TLS may very well have saved me 150K+ in debt. Thank You

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FeelTheHeat

Re: TLS may very well have saved me 150K+ in debt. Thank You

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Good luck, and keep in mind you can't put a price on education, and no matter what..if you try hard enough you'll get to where you want to get to.

Can't believe I missed this...I'm going to correlate the above statement to your parents being a fall-back option for you. Its not a risk if you are playing with house money, brother. Not everyone has that luxury.

OP, you've made a good choice and you are clearly comfortable with it. Best of luck in the future, and I apologize for the troll war that is about to erupt ITT.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 pm

My mistake..Carry on guys.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:29 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:Good luck, and keep in mind you can't put a price on education, and no matter what..if you try hard enough you'll get to where you want to get to.

Can't believe I missed this...I'm going to correlate the above statement to your parents being a fall-back option for you. Its not a risk if you are playing with house money, brother. Not everyone has that luxury.

OP, you've made a good choice and you are clearly comfortable with it. Best of luck in the future, and I apologize for the troll war that is about to erupt ITT.

I'm not going to argue here.. I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly..no point in trying to save myself. OP good luck.

bigben

Postby bigben » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:you can't put a price on education

lol

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:34 pm

And we wonder why the housing market collapsed...

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Lol how OP does what is often recommended on TLS (doesn't go to law school since TTT and TTTT were apparently only options) and still gets shit for it.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Lol how OP does what is often recommended on TLS (doesn't go to law school since TTT and TTTT were apparently only options) and still gets shit for it.

No one is antagonizing OP. It's the ones who propose that his decision may be wrong in order to justify their own.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Lol how OP does what is often recommended on TLS (doesn't go to law school since TTT and TTTT were apparently only options) and still gets shit for it.

No one is antagonizing OP. It's the ones who propose that his decision may be wrong in order to justify their own.

You're so right man.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

You're so right man.

:wink:

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

You're so right man.

:wink:

You're making me blush.

javancho

Postby javancho » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:26 pm

It's so refreshing that at least one soul has been saved.

I think that if one has passion, love, and determination to be a lawyer, then one must show them with the proper LSAT and GPA required to go to a Tier 1 school. Gambling 150K to go a TTT (or lower) does not show passion, love, and determination to be a lawyer; rather, it shows recklessness.

OP, law schools will be there next year, and the year after, and the year after... If you truly want to be lawyer, then get off your ass and study for the LSAT for as long as it takes to get a decent score. Depending on you GPA, you need at least a 158, and any extra point after that matters quite a lot... Better schools, or more scholarships, or both. And best of all, a job with a salary that can pay your debt.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Mce252 wrote:

Yea, maybe ppl weren't exactly giving OP crap, but I still found it funny that he/she did what would often be counseled, and at best seemed to get a lukewarm reception (even if it was in fact coming from ppl who are trying to justify their own decisions to attend TTT and TTTT schools).

BTW it's not necessarily immediately clear what you meant by the bolded (though I realize your post got you quite the fan lol); the sentence is incomplete.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Going to school and taking those loans are a huge financial burden. You need to carefully weigh out the pros and cons for doing so. If you really want to be a lawyer and go to law school then you will be allright with taking the time to prepare for the lsat and apply- even if it means you have to take some time off inbetween undergrad and law school. Even if you do this, you may change your mind. There is nothing wrong with that, nor is there any reason to mock, fool, or belittle those that choose to go to TTT or TTTT if they have done their homework, earned a good scholarship and know the risks associated with those schools. In some markets the TTT is a great choice, but for the majority of TTT and TTTT out there they are competing with too many schools to justify the costs. If you sift through some of the posts, and cut out the sarcastic garbage, many posters will say that you need to fully evaluate this decision carefully. How it comes across is another story. In the end though, its up to everyone to make the decision. No one is forcing you to go, nor prevent you from going if thats what it takes for you to be a lawyer.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm

I didn't make this thread to receive praise from people for siding with their previously mentioned advice.

I merely wanted to say that my logic was warped to support my stance that any school was better than none. Financial, that's not true.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

Yea, maybe ppl weren't exactly giving OP crap, but I still found it funny that he/she did what would often be counseled, and at best seemed to get a lukewarm reception (even if it was in fact coming from ppl who are trying to justify their own decisions to attend TTT and TTTT schools).

BTW it's not necessarily immediately clear what you meant by the bolded (though I realize your post got you quite the fan lol); the sentence is incomplete.

It didn't make sense because you probably didn't read the whole thread very well. Replace "it's" with "We're antagonizing".

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:54 am

TOMaHULK wrote:I didn't make this thread to receive praise from people for siding with their previously mentioned advice.

I merely wanted to say that my logic was warped to support my stance that any school was better than none. Financial, that's not true.

This is exactly what I've tried to tell people. It can be very frustrating when people-- who have no clue what they are talking about-- insist that they will go to a terrible school, be top 10% - 25%, and magically make $100,000 starting out and 1/2 a million within 5 years. They won't listen to the advice that this is a bad idea, as the odds are much greater that they will be carrying debt they can't pay for the next 25 years or so. These people often cite a school's skewed employment statistics as a basis for their belief they are going to make it rich through law school. I do feel that I should at least offer a contrary view, whether they listen is up to them. (I know I am far from the only person on TLS with this point of view, but I can only speak for myself, not others on the forum.)

I am so glad you reconsidered what you are doing because of the reality of the financial situation. You made a smart decision.

I have no doubt that you made the right choice.
Last edited by rose711 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks for not cluttering the market any further OP. One less job going to you opens up another for me.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 am

maxm2764 wrote:Thanks for not cluttering the market any further OP. One less job going to you opens up another for me.

This is patently false - what makes you think that OP would get a job coming from a TTT or TTTT?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:02 am

ITT we learn that no matter what one decides regarding law school, TLS will disagree, and that that decision can generate pages and pages of comments.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:11 am

rose711 wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:Thanks for not cluttering the market any further OP. One less job going to you opens up another for me.

This is patently false - what makes you think that OP would get a job coming from a T1, TT, TTT or TTTT?

FTFY.

Also lol. People get jobs. I want a job. He doesn't want a job. Opens one for me.

Where's the falsity?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:39 am

it doesnt open up a job for you but rather reduces the competition for said jobs.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:44 am

Sandro wrote:it doesnt open up a job for you but rather reduces the competition for said jobs.

Exactly. If there were an even number of lawyers as JD-required jobs, then yes, that would indeed open another job for you.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:46 am

Sandro wrote:it doesnt open up a job for you but rather reduces the competition for said jobs.

Exactly. That's what my original post was meant to imply.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I feel that it would be foolish to make this decision based on "what ifs"...because until now I really haven't seen a bunch of young lawyer success stories. Right now I've asked for extentions from schools on the deposits. Perhaps I'll defer one acceptance for a year. If in a year I still want to go, and cannot get into a TT school, I'll have that as an option at least.

Looks like TLS hasn't completely steered you away yet.
Last edited by adonai on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:08 pm

maxm2764 wrote:

Exactly. That's what my original post was meant to imply.

You could just say your original post wasnt mean to be truthful, or whatever that senator said.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”