University of Baltimore

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DcMdVa

University of Baltimore

Postby DcMdVa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:58 pm

For some reason, TLS has not reviewed University of Baltimore. As far as I can tell, it is the highest ranked (#117) school not reviewed. Here is my review:

When you consider UB is only 23k/year (instate) it is a much better deal than many other schools in the area. Plus it is in state with only two law schools (UMD being the other). From what I have heard, it holds its own with UMD in the job market, and even places some people in D.C. Also, UB being relatively large (~300 people per class) has a great alumni network, especially in Baltimore.

In addition, UB is currently building a new Law school. The new Dean (Dean Closius) is coming from University of Toledo, which rose very quickly in the rankings when he was there. It is an exciting time to be at UB and look for it to rise quickly in ranking and reputation.

YankeesFan

Re: University of Baltimore

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Very clearly and adcom and very clearly wrong about tow things.

First, the 23,000 price tag is not much better than schools in the area. In fact, it is the same as the in-state for UMD, a tier one law school.

Second, it is misleading to even hint that it places in DC. I am sure that there are some UB grads in DC who lateral transferred after finishing top of their class and taking one of the few Biglaw positions in Baltimore, but it is downright fallacious to imply that there is even a slight chance a student will end up in DC.

That being said, it is not the worst Tier 3 school out there. It is in a relatively insulated market that doesn't attract many T-14's or other schools in the area and can hold its own in Baltimore. But if there is any way to go to UMD instead (for the same price) that is clearly the mush wiser option.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm

LOL. Surely an adcomm would be more subtle. I am betting this is a student, and it doesn't reflect well on the student body's intelligence if they think people are going to buy this.

DcMdVa

Postby DcMdVa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 pm

UMD is no doubt going to be preferable if you can get in. I was just pointing out that UB is a good deal, when you consider many schools in DC/VA/PA/NJ can be 40K plus.

And UB DOES place in D.C. Consider Law students can place in D.C. for reasons other than they went to at Top 14 school. For instance they have had previous technical career that employers value such as in IP law. Granted, it’s not the norm.

Yes this is a student, and yes the students here are loyal to UB. I'm just saying that UB is not a bad option when you look at all the factors, and its only getting better.

capscapscaps

Postby capscapscaps » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

YankeesFan: I worked at biglaw in DC last year as a paralegal and there were two associates from Baltimore. One of them worked with one of the biggest rainmakers at the firm. These may be exceptions, but this is just one top 100 law firm, with two UB grads that I know of. It's not impossible.

DcMdVa

Postby DcMdVa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

From my experience in law school, there are many brilliant people who have no social skills, which will make it a challenge for them to be successful lawyers. If you are a good lawyer you will do well, even if you didn't go to Yale. If you are a bad lawyer you may start off with the "Big Law" position but word travels quickly in the legal community.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:28 pm

First of all, University of Baltimore is more expensive, without scholarships, than University of Maryland. In fact, the adcom admitted that UB uses some law school money to fund other UB projects ,which is contrary to what Maryland does.

Secondly, ranking wise, UM is MUCH better ranked and more higher regarded in the Maryland area than UB. No question.

However, yes, you can get jobs coming out of UB. I always thought of it though as a sort of diploma mill. Just my take on it.

DcMdVa

Postby DcMdVa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:31 am

Check your facts taxguy: This is from the US News Website, UB is actually $126 cheaper instate.

UMD: In-state, full-time: $25,350 per year, Out-of-state, full-time: $36,629 per year
UB: In-state, full-time: $25,224 per year, Out-of-state, full-time: $37,368 per year

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+5

And no one is claiming UB is better/more highly regarded then UMD. As i mentioned in my previous post, go to UMD if you have the choice. My point simply is UB is a good school for the money - compared to for instance St. John's which is slightly higher ranked (#95) but comes with a price tag of 44K.

As for being a diploma mill, I’m not sure what that even means, but I can tell you the profs at UB are dedicated to teaching, and the career development office and academic support office do a lot for the students.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 am

UBaltimore has some pretty prestigious alumni, including former Police Commissioners.

Autoaccept

Postby Autoaccept » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am

Peter Angelos, also. Speaking of, can someone please go to University of Baltimore, make millions from an asbestos case, and buy the damned Orioles?! This has gone on too long!

DcMdVa

Postby DcMdVa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Hey, the Orioles actually have a winning record right now....Barley.

Also lets not forget Spiro Angew, Vice President under The great president Nixon....also UB alum

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:30 pm

TTH wrote:UBaltimore has some pretty prestigious alumni, including former Police Commissioners.

Hey the girl cop in The Wire was going there PT too I think.

McLusky

Postby McLusky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
TTH wrote:UBaltimore has some pretty prestigious alumni, including former Police Commissioners.

They shot Kima!

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm

McLusky wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

They shot Kima!

Haha yeah I remember that. I think I stopped watching the show at that point. I could never really get into it but everyone else seems to love it.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
McLusky wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

They shot Kima!

Haha yeah I remember that. I think I stopped watching the show at that point. I could never really get into it but everyone else seems to love it.

Gosh, that show was awesome. Come to think of it, UB does have some pretty prestigious alumni...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Stringer Bell thought about going to UB, asked TLS if he should apply, and was told to retake. Then he died.

trollhunter2

Postby trollhunter2 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 pm

"Daniels even has even got a law degree, University of Baltimore, but hey"-Still have trying to decipher that qoute!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm

trollhunter2 wrote:"Daniels even has even got a law degree, University of Baltimore, but hey"-Still have trying to decipher that qoute!

You do realize you are going around necroing threads that are over a year old right?

Wily

Postby Wily » Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 am

Sandro wrote:Stringer Bell thought about going to UB, asked TLS if he should apply, and was told to retake. Then he died.

I lol'ed at this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”