BC sticker????

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pferaso

BC sticker????

Postby pferaso » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi everyone!!! I´m from Colombia (South America) and I´ve been accepted at BC with no scholarship. Do you think it is worth the money?? My family will help me with about US 60.000 so my debt would be around US 100.000.
I may retake the LSAT in October but with two drawbacks 1) I´m already 29 and 2) I may not be able to study for the LSAT and find a job at the same time. In other words, taking the LSAT in October may mean to stay unemployed until the begining of law school in 2012.

bport hopeful

Re: BC sticker????

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Maybe include other acceptances?

pferaso

Postby pferaso » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:40 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Maybe include other acceptances?

yes, I am also considering UGA, but they have not offered me any money yet (I´m negotiating it). Of course, I would prefer the prestige and opportunities that gives BC, I just want to know if the investment is justified.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 pm

pferaso wrote:I´m from Colombia (South America)

LOL. Not Colombia, SC, then?

Are we safe to assume that you want to work in the US afterwards? I doubt anyone here knows much about the market for people with US JDs in Colombia.

Is it also safe to assume that you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder? If so, you will need an employer to sponsor you for a work visa to stay in the US after graduation. That can create complications. For example, you will only be able to stay in the country for a short period of time following graduation on your student visa, so if you don't have a job lined up at graduation, you might be in trouble.

Also, you need to find a way to finance law school, and that will also be more difficult for you than for US students. Alas, I don't know much about the details there.

pferaso

Postby pferaso » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Are we safe to assume that you want to work in the US afterwards? I doubt anyone here knows much about the market for people with US JDs in Colombia.

Is it also safe to assume that you are not a US Citizen or Green Card holder? If so, you will need an employer to sponsor you for a work visa to stay in the US after graduation. That can create complications. For example, you will only be able to stay in the country for a short period of time following graduation on your student visa, so if you don't have a job lined up at graduation, you might be in trouble.

Also, you need to find a way to finance law school, and that will also be more difficult for you than for US students. Alas, I don't know much about the details there.

I didn´t know there is a place called Colombia in SC, funny :D
Your assumptions are correct. I am familiar with the F-1 and H1B visa restrictions. The thing is that it looks like BC` statistics regarding employment and salary are solid. My plan is to earn enough money to pay the debt (I assume that the best place to do it is the U.S.) afterwards it will be a different story....

javancho

Postby javancho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Not worth it!

And very risky, considering your precarious immigration status.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:12 pm

pferaso wrote:I didn´t know there is a place called Colombia in SC, funny :D

Sorry - that was a bad joke. I was implying that people here know where Colombia is, but perhaps that is to assume too much.

Would you get a loan from a bank in Colombia or the US? Have you checked to see whether you can borrow enough? What would happen if you couldn't get a job in the US and you had to go back to Colombia - would you just have to default on the debt or is there a chance you could service the debt with a job in Colombia? How bad for you would it be if you had to default on the debt?

knotoftoads

Postby knotoftoads » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:18 pm

100k is worth it, imo, for a Tier 1 school

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 pm

$100,000 is fine enough for BC. Though I wonder how generous small firms are with sponsoring visas.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:10 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:

Yes, 60 days after graduation. I think it is called a grace period. I know it sucks... :evil:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”