Scholarship Quandary

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scholarship345

Scholarship Quandary

Postby scholarship345 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:46 am

After receiving a scholarship from the school I will be attending next year I traveled a long way to attend the ASW and incurred a lot of expenses I could have done without. Upon coming back I asked for a travel stipend. I legitimately need it because I spent a good amount of money to go all the way to the school and I am in a financial hardship.

I was contacted to say my request was granted but that I would receive it as scholarship. I was told that if that wouldn't help something else would be arranged.

Should I pursue the "something else" to solidify everything I said as being legitimate? My need is legitimate but I feel that if I just accept the scholarship it might give a feeling that I really didn't need it.

Can I just say thank you or should I ask for the alternative payment method?

DreamsInDigital

Re: Scholarship Quandary

Postby DreamsInDigital » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:00 am

scholarship345 wrote:After receiving a scholarship from the school I will be attending next year I traveled a long way to attend the ASW and incurred a lot of expenses I could have done without. Upon coming back I asked for a travel stipend. I legitimately need it because I spent a good amount of money to go all the way to the school and I am in a financial hardship.

I was contacted to say my request was granted but that I would receive it as scholarship. I was told that if that wouldn't help something else would be arranged.

Should I pursue the "something else" to solidify everything I said as being legitimate? My need is legitimate but I feel that if I just accept the scholarship it might give a feeling that I really didn't need it.

Personally I would say "thank you" and accept it. Most likely whatever your financial situation is right now, it will be slightly worse once school starts. I think the school understands this so I don't think it will seem like your don't need it if you take it as a scholarship so that it can help your when school actually starts.

But if your absolutely need the cash now, then ask them about the other options.

javancho

Re: Scholarship Quandary

Postby javancho » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:00 pm

scholarship345 wrote:After receiving a scholarship from the school I will be attending next year I traveled a long way to attend the ASW and incurred a lot of expenses I could have done without. Upon coming back I asked for a travel stipend. I legitimately need it because I spent a good amount of money to go all the way to the school and I am in a financial hardship.

If you are in a financial hardship, why didn't you arrange the stipend and stipulation BEFORE going to the school and taking on the expenses?

On a broader topic, you should also consider if attending this school is worth it BEFORE attending...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”