Retake the LSAT in hopes of getting in to Columbia or NYU? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
otterpotter

New

Retake the LSAT in hopes of getting in to Columbia or NYU?

Post by otterpotter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Here's my situation...URM with low socioeconomic background, kind of crappy UGPA overall, but very strong upward trend- (took 5 years to graduate but last three years had 3.85 or higher) and 163 on LSAT June 2010. I had MONO while taking it, and didn't re take because I couldn't stand the idea of studying for another test.

Got accepted to Fordham and BC, both with good amount of money and put a seat deposit down at Fordham on Friday. I'm wait listed at Columbia and Cornell, and have not yet heard back from NYU.

Do I suck it up and retake the LSAT in June in hopes of getting in off the WL at Columbia or Cornell (or NYU if they don't ding me)? I was scoring 170s on my practice tests and feel *pretty* confident I could hit the score.

My concerns are:
Suppose I bombed and accidentally did worse. What would that mean for my admission to Fordham and the financial aid they promised me?

Also, should I contact NYU now and tell them that I am planning on taking the June LSAT? Would that increase their chances of wait listing me (assuming that I'm not going to be accepted so late in the cycle)?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: waiting another year is not an option. I'm going this September even if it is to Fordham.
Last edited by otterpotter on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Re: Retake the LSAT in hopes of getting in to Columbia or NYU?

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:09 pm

I say retake, and reapply September 1st if you score a 167+. IMO, Fordham is not a Top-Law-School, and shouldn't be considered unless it would be completely free.

otterpotter

New

Post by otterpotter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I say retake, and reapply September 1st if you score a 167+. IMO, Fordham is not a Top-Law-School, and shouldn't be considered unless it would be completely free.
I'm starting this Fall, definitely not waiting another year. Re: your opinion on Fordham -Are you outside of NY? Fordham's got a strong presence here and students compete strongly in the NY market.

dc1s

New

Post by dc1s » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:19 pm

otterpotter wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I say retake, and reapply September 1st if you score a 167+. IMO, Fordham is not a Top-Law-School, and shouldn't be considered unless it would be completely free.
I'm starting this Fall, definitely not waiting another year. Re: your opinion on Fordham -Are you outside of NY? Fordham's got a strong presence here and students compete strongly in the NY market.
If you aren't waiting another year, I think the risk (potentially losing whatever you have with Fordham) outweighs the reward (very low probability of being accepted after such a late LSAT and being so late in the cycle). Do you know how often people are accepted off the wait list after June/July?

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:22 pm

OP- It sounds like you already know what you want to do. With that being said, check to make sure Fordham doesn't average scores, and if they don't, take the LSAT and see what happens

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

otterpotter

New

Post by otterpotter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 pm

dc1s wrote:
otterpotter wrote:
If you aren't waiting another year, I think the risk (potentially losing whatever you have with Fordham) outweighs the reward (very low probability of being accepted after such a late LSAT and being so late in the cycle). Do you know how often people are accepted off the wait list after June/July?
I know 1 person who got in to Cornell that way. The thing is I am not so sure I'm risking anything with Fordham. Most of the $ they gave me was need based anyway. Going to call the financial aid office on Monday and just ask them point blank, I think.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:31 pm

If you were consistently scoring in the 170's, then I think the answer is quite obvious.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Definitely retake, I don't think scoring lower will hurt you, and if you are consistently scoring in the 170's and only scored a 163 due to mono it seems like a pretty safe bet you'd improve.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Do schools even consider June LSATs that were taken the same year as 1L begins? I don't know that they do. Wait a year (I'm not sure why you really have to start this fall) or get used to the idea of Fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:39 pm

otterpotter wrote:
I'm from NY. Fordham is nothing special. It's basically an over-hyped Cardozo. Plus they placed like 25 percent this year, so I wouldn't consider that strong? My point is that a 163 while you were sick is pretty good. I say suck up the hardship of studying for the LSAT and try to get into a good school.

pbutta123

New

Post by pbutta123 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Retake in June. Ive never heard of a law school rescinding an offer after you already got in! lol. So retake if you score 170+ tell Fordham to fuck off because you're going to cornell/nyu/columbia.... And if you really score that 170+ do something fun for a year knowing your getting into a great law school the following year.
Hike up your skirt and start taking practice tests NOW.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:33 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otterpotter

New

Post by otterpotter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:Why isn't waiting a year an option? A URM with a 170+ has a legitimate shot at huge scholarships elsewhere and a really good shot at Columbia/NYU (depending on your GPA). Wouldn't you want to wait a year if it meant you could get a full ride to Fordham?
Fordham doesn't give full rides.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:43 pm

otterpotter wrote:
WhirledWorld wrote:Why isn't waiting a year an option? A URM with a 170+ has a legitimate shot at huge scholarships elsewhere and a really good shot at Columbia/NYU (depending on your GPA). Wouldn't you want to wait a year if it meant you could get a full ride to Fordham?

You'd prolly be looking at a full ride to MVP at a minimum. Fordham would be a complete waste at that point. The fact that Fordham gives absolutely no money is another reason why I think Fordham is crap. They think they're T14-calibre, but stats show that they aren't.

otterpotter

New

Post by otterpotter » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:12 am

icouldbuyu wrote:
otterpotter wrote:

You'd prolly be looking at a full ride to MVP at a minimum. Fordham would be a complete waste at that point. The fact that Fordham gives absolutely no money is another reason why I think Fordham is crap. They think they're T14-calibre, but stats show that they aren't.

I think I would have a shot at making it this year off the WL if I can get 170. I also don't want to leave ny and while there's a lot of reasons I don't want to delay a year the simplest one is I'm already looking at graduating when i'm 30 and I need to get this show on the road. Fordham is giving me $25k - their Max.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:12 am

otterpotter wrote:Here's my situation...URM with low socioeconomic background, kind of crappy UGPA overall, but very strong upward trend- (took 5 years to graduate but last three years had 3.85 or higher) and 163 on LSAT June 2010. I had MONO while taking it, and didn't re take because I couldn't stand the idea of studying for another test.

Got accepted to Fordham and BC, both with good amount of money and put a seat deposit down at Fordham on Friday. I'm wait listed at Columbia and Cornell, and have not yet heard back from NYU.

Do I suck it up and retake the LSAT in June in hopes of getting in off the WL at Columbia or Cornell (or NYU if they don't ding me)? I was scoring 170s on my practice tests and feel *pretty* confident I could hit the score.

My concerns are:
Suppose I bombed and accidentally did worse. What would that mean for my admission to Fordham and the financial aid they promised me?

Also, should I contact NYU now and tell them that I am planning on taking the June LSAT? Would that increase their chances of wait listing me (assuming that I'm not going to be accepted so late in the cycle)?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: waiting another year is not an option. I'm going this September even if it is to Fordham.
If you're not going to wait a year, Fordham isn't a bad backup plan.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:45 am

I don't think that you'd bomb a retake - if you were that much lower than your practice tests, it sounds like you already bombed it once (and that was because of an illness). I'd definitely recommend retaking it, though I don't think it will be considered by schools making decisions for the entering class this fall (at least, not Columbia/NYU). If you're set on starting this year, Fordham isn't a terrible place to study law; however, I think that you'd end up at a much better school if you took the extra year to reapply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

georges2

New

Post by georges2 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Wait.. is there anyway for fordham to know his score(lets supposed he bombs it), if he desn't directly reports it to them?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 pm

First of all, waiting a year is an option there is nobody holding a gun to your head saying you must go to law school NOW

Second, waiting a year could possibly save you tens of thousands of dollars

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:43 pm

gmreplay

Bronze

Post by gmreplay » Mon May 02, 2011 12:57 pm

I got a 161 followed by a 170 and got into CLS. Retake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”