Is this soft good enough to be a "game changer"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
topsider91

Is this soft good enough to be a "game changer"

Postby topsider91 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 am

Im currently a junior in undergrad with a cumulative 3.2 and ive been in a class for the June LSAT and right now Im testing in the 167-170 range and we are about halfway through the class so Im thinking if I work my ass off I can push into the 170+ range. However a lot of the reason for my low GPA is that through college Ive been starting a website with partners from home, about a 4 hour drive away which has led to me having to commute between college and home a lot which I think might explain the low GPA. This past semester while I havent been going home nearly as much I have a 3.7 and Im wondering if I should write an addendum and if I do how effective will it be? Also is founding and being the CEO of a company (website) that only does about 1-2 million (this isnt my salary, trust me if it were Id bypass law school altogether) in revenue each year enough of a soft to overcome my GPA and give me a shot at the upper t14 schools? I know usually softs have no real effect on admission but I feel like this is extremely unique and Im wondering if given the circumstances it would help me at all...Let me know what you think

YankeesFan

Re: Is this soft good enough to be a "game changer"

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 am

Its a game changer only in as much as it will allow you to ED to Northwestern if you score around a 170.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am

No.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:43 am

So your addendum is going to explain that you have a low GPA because during college you had to drive a lot and worked part-time? Most students work, often multiple jobs, and driving home regularly is far from unusual - even a 4 hour drive.

IMHO, your company would give you better than average softs and a good PS, but would not be a "game changer."
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am

I think most people in this forum will tell you that you need to first take the actual LSAT before trying to determine whether or not you'll make the T14. Also, are you URM? That makes a difference.

You'll get varying responses on what qualifies as a good soft, but I think it's pretty impressive... maybe turn your experience into a killer Personal Statement.

In any case, shoot for the moon on the LSAT, and go from there. Once you have a real score, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.

Also, try Law School Predictor, if you haven't already, to determine what LSAT you need with your GPA to have a shot at T14.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

It's not a "game-changer". It's a potential positive if you can get a 170+ LSAT, but if you can't do that, it won't matter at all.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm

topsider91 wrote:Im currently a junior in undergrad with a cumulative 3.2 and ive been in a class for the June LSAT and right now Im testing in the 167-170 range and we are about halfway through the class so Im thinking if I work my ass off I can push into the 170+ range. However a lot of the reason for my low GPA is that through college Ive been starting a website with partners from home, about a 4 hour drive away which has led to me having to commute between college and home a lot which I think might explain the low GPA. This past semester while I havent been going home nearly as much I have a 3.7 and Im wondering if I should write an addendum and if I do how effective will it be? Also is founding and being the CEO of a company (website) that only does about 1-2 million (this isnt my salary, trust me if it were Id bypass law school altogether) in revenue each year enough of a soft to overcome my GPA and give me a shot at the upper t14 schools? I know usually softs have no real effect on admission but I feel like this is extremely unique and Im wondering if given the circumstances it would help me at all...Let me know what you think

Go to business school instead.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

By "site" he means LMTLSTFY.

Pear alt?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It's not a "game-changer". It's a potential positive if you can get a 170+ LSAT, but if you can't do that, it won't matter at all.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:27 pm

i didnt read ur post, are u getting a rhodes scholly?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm

dood wrote:i didnt read ur post, are u getting a rhodes scholly?

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:Going into business isn't an option? Sounds like that'd be a better fit from what little you've given us.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I don't like when the head of a small business with a 2mil revenue has CEO as a title. :D

But seriously, it's pretty ordinary, it's just WE.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

topsider91 wrote:Im currently a junior in undergrad with a cumulative 3.2 and ive been in a class for the June LSAT and right now Im testing in the 167-170 range and we are about halfway through the class so Im thinking if I work my ass off I can push into the 170+ range. However a lot of the reason for my low GPA is that through college Ive been starting a website with partners from home, about a 4 hour drive away which has led to me having to commute between college and home a lot which I think might explain the low GPA. This past semester while I havent been going home nearly as much I have a 3.7 and Im wondering if I should write an addendum and if I do how effective will it be? Also is founding and being the CEO of a company (website) that only does about 1-2 million (this isnt my salary, trust me if it were Id bypass law school altogether) in revenue each year enough of a soft to overcome my GPA and give me a shot at the upper t14 schools? I know usually softs have no real effect on admission but I feel like this is extremely unique and Im wondering if given the circumstances it would help me at all...Let me know what you think

You might squeak into Cornell. Its "upper" T-14 in that it is ranked higher than Georgetown.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't like when the head of a small business with a 2mil revenue has CEO as a title. :D

Not for business school necessarily. HBS in particular seems to be trying to get younger and younger people.

The whole b school application process is totally different, but you might be surprised how admissions might view that level of commitment and initiative from a junior in undergrad.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I don't like when the head of a small business with a 2mil revenue has CEO as a title. :D

Not for business school necessarily. HBS in particular seems to be trying to get younger and younger people.

The whole b school application process is totally different, but you might be surprised how admissions might view that level of commitment and initiative from a junior in undergrad.

I will see how it stacks up when I apply to Wharton then!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I will see how it stacks up when I apply to Wharton then!

Wharton's all heavy finance... Goldman this, Citadel that...

Do you/we/anyone get an edge if we apply to the b school? A Stern MBA might be alright... I've never really asked the question tbh.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

ahduth wrote:

Do you/we/anyone get an edge if we apply to the b school? A Stern MBA might be alright... I've never really asked the question tbh.

It turns out that I like finance quite a bit so I am going to look into applying for the 3-year JD/MBA. If I can get around to prepping for the GMAT.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

It turns out that I like finance quite a bit so I am going to look into applying for the 3-year JD/MBA. If I can get around to prepping for the GMAT.

Having decided makes it so much harder to troll the other threads. And I don't want to hurt the noobs here...

You're going Penn? Can you still get into the 3 year program?

The thing I've heard about Stern is that the night school people think the full time students are idiots. They did two years of consulting or i banking or whatever and think they shit gold and fart rainbows. The night school is where you need to go for actual business connections, but I have no idea how the two work in tandem. It also could be very different in Philly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 pm

ahduth wrote:
Having decided makes it so much harder to troll the other threads. And I don't want to hurt the noobs here...

The thing I've heard about Stern is that the night school people think the full time students are idiots. They did two years of consulting or i banking or whatever and think they shit gold and fart rainbows. The night school is where you need to go for actual business connections, but I have no idea how the two work in tandem. It also could be very different in Philly.

Haha you can still troll all you want, especially now that you have decided :lol:

I think that's pretty much similar in any school where there is a full time and an executive section. I haven't poked around Wharton a lot before this but I will now. You can apply to the 3 year in 1L year, so that's a huge plus, but you lose the 1L summer to classes and working in corp.

I haven't decided on Penn but I am exploring all the options. The 3 year is a huge plus though, I wish I applied initially.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Haha you can still troll all you want, especially now that you have decided :lol:

I think that's pretty much similar in any school where there is a full time and an executive section. I haven't poked around Wharton a lot before this but I will now. You can apply to the 3 year in 1L year, so that's a huge plus, but you lose the 1L summer to classes and working in corp.

I haven't decided on Penn but I am exploring all the options. The 3 year is a huge plus though, I wish I applied initially.

Way to hijack dude's thread, guys. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Leira7905 wrote:

Dude's got 1 post and never responded. It's free for all. (not that I wouldn't have taken it anyway) :wink:

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:

Dude's got 1 post and never responded. It's free for all. (not that I wouldn't have taken it anyway) :wink:

The b school thing is really complicated. I generally agree that for some undergrad it's kinda silly.

But if you've been out of school for ten years? And are considering doing weird tax transactions that banks would use? You might actually meet useful people.

I need a career counselor. I'm putting on some Mingus.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

That's some bullshit though. EMBA programs (and night programs) are always like that but generally the full time MBA students are the ones who had the more prestigious work experience beforehand and will be going into the more prestigious work experience afterwards. They generally don't have as much experience as the EMBAs (and part timers) but they are looking at a better career.

ETA MBAs are uselss anyways. There is absolutely nothing you learn in an MBA program that you would need that you wouldn't learn on the job. It's all about signaling and networking.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”