Is this soft good enough to be a "game changer"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Is this soft good enough to be a "game changer"

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:13 pm

ahduth wrote:
The b school thing is really complicated. I generally agree that for some undergrad it's kinda silly.

But if you've been out of school for ten years? And are considering doing weird tax transactions that banks would use? You might actually meet useful people.

I need a career counselor. I'm putting on some Mingus.

I had a conversation with a bond counsel. I really like bonds and the math behind it. Being a lawyer who knows how to work with the numbers seems to be a really good thing, maybe I can put my math talents to some use finally? Maybe I can turn into a financial advisor for my lawyer friends? :lol: I don't want to work a trading desk for sure, but I wouldn't mind advising people/company. Maybe useful going in-house too.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:That's some bullshit though. EMBA programs are always like that but generally the full time MBA students are the ones who had the more prestigious work experience beforehand and will be going into the more prestigious work experience afterwards. They generally don't have as much experience as the EMBAs but they are looking at a better career.

ETA MBAs are uselss anyways. There is absolutely nothing you learn in an MBA program that you would need that you wouldn't learn on the job. It's all about signaling and networking.

I agree on all points. I need to poke around some before I pluck down the money for it. There are multiple options to put the words Wharton and Finance on my resume for less money, so I will consider those. Networking shouldn't be a problem, I already know quite a few and I will be taking some classes there and socializing anyway.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Hmm have you guys tried to start a business? 1-2 mm as a junior in undergrad is pretty hard to do...OP, go to b-school.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm

glewz wrote:Hmm have you guys tried to start a business? 1-2 mm as a junior in undergrad is pretty hard to do...OP, go to b-school.

Meh, it's a good thing, but I don't think it's that hard. In my undergrad b school there are at least 10-20 kids who are doing that much revenue or more. I actually have a class with a girl who is worth over a million herself because of her website business.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 pm

glewz wrote:Hmm have you guys tried to start a business? 1-2 mm as a junior in undergrad is pretty hard to do...OP, go to b-school.

Online business, not really, depend on what kind. I manage one right now for 5 hours a week. If you are doing the right kind of business it pretty much runs itself.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:That's some bullshit though. EMBA programs are always like that but generally the full time MBA students are the ones who had the more prestigious work experience beforehand and will be going into the more prestigious work experience afterwards. They generally don't have as much experience as the EMBAs but they are looking at a better career.

ETA MBAs are uselss anyways. There is absolutely nothing you learn in an MBA program that you would need that you wouldn't learn on the job. It's all about signaling and networking.

I agree on all points. I need to poke around some before I pluck down the money for it. There are multiple options to put the words Wharton and Finance on my resume for less money, so I will consider those. Networking shouldn't be a problem, I already know quite a few and I will be taking some classes there and socializing anyway.

Fuck wharton, I want to do HBS or Kellogg because they are known to be so fluffy. 2 years of drinking, working less than you would at your full time job, and graduating without grades looks legit to me.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:That's some bullshit though. EMBA programs (and night programs) are always like that but generally the full time MBA students are the ones who had the more prestigious work experience beforehand and will be going into the more prestigious work experience afterwards. They generally don't have as much experience as the EMBAs (and part timers) but they are looking at a better career.

EMBAs are different than actual MBAs. At Stern (unless I've completely misunderstood what's going on), many of the people who are still working a day job take their classes at night. They're separate from the "executive" MBAs who are... I don't know what they're doing.

Patriot1208 wrote:ETA MBAs are uselss anyways. There is absolutely nothing you learn in an MBA program that you would need that you wouldn't learn on the job. It's all about signaling and networking.

I'm going to have to ask you to repeat yourself very, very slowly. Networking? That's actually worth... money? In New York?

Are you sure?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm

not a game changer. I think it is above average at best considering your age. I wouldn't write an addendum about having to "drive home" a lot. Your discomfort and adversity will pale in comparison to others and it will make you look like a wimp to the people on admissions.

Treat your 3.2 the same way anyone else would and get a 170 for a genuine shot at the T14. HTH.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Online business, not really, depend on what kind. I manage one right now for 5 hours a week. If you are doing the right kind of business it pretty much runs itself.

You've also done this before, haven't you?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Fuck wharton, I want to do HBS or Kellogg because they are known to be so fluffy. 2 years of drinking, working less than you would at your full time job, and graduating without grades looks legit to me.

That's up to HLS to decide for me. I have Wharton options right now, starting in the summer, if I decide against the MBA.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 pm

ahduth wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:That's some bullshit though. EMBA programs (and night programs) are always like that but generally the full time MBA students are the ones who had the more prestigious work experience beforehand and will be going into the more prestigious work experience afterwards. They generally don't have as much experience as the EMBAs (and part timers) but they are looking at a better career.

EMBAs are different than actual MBAs. At Stern (unless I've completely misunderstood what's going on), many of the people who are still working a day job take their classes at night. They're separate from the "executive" MBAs who are... I don't know what they're doing.

Patriot1208 wrote:ETA MBAs are uselss anyways. There is absolutely nothing you learn in an MBA program that you would need that you wouldn't learn on the job. It's all about signaling and networking.

I'm going to have to ask you to repeat yourself very, very slowly. Networking? That's actually worth... money? In New York?

Are you sure?

I understand EMBA's are a different beast, but the same concept applies. It's people who have to work through their MBA program because they have less prestigious work experience. You don't see bankers or consultants doing part time programs. You see midlevel managers at medium to large firms who want to make more money at their same firm. Part timers are generally older and won't be transitioning to banking or consulting like most of the full time stern students.

I'm also not seeing what you are getting at with the networking thing. From what i've gathered (looking for a consulting job) networking is about as important as they come.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yup, not extremely profitable due to the line of business (margin's too low). So don't look at revenue. If I sold 500 Mac Book Pro's that'd total $1mil, but you make squat. Come think of it, have developed 3 such site/businesses.

ETA, I am not rich, so don't be so easily impressed with $1 mil :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
I'm also not seeing what you are getting at with the networking thing. From what i've gathered (looking for a consulting job) networking is about as important as they come.

Yup.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yup, not extremely profitable due to the line of business (margin's too low). So don't look at revenue. If I sold 500 Mac Book Pro's that'd total $1mil, but you make squat. Come think of it, have developed 3 such site/businesses.

ETA, I am not rich, so don't be so easily impressed with $1 mil :)

I think the point is that for some kid, that looks more impressive, than for someone with actual work experience.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Yup.

Yeah the sarcasm was lost somewhere in the interwebs. You only go to b school to network.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Yup.

Yeah the sarcasm was lost somewhere in the interwebs. You only go to b school to network.

Gotcha, I thought maybe you were being sarcastic but you never know.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 pm

ahduth wrote:I think the point is that for some kid, that looks more impressive, than for someone with actual work experience.

I was a kid. And I did it with no college degree education and before people were doing websites. It's easy now, just get any open source framework and mod it.

I coded mine from scratch.
Last edited by r6_philly on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Gotcha, I thought maybe you were being sarcastic but you never know.

This is consistent with consultants for sure.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm also on TLS to network, so if anyone wants to get me a job at Bain i'd be happy to talk to you. As you can see by my 11k posts that hasn't been so fruitful.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:I think the point is that for some kid, that looks more impressive, than for someone with actual work experience.

I was a kid. And I did it with no college degree and before people were doing websites. It's easy now, just get any open source framework and mod it.

I coded mine from scratch.

At some point in the next few years we may need to look at developing a platform for more easily off shoring doc review and other excessively expensive legal jobs. We'll be in touch. :D

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm also on TLS to network, so if anyone wants to get me a job at Bain i'd be happy to talk to you. As you can see by my 11k posts that hasn't been so fruitful.

lol

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 pm

ahduth wrote:
At some point in the next few years we may need to look at developing a platform for more easily off shoring doc review and other excessively expensive legal jobs. We'll be in touch. :D

Actually, seriously, I have some really really good ideas that can work in the legal industry. So let's keep in touch.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Actually, seriously, I have some really really good ideas that can work in the legal industry. So let's keep in touch.

Yeah, I don't actually know much about doc review yet. But it really looks like accounts payable processing, which I DO know some things about.

Accounts payable is a necessary expense of running a business. The magic of accounts payable, is that when you reduce the expense to zero, it ceases to... be an expense.

Seems like doc review should see the same thing happen.

But yeah, I'll be around.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Yeah, I don't actually know much about doc review yet. But it really looks like accounts payable processing, which I DO know some things about.

Accounts payable is a necessary expense of running a business. The magic of accounts payable, is that when you reduce the expense to zero, it ceases to... be an expense.

Seems like doc review should see the same thing happen.

But yeah, I'll be around.

Are you an accountant? I have an economics professor who also talks about how accountants in his MBA courses just can't seem to grasp the simplest economic principles.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

ahh, hum not to jump into this partnership like an opportunist

:ok, exactly to jump in on this partnership as an opportunist:

but I have considered outsourcing doc review to a place like Panama, where I have many contacts, because there is quality labor and assignments could be handled in real time. India is great for overnight assignments, but not as good for day assignments.

plus I'm always down for opening another business or two, so count interested if ya want.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”