(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Last edited by AlabamaIceman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knock

Re: Odds of admission on the west coast lower if I'm from Bama?

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:32 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:Alabama. (Topic title cutoff).

I'm taking the LSAT in June, have a 3.98 GPA at Auburn University.

I'm into amateur film production and music, my dream is to work in entertainment law, UCLA or Stanford. But both the LSAT medians and the Admissions profiles for both of those schools are disheartening... that mjority of accepted applicants seem to come from California public schools, and otherwise be attractive for reasons of diversity, and I can't change the fact that I'm a white male.

So since my only local option is U of A (not a bad option, mind, just far-removed from anything intellectual-property or entertainment law), am I at much lower odds for any reason of getting into a good entertainment school in the Hollywood area? What about New York City area, better todds there for whatever reason?

No, it's not going to affect you at all.

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:37 pm

Subtle anti affirmative action trolling

Get a high LSAT score and you'll have nothing to worry about. The majority of law school students are white.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

sfxx wrote:Subtle anti affirmative action trolling

Get a high LSAT score and you'll have nothing to worry about. The majority of law school students are white.

Shut up, please.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Being a white male from Alabama will not be held agaisnt you. Being from Alabama may even help a bit since some schools look for geographic diversity. Either it will not matter at all, or you will get a slight (almost negligible) boost.

With a GPA close to 4 kill the LSAT and you will be in good shape.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm not trolling affirmative action, that's another discussion for another time and place, I'm just examining factual chances of me getting a seat.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/ucla-law-school.html

The class of 2012 is quite diverse, and that does seem to play a factor. Furthermore, while I'm stuck at the school I'm currently at for financial and other reasons (I do like it here but) I must face the fact that It's not a terribly prestigious pre-law undergrad university.

So I'm just concerned for my odds. Especially if I don't perform at top-level on the LSAT.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:44 pm

buckilaw wrote:Being a white male from Alabama will not be held agaisnt you. Being from Alabama may even help a bit since some schools look for geographic diversity. Either it will not matter at all, or you will get a slight (almost negligible) boost.

With a GPA close to 4 kill the LSAT and you will be in good shape.

Even more reason for me to be shitfaced-nervous about the LSAT :cry:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Hope you've got a backup career ambition, because entertainment law is largely a mythical beast for most people who want those jobs.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:19 pm

rad law wrote:Hope you've got a backup career ambition, because entertainment law is largely a mythical beast for most people who want those jobs.

Well my largely speculative understanding is that it's all about connections, but the actual study is more or less the same IP/corporate law, so I hardly feel like I'm locking myself into anything save a personal ambition by holding that goal.

I'm sure if I did manage to graduate well in my class from a law school in Cali, there would be other jobs.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Law school admissions is primarily about the LSAT. So right now that is all you need to worry about.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Many schools love flaunting their geographic diversity, as it seems many of them are piss poor at getting racial diversity.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Near 4.0 GPA.
+
Get LSAT score above 160
=
Get into good law school in Cali

The above with the number 170 replaced for 160 and = get into great law school in Cali or NYC.

The above with the number 175 replaced for 160 and = get into one or two of HYS.

tl;dr: Get an LSAT score and come back. It doesn't matter one tiny bit where you went to school provided GPA and LSAT is high. Seriously.

autao

Postby autao » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:31 pm

I graduated from Auburn had a similar GPA and got into UCLA with a little bit of money. Also white male had a 168 lsat. It will not hold you back.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:40 pm

autao wrote:I graduated from Auburn had a similar GPA and got into UCLA with a little bit of money. Also white male had a 168 lsat. It will not hold you back.

Did they give you a phat scholarship? There is no way I would go to UCLA with a 3.98 and a 168.

autao

Postby autao » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
autao wrote:I graduated from Auburn had a similar GPA and got into UCLA with a little bit of money. Also white male had a 168 lsat. It will not hold you back.

Did they give you a phat scholarship? There is no way I would go to UCLA with a 3.98 and a 168.

GPA was 3.94 and I did not go. they gave 15k a year and I had to negotiate for that and chose not to go.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:44 pm

autao wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

GPA was 3.94 and I did not go. they gave 15k a year and I had to negotiate for that and chose not to go.

Where did you end up going?

autao

Postby autao » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Where did you end up going?[/quote]

Emory for financial and personal reasons.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:00 pm

I don't think coming from Bama hurts your odds. I'm a Georgia grad with a lower GPA and got into UCLA and Boalt. I know a guy from U of A in Huntsville who got into Boalt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”