Remove please. Thanks for the responses.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PriOSky

Remove please. Thanks for the responses.

Postby PriOSky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:50 am

Last edited by PriOSky on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Re: do you choose corporate law?

Postby Cavalier » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am

Each firm has a magical hat that they make you put on the first day you begin working. After taking anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, the hat will bellow "LITIGATION!" or "CORPORATE!" or occasionally "TAX!" and that's where you'll be assigned.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:57 am

Cavalier wrote:Each firm has a magical hat that they make you put on the first day you begin working. After taking anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, the hat will bellow "LITIGATION!" "GRYFFINDOR!" or "CORPORATE!" "SLYTHERIN!" or occasionally "TAX!" "RAVENCLAW!" (nobody wants to be in Ravenclaw) and that's where you'll be assigned.

FTFY.

PriOSky

Postby PriOSky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am

Last edited by PriOSky on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 am

PriOSky wrote:It is ok to talk about having a specific interest in corporate law and wanting to practice corporate law in the personal statement?

You don't write personal statements to law firms. You can indicate interest in a practice group in your cover letter, sure.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 am

corporate law CHOOSES YOU

PriOSky

Postby PriOSky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:40 am

Last edited by PriOSky on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 am

PriOSky wrote:What I meant was, would indicating an interest in corporate law in the personal statement be a turnoff for adcomms because I don't get to choose my practice area after I graduate? Or would it not matter?

The personal statement, as long as it's well written, isn't going to help you. If there were grammatical or spelling errors it could certainly hope. if anything, not writing about wanting to save the world might be refreshing to an adcomm.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 am

PriOSky wrote:What I meant was, would indicating an interest in corporate law in the personal statement be a turnoff for adcomms because I don't get to choose my practice area after I graduate? Or would it be something that I could write about if I'm genuinely interested in corporate law?

did you think this was serious?

Cavalier wrote:Each firm has a magical hat that they make you put on the first day you begin working. After taking anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, the hat will bellow "LITIGATION!" or "CORPORATE!" or occasionally "TAX!" and that's where you'll be assigned.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 am

maxm2764 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Each firm has a magical hat that they make you put on the first day you begin working. After taking anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, the hat will bellow "LITIGATION!" "GRYFFINDOR!" or "CORPORATE!" "SLYTHERIN!" or occasionally "TAX!" "RAVENCLAW!" (nobody wants to be in Ravenclaw) and that's where you'll be assigned. Or, if you're a huge nerd, IP! HUFFLEPUFF!

FTFY.
FTFY

nigelfrost

Postby nigelfrost » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 am

PriOSky wrote:What I meant was, would indicating an interest in corporate law in the personal statement be a turnoff for adcomms because I don't get to choose my practice area after I graduate? Or would it be something that I could write about if I'm genuinely interested in corporate law?

I think you can balance it out by following the sentence indicating your interest in Corporate Law with a sentence that says (in essence) "I am interested in paying the maximum amount to attend your law school."

Chicks AdComms dig that.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm

TTH wrote:
PriOSky wrote:What I meant was, would indicating an interest in corporate law in the personal statement be a turnoff for adcomms because I don't get to choose my practice area after I graduate? Or would it not matter?

The personal statement, as long as it's well written, isn't going to help you. If there were grammatical or spelling errors it could certainly hope. if anything, not writing about wanting to save the world might be refreshing to an adcomm.

+1. And adcom don't care if you have a 170+ LSAT and 3.9+ GPA.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:33 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
TTH wrote:

I found that including how I like to make people cry in my PS helped me out most of all. (Of course, I had requisite spelling/grammar errors, and said I wanted to go to law school irregardless of the economy, so those might of been factors too.)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
TTH wrote:

170 OR 3.8+

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

did you think this was serious?

Cavalier wrote:Each firm has a magical hat that they make you put on the first day you begin working. After taking anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, the hat will bellow "LITIGATION!" or "CORPORATE!" or occasionally "TAX!" and that's where you'll be assigned.

TBF, the post contains an element of truth.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 pm

everybody wants tax law.... EVERYBODY. Or they should.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Tax is the king of biglaw practice groups for jr. associates.

No doc review.
No due diligence.
No spending all night looking for typos and misplaced commas.

You do real, substantive work from day one. The best part is, everyone chooses corp or lit because they think tax is "boring". Suckers.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:29 pm

nealric wrote:

No doc review.
No due diligence.

You do real, substantive work from day one. The best part is, everyone chooses corp or lit because they think tax is "boring". Suckers.

Yeah but ITE is going to look like boom times for you guys when we eventually get that flat tax w/ few/no deductions...

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Yeah but ITE is going to look like boom times for you guys when we eventually get that flat tax w/ few/no deductions...

That will happen around the time we reduce the national debt to zero.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:12 pm

nealric wrote:

That will happen around the time we reduce the national debt to zero.

Yeah, I chuckled when I typed my original post. I'm just jealous of the tax lifestyle.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 pm

nealric wrote:

No doc review.
No due diligence.

How much less taxing is tax than corp or lit? Serious question, tax looks kind of interesting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”