Question regarding GPA (waiting in front of the computer)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
richj24

Question regarding GPA (waiting in front of the computer)

Postby richj24 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Hello!

I have a question regarding LSAC GPAs.

I used to attend a school in Korea. I have about 50~60 credits from there. My grades were very bad. I have about six Fs, only one A. I think my GPA was below 1.0.

Since then, I started as a freshman in the United States. Not only did my old school grades factor in my GPA here, none were added towards my BA here. I did submit transcripts from my old school to my current one for admissions purposes.

Do I still have to submit transcripts from my old school? Even when no credits transferred to this one, nor my BA here?

Thanks heaps.

fundamentallybroken

Re: Question regarding GPA (waiting in front of the computer)

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Call/email LSAC and ask them - it's the only way to know for sure.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 pm

This is just me-- but I wouldn't do it.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 pm

wait, nvm, i didn't see that you submitted ur old transcript to your new school.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 pm

The simple answer to your question seems to be 'yes.'

According to the LSAC website:

You have to send transcripts if "you were directly enrolled at such an institution outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and the total amount of work you completed at all of these institutions combined is the equivalent of more than one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada."

As mentioned above, you would be best to call LSAC to make sure, but this seems fairly clear.

The more complicated question is what LSAC will do with your foreign transcript. Based on what I've read, it looks to me as if they will give you a different kind of evaluation for your foreign courses - called a "JD Foreign CAS evaluation" - and they won't count towards your official LSAC GPA. That's what they do if you complete an entire degree overseas (which I did), and it looks as if the same thing happens if you have only completed part of a degree.

The best way to find out would be to call LSAC. I found them quite helpful when I called.

richj24

Postby richj24 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Wow thank you so much!

I just e-mailed LSAC and now I am waiting for their answer.

I did not know that they evaluated foreign transcripts a little differently! That gives me some hope.

Thank you!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Yeah, obviously the foreign grades will have much less of an impact on your applications if they don't count towards your LSAC GPA - since law school is so much a numbers game. For foreign degrees, they evaluate your grades as either "superior," "above average," "average," or "below average," and you get an overall grade average (like "A-/B+"). I would imagine the same is true for partial degrees, although I don't know for certain.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”