Getting into a relationship before 1L Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AreJay711

Gold

Re: Getting into a relationship before 1L

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:30 pm

MrKappus wrote:Getting into a relationship before 1L is rarely the problem. Getting out of the relationship during 1L definitely can be.
Is it really? Not having any law school experiance I can't see how it would be any harder than normal. People just let shit get to them too much I guess.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm an 0L, but you sound a little too immature to handle being in a relationship and in law school.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Getting into a relationship before 1L is rarely the problem. Getting out of the relationship during 1L definitely can be.
Is it really? Not having any law school experiance I can't see how it would be any harder than normal. People just let shit get to them too much I guess.
Like I said earlier, if a relationship can't survive school which by most accounts require close to a full time job time commitment, how will it survive working from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. plus weekends if you get big law?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Distractions during 1L are bad. If you can get out of a relationship and it has no effect on you, you either have some social affective antisocial disorder (you win!) or you're honestly able to sequester your life into separate parts. Bully for you if it's the latter, but the vast majority of people can't do that.

Edited because I know nothing about psychological terms.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Flips88 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Like I said earlier, if a relationship can't survive school which by most accounts require close to a full time job time commitment, how will it survive working from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. plus weekends if you get big law?
Yeah thats a really good point. You know, I'll probably be working for my construction company where I used to work summers at a "JD prefered" job anyway though lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Really? Desert Fox made it sound like all you do is nothing until finals week.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 pm

I've heard that outside of the weeks surrounding finals its an 8-6, Monday through Friday job. I have no doubt I will be able to keep up my relationship of nearly 3 years.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:47 pm

FiveSermon wrote: Really? Desert Fox made it sound like all you do is nothing until finals week.
It's more like a 9-5 until finals. Some people are lazy pieces of shit like me and it's more like 10-2. And some people are insane, reread shit 3 times, read two supplements, and outline as they go. But even they don't work more than 60 hours a week (of actual work, they might have a toooooon of wasted time reading facebook or whatever).

I knew one guy who tried working 80 hours a week, reading cases only briefly mentioned in the text, going insane. He lasted a month and said "Fuck it, I'm burning myself out, and I don't know the material any better than anyone else."

I'd say the average load is 200-300 pages of reading a week + whatever LRW you have. LWR varies by week and by school.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I've heard that outside of the weeks surrounding finals its an 8-6, Monday through Friday job. I have no doubt I will be able to keep up my relationship of nearly 3 years.
eeeeeh

weeks when you have briefs and lrw work will be more crazy.

I'd say I put in about 4-6 per day after classes which makes it 9-8 or 9

Before finals it's probably 9-11

Also, I definitely put in at least 5 hours on saturday and sunday (sunday is usually 7)

As far as I can tell, this is standard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:53 pm

mths wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I've heard that outside of the weeks surrounding finals its an 8-6, Monday through Friday job. I have no doubt I will be able to keep up my relationship of nearly 3 years.
eeeeeh

Also, I definitely put in at least 5 hours on saturday and sunday (sunday is usually 7)

Mothafuckin' Relevant

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:
mths wrote:
eeeeeh

Mothafuckin' Relevant
SUNY-Ithaca has more rigor than U of C. Surprising.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 pm

mths wrote:
eeeeeh

So 65 hours a week?
Desert Fox wrote: It's more like a 9-5 until finals. Some people are lazy pieces of shit like me and it's more like 10-2. And some people are insane, reread shit 3 times, read two supplements, and outline as they go. But even they don't work more than 60 hours a week (of actual work, they might have a toooooon of wasted time reading facebook or whatever).

I knew one guy who tried working 80 hours a week, reading cases only briefly mentioned in the text, going insane. He lasted a month and said "Fuck it, I'm burning myself out, and I don't know the material any better than anyone else."

I'd say the average load is 200-300 pages of reading a week + whatever LRW you have. LWR varies by week and by school.
That's a lot different than what DF says. I don't think I could put in 65 hours of genuine learning for four straight months.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:31 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote: That's a lot different than what DF says. I don't think I could put in 65 hours of genuine learning for four straight months.
I'm including class time and a lunch and dinner break. It's accurate for a lot of people here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 pm

She says 4-6 after class, and says she stays to 8-9. That means she probably spends the time in between classes socializing. That's very common.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I haven't read all the responses, but moving away with someone that you've only known for a couple of months sounds like a pretty terrible idea. No matter what there are going to be some difficult idiosyncracies each of you have that pop up when you move in together regardless of how long you've known each other. Stacking that on top of the normal getting to know you period sounds like a potential catastrophe when combined with the stress of 1L year.

Live apart for a year but keep in touch. If you both want it after that then go for it.

ETA: Or if somehow you think this could be a once lifetime girl for you then put off law school for a year.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:47 pm

I would suggest that since you only have a few months invested to get out before you start 1L. I choose to stay with my gf who I had been with for 6 years because we had such a long history and we knew each other very well. However, the stresses of law school still pushed our relationship to the very edge. Additionally, my gf understands (to some extent) my stress because she is in a demanding masters program. If your women doesn't have anything going on in her life to keep her very busy or to allow her to understand your situation things could get very messy. My gf still has a hard time understanding how much work 1L year actually requires. So I guess my advice to you is go alone and if it is meant to be it will end up happening.

Also as one poster said, the problem is getting out once the year has started. I know my gf and I contemplated going our separate ways but finding time to make it happen was impossible. In the end I am glad that we were not able to go our separate ways, but just realize moving out mid semester could equal a major headache... one you don't need during 1L.

Just my 2 cents

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:I haven't read all the responses, but moving away with someone that you've only known for a couple of months sounds like a pretty terrible idea.
This is also a great point... I mean she could end up being some crazy demanding bitch... 2 months is nothing I am still getting to my gf who I have dated for 7 years.... just saying

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:She says 4-6 after class, and says she stays to 8-9. That means she probably spends the time in between classes socializing. That's very common.
^

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:36 pm

But doesn't Cornell have 4 substantive classes + LRW? This would add considerably to the workload (versus schools with 3 classes), no?
Last edited by beachbum on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:36 pm

beachbum wrote:But doesn't Cornell have 4 substantive classes + LRW? This would add to the workload, no?
NU has the same.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
beachbum wrote:But doesn't Cornell have 4 substantive classes + LRW? This would add to the workload, no?
NU has the same.
Damn. Don't you all have graded LRW, too?

Edit: Answered my own question: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=142463. I can't imagine having 4 classes + graded LRW. Hats off to you all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 pm

My last yr in undergrad I put in 16 hours between school, work for school, studying for the LSAT and a 50/hour week job, and I survived fine but only did booty calls as I had no time for anything more serious, which I would have liked, but I had to put my other priorities first.

When you say 9 hours a day of work is this including the time you sit in front of the book and don't read. I've toured a lot of law school libraries and they have 1 thing in common - 90% of the students are spacing out, not reading.

If it's only 9 hours, I think I can manage a relationship just fine.

To the guy who said I'm a weirdo, and lucky to get anything at all, love it ;-).

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:My last yr in undergrad I put in 16 hours between school, work for school, studying for the LSAT and a 50/hour week job, and I survived fine but only did booty calls as I had no time for anything more serious, which I would have liked, but I had to put my other priorities first.

When you say 9 hours a day of work is this including the time you sit in front of the book and don't read. I've toured a lot of law school libraries and they have 1 thing in common - 90% of the students are spacing out, not reading.

To the guy who said I'm a weirdo, and lucky to get anything at all, love it ;-).
I don't think you are understanding what kind of reading you're going to be doing. I actually think people handle relationships just fine but don't underestimate what it's like to sit through 4 classes of cold-calling and then spend your evening reading the most dense shit you'll ever see.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 pm

mths wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:My last yr in undergrad I put in 16 hours between school, work for school, studying for the LSAT and a 50/hour week job, and I survived fine but only did booty calls as I had no time for anything more serious, which I would have liked, but I had to put my other priorities first.

I don't think you are understanding what kind of reading you're going to be doing. I actually think people handle relationships just fine but don't underestimate what it's like to sit through 4 classes of cold-calling and then spend your evening reading the most dense shit you'll ever see.
I like the cold calling. I'm not going to be a gunner, but I live on pressure. The dense material does seem rough though. I have to figure out whether I'd be better with the radio on or in silence. A girlfriend could be an issue because I'm a pretty social person, and whenever I had a job that required me to work next to other people, I'd always get too engaged in conversation to get my shit done.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:42 pm

flexityflex86 wrote: I like the cold calling. I'm not going to be a gunner, but I live on pressure. The dense material does seem rough though. I have to figure out whether I'd be better with the radio on or in silence. A girlfriend could be an issue because I'm a pretty social person, and whenever I had a job that required me to work next to other people, I'd always get too engaged in conversation to get my shit done.
You probably won't be studying at home. In any case, I wouldn't recommend studying at home unless you live alone. And if you don't get your shit done, cold calling ceases to be fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”