Deciding between low-ranked Law Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dingoesatmybaby

Deciding between low-ranked Law Schools

Postby dingoesatmybaby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 am

I got accepted into plenty of out-of-state schools, but none of which are exceptionally great schools. I got into a few schools that are in the Top 100 such as Hoffstra NY, and Loyola Chicago, as well as some other low ranked schools in California like California Western and Southwestern California.

My question is, seeing as how Hoffstra for example is ranked in the top 100, and looking at their information both on this website and on other law school books, the average earnings and job prospects for a school like that are much higher than graduates of University of Toledo, or other local school choices like Wayne State University. But is the difference really that great that it would be worth turning down a full-ride scholarship to the local University of Toledo (and thus being debt free after graduation) to go out of state to a higher-ranked and more expensive school like Hoffstra? Or in actuality are the differences pretty minuscule, considering the fact that I have scholarship money in Toledo.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by dingoesatmybaby on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Re: Deciding between low-ranked Law Schools

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 am

Answer is retake.

Second answer is Toledo.

dingoesatmybaby

Postby dingoesatmybaby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 am

I wish. I got a 162 on my LSAT and unfortunately that test sucked the life out of me, so I will never retake it. The issue is I had a very low UGPA so thats what hurt me a lot, but I still managed to squeeze my way into a few schools in the bottom half of the Top 100. However the only out of state options I am considering are in NY, Chicago and California. And obviously the only great school in Michigan (University of Michigan) is not an option.

So in your opinion, the advantages of going to an out of state school that is ranked higher like Loyola or Hoffstra are not significant enough to outweigh a full-ride for Toledo?

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:27 pm

dingoesatmybaby wrote:I am a Michigan resident, and am being offered a full-ride scholarship to the University of Toledo, which is a third tier school.

I got accepted into plenty of out-of-state schools, but none of which are exceptionally great schools. I got into a few schools that are in the Top 100 such as Hoffstra NY, and Loyola Chicago, as well as some other low ranked schools in California like California Western and Southwestern California.

My question is, seeing as how Hoffstra for example is ranked in the top 100, and looking at their information both on this website and on other law school books, the average earnings and job prospects for a school like that are much higher than graduates of University of Toledo, or other local school choices like Wayne State University. But is the difference really that great that it would be worth turning down a full-ride scholarship to the local University of Toledo (and thus being debt free after graduation) to go out of state to a higher-ranked and more expensive school like Hoffstra? Or in actuality are the differences pretty minuscule, considering the fact that I have scholarship money in Toledo.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated

To be honest, it's never smart to go to a school that you can't spell right more than once. Hoffstra? You mean Hofstra, correct?

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Retake. Seriously.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Hofstra may be in the top-100 but there is a reason people on this site shit on it all the time: high tuition, high cost of living, insane competition. You never here people say, oh, you want to go to South Carolina at resident tuition, well just kill yourself now. None of the schools you listed are worth their tuition/cost of living.

Those salary figures in the glossy brochures are based on the top of the class. Slim chance of earning those figures so bank on 40-50k (hopefully) and try to keep debt somewhere around this area. Also, what are the Toledo stipulations?

Toledo or retake is the only viable choice.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Actually, move to Mississippi and attend Ole Miss. They're cheap, you'll get in, and they've got the market cornered.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 pm

You should apply to Michigan State. The law school is throwing loads of money at students who sit at or above the median LSAT of 157. I could see the school rising in rank in the coming years and its got strong name recognition to help mitigate its current status. I'm not saying its a great school to place you in Michigan, since Wayne and U Michigan seem to have the market (or whats left of it) corned, but it should help you place in the Midwest region. A substantial number of grads make their way to Illinois. The application deadline is April 30th.
Last edited by mrtoren on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Where do you want to work? Michigan? Somewhere else?

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Toledo is a pretty decent school at full tuition if you don't mind staying in Ohio. If re-taking is not an option, go to Toledo, do well, dominate Ohio. A top ranked graduate at Toledo is going to get a six figure job somewhere in Ohio without much trouble.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

dingoesatmybaby wrote:I wish. I got a 162 on my LSAT and unfortunately that test sucked the life out of me, so I will never retake it.

What do you think law school's going to be like?

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:06 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
dingoesatmybaby wrote:I wish. I got a 162 on my LSAT and unfortunately that test sucked the life out of me, so I will never retake it.

What do you think law school's going to be like?

Easy?

candy1006

Postby candy1006 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:04 pm

i wish i had a 162. i got into cleveland marshall and everyone on top law schools is hating on it. with a score like that, i am sure you wont have a problem being successful. no matter what school you choose.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Free is good.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:13 pm

BruceBarr wrote:Toledo is a pretty decent school at full tuition if you don't mind staying in Ohio. If re-taking is not an option, go to Toledo, do well, dominate Ohio. A top ranked graduate at Toledo is going to get a six figure job somewhere in Ohio without much trouble.

I know a Toledo law grad who has a six figure job at a big law firm. But he was in the top 5 students in his class, and he was hired before ITE. You can get a good job from Toledo, but you would probably need to be in the top 1% of the class with LR. And you certaintly will not be in a position to "dominate" Ohio with OSU, Case, Cincy and T-14 grads all looking for work.

A full ride at Toledo may be the way to go if you refuse to retake - especially since you are a splitter - but be prepared to work at a small law firm if you are ranked #6 instead of #5.

alexanderhamilton

Postby alexanderhamilton » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 pm

A 162? What's your GPA? You could have gotten into Michigan State and if you applied early in the cycle you might have had a decent shot at Indiana-Bloomington, Wisonsin and other Midwestern schools.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

How low is low?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:A 162? What's your GPA? You could have gotten into Michigan State and if you applied early in the cycle you might have had a decent shot at Indiana-Bloomington, Wisonsin and other Midwestern schools.

MSU deadline is April 30th. Theres still time.

alexanderhamilton

Postby alexanderhamilton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 am

True, but might not get much aid this late.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:13 am

Don't pay for Hofstra. It's arguable entrance into the top 100 means little. If you're gonna go to one of these schools, by all means go for free.
HOWEVER, as somebody else pointed out....if the LSAT "sucked the life out of you" you may wanna reconsider law school.
Think of it as taking 4 or 5 LSATs every 6 months for 3 years. And when you're done....you get to take the bar.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:09 am

Its pretty easy to get back to Michigan from UToledo, if thats your plan

deltasigbn

Postby deltasigbn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 pm

deltasigbn wrote:just, no.

FTFY

and TCR is

Ty Webb wrote:Answer is retake.

Second answer is Toledo.

deltasigbn

Postby deltasigbn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 pm

deltasigbn wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
deltasigbn wrote:just, no.

FTFY

and TCR is

Ty Webb wrote:Answer is retake.

Second answer is Toledo.

Nice misquote.

I guess that could be misconstrued as a misquote. should have just crossed it all out, that would have gotten my message across clearer.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”