mean a "successful" lawyer in debt for most of the remainder of his/her life?

You will be in substantial debt - that is party of going to LS, it is rare to find otherwise. If you don’t like it keep your job as an English teacher making 30K a year.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm

buckilaw wrote:
mistergoft wrote:OP I think you meant to flame this site.

Well played.

Did anyone take a look at the tsl.org website? I found a gem in the little worship video embedded on the site:

http://tsl.org/2009/08/beliefs-and-teachings/

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:34 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:
javancho wrote:

You will be in substantial debt - that is party of going to LS, it is rare to find otherwise. If you don’t like it keep your job as an English teacher making 30K a year.

Or you could, I don't know...do something else besides be an english teacher or go to law school.

pretzel

Postby pretzel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 pm

LawSchoolMyths wrote:
javancho wrote:

Negative. The party of going to law school is blacking out after Bar Review.

LawSchoolMyths

Postby LawSchoolMyths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Mce252 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
mistergoft wrote:OP I think you meant to flame this site.

Well played.

Did anyone take a look at the tsl.org website? I found a gem in the little worship video embedded on the site:

http://tsl.org/2009/08/beliefs-and-teachings/

That is disturbing, yet awesome

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 pm

nealric wrote:1. Even a few points can work wonders. Our point is not necessarily that you will get a higher score, it's usually that it's not worth going UNLESS you get one.

2. Is not a TLS myth. Everyone agrees with that point.

3. Is not a TLS myth. The TLS advice is that you shouldn't take out $200k+ in loans except at a T14 school.

Thanks for playing.

This is absolutely the credited response.

OP, you are an absolute moron. Clearly you haven't been around TLS ebough to know what the "conventional wisdom" on this site is, because all three of the "myths" that you attribute to the site are, well, myths. You are completely off base. Either 1) you struggle mightily with reading comprehension and thus you fail to understand what we ACTUALLY are saying, or 2) you are just too stubborn to care and you'd rather just make wild assumptions, which allows you to make stupid threads like these.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Here are three actual "TSL" myths:

1. High numbers alone can get you into T14 (I have a friend who got wait-listed at UVA with a 180/4.0, so there).

2. Retake is the only option (Yale's gone as low as 156 - it's documented, people).

3. Northwestern is for old people (there happen to be plenty of 30-somethings this year, FYI).

That's how it's done, OP.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Verity wrote:Here are three actual "TSL" myths:

1. High numbers alone can get you into T14 (I have a friend who got wait-listed at UVA with a 180/4.0, so there). YP

2. Retake is the only option (Yale's gone as low as 156 - it's documented, people). Legacy

3. Northwestern is for old people (there happen to be plenty of 30-somethings this year, FYI). NU is for Old People

That's how it's done, OP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”