Dual-Citizen. Help? Hinder? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gaud

Platinum

Dual-Citizen. Help? Hinder?

Post by gaud » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Does being a dual-citizen with a non-URM country help the chances of admission? Weaken? Or do nothing at all?

Thanks

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Dual-Citizen. Help? Hinder?

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 pm

LOL why would you think it would matter at all?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:LOL why would you think it would matter at all?
To clear it up I really didn't think it would matter (im already sending a deposit out for school), it was just more of something that I was wondering.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm

gaud wrote:Does being a dual-citizen with a non-URM country help the chances of admission? Weaken? Or do nothing at all?

Thanks
It's not going to make any difference at all. Except, perhaps, as material for an interesting PS or DS.

Clinkz

New

Post by Clinkz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Since you have a dual-citizenship, you are certainly a lock-in. GJDM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emeth!

New

Post by Emeth! » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:28 pm

gaud wrote:Does being a dual-citizen with a non-URM country help the chances of admission? Weaken? Or do nothing at all?

Thanks

depends on which country it is.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Emeth! wrote:

Thanks

depends on which country it is.

Lol, Ireland

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm

You can mention that you were born in Ireland or whatever, but really, you don't have dual citizenship in America. You might be considered to have dual citizenship in Ireland, but in America, you renounce all other citizenships when you become a citizen. I have "dual citizenship" with England and in England, I am always a citzen - but I would find it unwise to go around telling legal professionals and immigration officers that I have "dual citizenship." Anyway, just phrase it differently. Ad comms knew from my place of birth and my PS that I was born in England and am half Portuguese and English. It helped I guess. I got in everywhere I applied...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Nobody will care. Lots of people have dual citizenship, it doesn't even make for an interesting story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:You can mention that you were born in Ireland or whatever, but really, you don't have dual citizenship in America. You might be considered to have dual citizenship in Ireland, but in America, you renounce all other citizenships when you become a citizen. I have "dual citizenship" with England and in England, I am always a citzen - but I would find it unwise to go around telling legal professionals and immigration officers that I have "dual citizenship." Anyway, just phrase it differently. Ad comms knew from my place of birth and my PS that I was born in England and am half Portuguese and English. It helped I guess. I got in everywhere I applied...
If you get US citizenship at birth, or acquire it before a certain age, you can legally be a dual citizen - depending on how you acquire the other citizenship (it gets complicated). If you acquire US citizenship as an adult, you are supposed to renounce all other citizenships as part of the process - though apparently the government hasn't prosecuted such cases since the '70s. I'm guessing the OP was a US citizen at birth and acquired Irish citizenship through the grandparent rule.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:You can mention that you were born in Ireland or whatever, but really, you don't have dual citizenship in America. You might be considered to have dual citizenship in Ireland, but in America, you renounce all other citizenships when you become a citizen. I have "dual citizenship" with England and in England, I am always a citzen - but I would find it unwise to go around telling legal professionals and immigration officers that I have "dual citizenship." Anyway, just phrase it differently. Ad comms knew from my place of birth and my PS that I was born in England and am half Portuguese and English. It helped I guess. I got in everywhere I applied...
You can have dual citizenship if you were born in the US, but are also a citizen elsewhere (at least this is possible if you're a citizen of your parents' country of origin).

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Bottom line, whether immigration has prosecuted it or not, you actually are not considered by the U.S. (no matter how it is gained) to have dual citizenship. In the other country, sure. But in the U.S., technically and if it ever mattered, you are never a citizen elsewhere unless you are not a U.S. citizen. Trust me, I took a test on it to obtain citizenship. All I was saying was talk about Irish heritage, etc. and not "oh I'm a dual citizen, so I am awesome." Not trying to be rude, but that's how it sounds and it sounds worse if you consider that there is NO SUCH THING as dual citizenship to immigration officers. In other countries, you can say what you want.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Actually, I'm wrong. But the .gov website says dual nationality is discouraged. I don't know, I would say that if your dual citizenship makes you more interesting it would be because you actually have spent a good deal of time in Ireland or have a strong Irish upbringing - so talk about that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”