Visiting school that waitlisted me, what should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
logicgamesbrah

Visiting school that waitlisted me, what should I do?

Postby logicgamesbrah » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:33 pm

This Friday I am visiting my #1 school that has waitlisted me. I am going on an hour tour which the website says is led by a student. Obviously I want to make it clear to the school that I am visiting and I want to attend. Is asking to meet with a person from the admissions counsel going too far? What do you guys think are the best ways I can make my presence known and express my interest in the school?

The Valkyrie

Re: Visiting school that waitlisted me, what should I do?

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 pm

show up wearing all of that school's apparel, with a giant foam finger and carrying a boombox blasting the fight song on repeat.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 pm

--LinkRemoved--

nativedelta

Postby nativedelta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I wish I had. I just assumed I would never get into the school off its rather lengthy waitlist. As a result, I never visited the campus.

Lo and behold, I got in at the end of July and was given 24 hours to decide. Since I was 1200 miles away when I got the call, I couldn't get there to see the campus and meet with anyone. I ultimately decided to turn the offer down in favor of the school and scholarship I had already chosen (and visited).

I think it was a mistake.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:show up wearing all of that school's apparel, with a giant foam finger and carrying a boombox blasting the fight song on repeat.

TITCR

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:48 pm

logicgamesbrah wrote:This Friday I am visiting my #1 school that has waitlisted me. I am going on an hour tour which the website says is led by a student. Obviously I want to make it clear to the school that I am visiting and I want to attend. Is asking to meet with a person from the admissions counsel going too far? What do you guys think are the best ways I can make my presence known and express my interest in the school?

make an appt with the dean of admissions, prepare careful questions, and make it clear that you know A LOT about the school and its programs and why you want to be there- dress very professionally, think carefully about smiling and being engaging, and the most important thing is to appear confident, excited, personable, and really engage with the dean of admissions (along with having really well worded, intelligent questions prepared)

logicgamesbrah

Postby logicgamesbrah » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:57 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
logicgamesbrah wrote:This Friday I am visiting my #1 school that has waitlisted me. I am going on an hour tour which the website says is led by a student. Obviously I want to make it clear to the school that I am visiting and I want to attend. Is asking to meet with a person from the admissions counsel going too far? What do you guys think are the best ways I can make my presence known and express my interest in the school?

make an appt with the dean of admissions, prepare careful questions, and make it clear that you know A LOT about the school and its programs and why you want to be there- dress very professionally, think carefully about smiling and being engaging, and the most important thing is to appear confident, excited, personable, and really engage with the dean of admissions (along with having really well worded, intelligent questions prepared)

Alright, gotta admit I will be a little nervous talking to the dean of admissions but I have nothing to lose, thanks for the advice

llamaman

Postby llamaman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Torch it.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm

llamaman wrote:Torch it.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 pm

nativedelta wrote:I wish I had. I just assumed I would never get into the school off its rather lengthy waitlist. As a result, I never visited the campus.

Lo and behold, I got in at the end of July and was given 24 hours to decide. Since I was 1200 miles away when I got the call, I couldn't get there to see the campus and meet with anyone. I ultimately decided to turn the offer down in favor of the school and scholarship I had already chosen (and visited).

I think it was a mistake.

This exact thing happened to me this past week (except I have more time to decide and I was actually in the city of the school that put me on the wait list).

I would call the admissions office and ask talk to admission's officer about your situation. Definitely make it known that you are visiting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”