LORs- Professor and Employer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wishfulthinker

LORs- Professor and Employer?

Postby Wishfulthinker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum off and on for over a year now and have found it very helpful. I've stumbled upon a question though, and could use some of your input. Would it best to provide 2 LOR's from professors or 1 LOR from a professor and 1 from an employer who knows you pretty well. My dream school expects at least 1 from a professor, so I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

firemed

Re: LORs- Professor and Employer?

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Wishfulthinker wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum off and on for over a year now and have found it very helpful. I've stumbled upon a question though, and could use some of your input. Would it best to provide 2 LOR's from professors or 1 LOR from a professor and 1 from an employer who knows you pretty well. My dream school expects at least 1 from a professor, so I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get all three. Many places will take three. If they only take two, however, just send the academic ones unless you have a lot of job experience and the recommendation is glowing (ie. non-trad, with a letter from a lawyer boss that thinks you are the messiah).

Wishfulthinker

Postby Wishfulthinker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Haha, thanks for your response. I think I will get all 3, since other schools will take them. I've worked for this employer over a year now and though she's not a lawyer, her husband is, whom I also know. Since my dream school wants only two, should I send in the two academic ones, even though I could get an amazing LOR from my boss?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Look on the school's website and see what they say about LORs. Many strongly prefer two academic ones, especially if you have not been out of school for several years.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm

sarahh wrote:Look on the school's website and see what they say about LORs. Many strongly prefer two academic ones, especially if you have not been out of school for several years.

+1

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Wishfulthinker wrote:Haha, thanks for your response. I think I will get all 3, since other schools will take them. I've worked for this employer over a year now and though she's not a lawyer, her husband is, whom I also know. Since my dream school wants only two, should I send in the two academic ones, even though I could get an amazing LOR from my boss?

Send in the two academic ones and save the boss one for a LOCI/backup.

Wishfulthinker

Postby Wishfulthinker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:04 am

coldshoulder wrote: Send in the two academic ones and save the boss one for a LOCI/backup.

Thanks for all of your input everyone! I will do that :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”