I have no hope of getting any LORs.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Youppi315

I have no hope of getting any LORs.

Postby Youppi315 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:43 am

What is one in my situation supposed to do? I never became close with any professors who could write appropriate letters regarding my academic work.

Am I allowed to email professors who I had for multiple semesters and offer a writing sample? I won't be applying until the summer months, so they will likely be out of their offices.

cubswin

Re: I have no hope of getting any LORs.

Postby cubswin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 am

Youppi315 wrote: I won't be applying until the summer months, so they will likely be out of their offices.

You could ask them now, while they are still in their offices.

Youppi315

Postby Youppi315 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 am

cubswin wrote:
Youppi315 wrote: I won't be applying until the summer months, so they will likely be out of their offices.

In all honesty, I am not the most well-adjusted person I know. I'd like to reduce the chances of being awkward if at all possible (I feel like it would be an awkward situation for anyone).

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 am

I had two letters lined up from Profs, one of them came through and one just sort of never turned one in. It was weird and I didn't feel like dealing with it. I got a former employer to write one for me based on my work ethic. You could try this.

Though I wouldnt get two from an employer prolly, you should at least have one prof.

And yeah, its hella awkward.

Youppi315

Postby Youppi315 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 am

bport hopeful wrote:I had two letters lined up from Profs, one of them came through and one just sort of never turned one in. It was weird and I didn't feel like dealing with it. I got a former employer to write one for me based on my work ethic. You could try this.

Though I wouldnt get two from an employer prolly, you should at least have one prof.

And yeah, its hella awkward.

What was your approach when asking the professors for letters? Had you ever visited their offices or seen them outside of class?

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 am

Youppi315 wrote:
cubswin wrote:

In all honesty, I am not the most well-adjusted person I know. I'd like to reduce the chances of being awkward if at all possible (I feel like it would be an awkward situation for anyone).

Now is the time to get over this. If law school is really what you want, the idea that you may be perceived as being awkward by some random professor who doesn't even know you shouldn't be stopping you! I have witnessed professors make sweeping offers to entire classes to write LORs for students considering LS. (Yes, I have actually seen this on more than one occasion).

Yes, it is better for the person writing the LOR to actually know you (for the sake of the quality of the letter), but beggars can't be choosers.

I recommend that you choose the professor that you like the best, (provided you did/are doing well in the class) and stop by to see him during his office hours armed with a copy of your most current resume, and perhaps a writing sample. Sit down, chat it up about how much you love his class, explain your interest in LS, and ask for the recommendation. The worst thing he can do is say "no".... then you just move on to your second favorite prof.

Also, do you have any WE? Any chance an employer will be willing to write one?
Last edited by Leira7905 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 am

Youppi315 wrote:
cubswin wrote:

Professors are asked to write these all the time. It really won't be that bad, especially if (as you said) you've had multiple classes with the professor. Hopefully they were on the small side.

FWIW I requested almost all of my LORs via e-mail (both for law school and when I applied to PhD programs), but they were typically with professors I had developed at least some relationship with. And I was no longer living where my school is at the time. One didn't really remember me, but he was totally fine with writing for me. In your e-mail (if you decide not to man up and go into their offices), include a brief description (and I do mean brief) of why you are interested in law school. (They really don't care about your hopes and dreams all that much, but they want to make sure they aren't recommending someone who is totally clueless.) You should also offer to send them a copy of your transcripts, a paper you wrote for their course, a resume, and ask if there's anything else that might make writing for you easier.

If you are still at school, I suggest going in and asking in person. After you do one, you'll likely be surprised at how friendly the professor is about the whole thing. Also, if you're afraid of this, how are you going to handle interviews as a law student?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 am

Went to their office hours and asked. I picked teachers whos classes I had done well in. I also was a quiet student who didnt have a close relationship with teachers. One of the teachers I had only taken one class with and she was happy to do it (the prof who actually turned it in). I dropped off a paper that she had graded and given me an A in (she wasnt a horribly tough grader, but it was damn near impossible to get an A on anything). I was nervous, but I dont really know why. Its just a strange scenario.

And as far as being well adjusted, Ive been to some ASDs, most law school students are creepy lil weasels, so dont feel weird.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 am

cubswin wrote:Professors are asked to write these all the time. It really won't be that bad, especially if (as you said) you've had multiple classes with the professor. Hopefully they were on the small side.

FWIW I requested almost all of my LORs via e-mail (both for law school and when I applied to PhD programs), but they were typically with professors I had developed at least some relationship with. And I was no longer living where my school is at the time. One didn't really remember me, but he was totally fine with writing for me. In your e-mail (if you decide not to man up and go into their offices), include a brief description (and I do mean brief) of why you are interested in law school. (They really don't care about your hopes and dreams all that much, but they want to make sure they aren't recommending someone who is totally clueless.) You should also offer to send them a copy of your transcripts, a paper you wrote for their course, a resume, and ask if there's anything else that might make writing for you easier.

If you are still at school, I suggest going in and asking in person. After you do one, you'll likely be surprised at how friendly the professor is about the whole thing. Also, if you're afraid of this, how are you going to handle interviews as a law student?

TITCR. Sorry to be harsh, but it's time to grow up, go into your prof's office, and spend an awkward five minutes talking about why you want to go law school and why they should write you what amounts to a form letter.

If you can't do this, you may as well go study IT instead, where it's acceptable to hide in an office all day by yourself.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 pm

I was worried about asking too. Remember, this is part of the job for them. They have probably already written tons of LORS. Sure, if you spoke up and class and went to office hours, you may have gotten a better LOR, but you can still get a good one. Providing a writing sample from the class will help. So will sitting down with the prof. and explaining why you want to go to law school.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 pm

cubswin wrote:
Professors are asked to write these all the time. It really won't be that bad, especially if (as you said) you've had multiple classes with the professor.

This. Most professors view writing LoRs as part of their job; just go in and you'll be surprised how willing most will be to write something for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”