Any use for a non-academic LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Easy-E

Any use for a non-academic LOR?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:38 pm

I've already got one letter in from one of my professors, and I have a few options for a second one. Additionally, one of my lifelong friends father is a judge, who I have done some work for over the years, though nothing in a paralegal sense, just work around the office. Both him and his wife (also lawyer) have mentioned that they would be more than willing to write me a letter of recommendation if need be. I know academic LOR are the preferred, but would something like this be helpful in any sense?

Ziva

Re: Any use for a non-academic LOR?

Postby Ziva » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:40 pm

what are your other options for a second letter?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Ziva wrote:what are your other options for a second letter?

Oh I just meant it was between two other professors I'm considering asking. I had my first one for three classes, and these two for only one this semester, so I'm just playing it safe in case they don't pan out. I guess a better question would be, in ADDITION to two academic letters, would one like the one I described be helpful or not really?

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Two of my letters were from attorneys that I had worked for, and I got into my choice school. I only had one academic LOR, and I never sent it to any schools because it came after my acceptance. hth

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I didn't even have an academic one. Still got into NU, Iowa, Indiana, and Minneapolis

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Two of my letters were from attorneys that I had worked for, and I got into my choice school. I only had one academic LOR, and I never sent it to any schools because it came after my acceptance. hth

Hmm interesting. I always thought academic letters were strong preferred. If you don't mind me asking, in what capacity did you work for the attorneys? Paralegal?

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't even have an academic one. Still got into NU, Iowa, Indiana, and Minneapolis

Damn really. I was under the wrong impression it would seem. So just have two..of any type?

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Two of my letters were from attorneys that I had worked for, and I got into my choice school. I only had one academic LOR, and I never sent it to any schools because it came after my acceptance. hth

Hmm interesting. I always thought academic letters were strong preferred. If you don't mind me asking, in what capacity did you work for the attorneys? Paralegal?

Academic letters are preferred; however, if you worked for someone in the legal community, then that is also a good recommender, especially if you have a good academic one as well. Besides, like you said, you may get two other letters, in which case, pick the two that you think are strongest/say the most about what a great LS student you'll make.

Yes, I am a Paralegal.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Academic letters are preferred; however, if you worked for someone in the legal community, then that is also a good recommender, especially if you have a good academic one as well. Besides, like you said, you may get two other letters, in which case, pick the two that you think are strongest/say the most about what a great LS student you'll make.

Yes, I am a Paralegal.

Thank you for the help, I guess I'll have to weigh the options.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 am

emarxnj wrote:

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't even have an academic one. Still got into NU, Iowa, Indiana, and Minneapolis

Damn really. I was under the wrong impression it would seem. So just have two..of any type?

There are some of us for whom it would be difficult to get academic recs...the last time I saw a prof in an academic setting, as one example, was close to fifteen years ago (she is now an assistant dean for the College).

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 am

emarxnj wrote:

I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Cornell seemed pissed I didn't have one.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Cornell is near the top of my desired schools, so thats very helpful to know, thank you

Well that's one of my most desired schools, so thank you!

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Cornell is near the top of my desired schools, so thats very helpful to know, thank you

Well that's one of my most desired schools, so thank you!

They want two academic.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Not sure why I said that twice in two different wordings. But thanks. I will try and get that second one.

Emeth!

Postby Emeth! » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 pm

emarxnj wrote:I've already got one letter in from one of my professors, and I have a few options for a second one. Additionally, one of my lifelong friends father is a judge, who I have done some work for over the years, though nothing in a paralegal sense, just work around the office. Both him and his wife (also lawyer) have mentioned that they would be more than willing to write me a letter of recommendation if need be. I know academic LOR are the preferred, but would something like this be helpful in any sense?

I had 2 academic letters and one from a legal internship. Got an acceptance phone call from a T10 and got about a half scholly and was told the main reason I was getting money was cuz of an awesome (non-acadmic) rec letter

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I kinda told Cornell to suck a fat one because... they wanted the zip code of my father's high school or something, and I decided I didn't want to fill out the application. Also the formatting on their PDF didn't want to take my date of birth? I'm not quite sure now, but whatever it was, I'm not heading to Ithaca.

Anyhow I gave an academic and a professional. Both had been advisors/supervisors. For me, because I've been out of school so long, the professional one seemed... relevant. Either way it's important that they had direct supervision of your work product, and can testify to both your character and intelligence.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:25 am

Emeth! wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I've already got one letter in from one of my professors, and I have a few options for a second one. Additionally, one of my lifelong friends father is a judge, who I have done some work for over the years, though nothing in a paralegal sense, just work around the office. Both him and his wife (also lawyer) have mentioned that they would be more than willing to write me a letter of recommendation if need be. I know academic LOR are the preferred, but would something like this be helpful in any sense?

I had 2 academic letters and one from a legal internship. Got an acceptance phone call from a T10 and got about a half scholly and was told the main reason I was getting money was cuz of an awesome (non-acadmic) rec letter

Was the recommender an alum or something? That's pretty impressive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”