How to market/use my Spanish skills when applying or in LS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aliarrow

Re: How to market/use my Spanish skills when applying or in LS?

Postby aliarrow » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Also, if claiming fluency in Spanish on your resume, don't be surprised if much of your interview is conducted in that language.

Heh, I had Spanish on my resume for a position with some insurance company and the interviewer started sprinkling in spanish questions. All I could say was 'eh.... Como se dice.... Este.... Este... No se"

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@IKKI: This is not my experience. Those fluent in Portugeuse seem more adept at "handling" Spanish than vice-versa. In fact many English/Spanish fluent acquaintances have remarked at the difficulty of handling even non-sophisticated conversations in Portugeuse. Spanish fluency does, however, allow for easy transition (and translation) into Italian, based on my limited experience.

I am aware that most universities Spanish departments are "Spanish & Portugeuse", but that may be due to geographical proximity in the Iberian Peninsula & in South America.

Most of my Mexican friends that have studied either in Sao Paulo or Rio have picked up Portuguese fairly quickly. I still think if you're a Spanish native speaker, learning Portuguese and Italian shouldn't be that hard.

Al otro lado, once I do get into a good school (my desire is to head to the west coast and study corporate/contract law) how would I leverage any skills like that in the competitive market of internships and jobs? I have no great desire to practice immigration law, and that's the first thing that jumps out at me... especially if I end up in SoCal.

Op, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:13 am

Ikki wrote:
Al otro lado, once I do get into a good school (my desire is to head to the west coast and study corporate/contract law) how would I leverage any skills like that in the competitive market of internships and jobs? I have no great desire to practice immigration law, and that's the first thing that jumps out at me... especially if I end up in SoCal.

It means "on the other hand." I dont know why he just started using spanglish though.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:29 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
Ikki wrote:

It means "on the other hand." I dont know why he just started using spanglish though.

That's a pretty shitty use of Spanglish, I've never heard that expression. He could have used "por otro lado", "no obstante", "sin embargo", "mas", "Aunque", etc.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am

Ikki wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:
Ikki wrote:

That's a pretty shitty use of Spanglish, I've never heard that expression. He could have used "por otro lado", "no obstante", "sin embargo", "mas", "Aunque", etc.

"Al otro lado" does not mean "on the other hand." Classic bad Spanish, and I'm not even "low fluent."

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:30 am

Pregunte un abogada de una empresa grande si Espanol es beneficial en su trabajo. Ella dijo que un companero de trabajo que habla espanol recibe tareas pequenas que utilizarlo con frequencia de companeros con antiguedad.

My Spanish obviously isn't very good. Hopefully that made sense.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Pregunte un abogada de una empresa grande si Espanol es beneficial en su trabajo. Ella dijo que un companero de trabajo que habla espanol recibe tareas pequenas que utilizarlo con frequencia de companeros con antiguedad.

Lo entendió tan bien, pero es difícil sin los acentos lol.

Que es lo que intentas decir por "compañeros con antigüedad?"

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
"Al otro lado" does not mean "on the other hand." Classic bad Spanish, and I'm not even "low fluent."

Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, don't think he tried to say this:

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:Pregunte un abogada de una empresa grande si Espanol es beneficial en su trabajo. Ella dijo que un companero de trabajo que habla espanol recibe tareas pequenas que utilizarlo con frequencia de companeros con antiguedad.

I'm guessing he meant "senior partners".

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:"Al otro lado" does not mean "on the other hand." Classic bad Spanish, and I'm not even "low fluent."

Yeah I just got sloppy and misused the noun, it should be "parte" not lado.

I have been well-understood the majority of the time on most every topic when speaking to native speakers, and vice-versa. That's why I say "low-end fluency."

I don't claim to have professional capacity without further training, I was just wondering if the skill would potentially be of any use.
Last edited by AlabamaIceman on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Ikki wrote:
AlabamaIceman wrote:

Aha, gotcha.

Are you a native speaker?

Bluben

Postby Bluben » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Yo hablo español. Por favor deme un trabajo que paga mucho. Es todo.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:23 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:
Ikki wrote:
AlabamaIceman wrote:

Aha, gotcha.

Are you a native speaker?

Yeah, I lived in Mexico for 14 years, moved to the U.S. when I started high school.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Ikki wrote:Yeah, I lived in Mexico for 14 years, moved to the U.S. when I started high school.

Mmm. People like you are the reason I suspect I should bother at all, you are worlds better than I'll likely ever be, it just ain't fair lol.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Two consecutive years of living in a Spanish speaking environment after taking at least three continuous years of college level Spanish should give you "proficient" (not fluent) ability. It is, however, important for non-native speakers to continue studying Spanish or to be using the language daily to remain proficient. (Use it or lose it.)

@IKKI: Spanish to Italian is quite simple. Spanish to Portugeuse is certainly facilitated if the fluent Spanish speaker is living & working or studying in Brazil. Certainly Spanish sharpens one's ear for Portugeuse, but the transition to Portugeuse typically requires more work than to Italian. Portugeuse is quite valuable in today's international economy, while Italian is less so.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Two consecutive years of living in a Spanish speaking environment after taking at least three continuous years of college level Spanish should give you "proficient" (not fluent) ability. It is, however, important for non-native speakers to continue studying Spanish or to be using the language daily to remain proficient. (Use it or lose it.)

@IKKI: Spanish to Italian is quite simple. Spanish to Portugeuse is certainly facilitated if the fluent Spanish speaker is living & working or studying in Brazil. Certainly Spanish sharpens one's ear for Portugeuse, but the transition to Portugeuse typically requires more work than to Italian. Portugeuse is quite valuable in today's international economy, while Italian is less so.

Not to be an asshole, but it's "Portuguese". You're probably right, I've talked with Brazilians that don't speak a word of Spanish and it's funny how well we could understand each other, but I know being fluent would probably take more work than learning Italian. But yeah, Italian is basically Spanish with a lot of hand movement.

AlabamaIceman wrote:Mmm. People like you are the reason I suspect I should bother at all, you are worlds better than I'll likely ever be, it just ain't fair lol.

You would be surprised at the wonders that getting a Mexican girlfriend that doesn't know English could do for your Spanish.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Yes, you're correct. Looks like I was using the Italian spelling. :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”