Cleveland-Marshall vs. FIU-florida international university Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
candy1006

New

Cleveland-Marshall vs. FIU-florida international university

Post by candy1006 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm

CM is ranked 3rd tier but looks like a good school from what i read from the posts and U.S. News Rankings. However, I hear FIU is a great school with low tuition rate; however, it is ranked 4th tier. Please Help!

mettasutta

Bronze

Re: Cleveland-Marshall vs. FIU-florida international university

Post by mettasutta » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Where do you want to practice--OH or FL? Can you claim in-state residency at either school or have scholarship money?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:18 pm

FIU because its not Ohio - that really might be the biggest difference in the two, and I'm being serious. FIU with in state is probably much cheaper as well.

candy1006

New

Post by candy1006 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:44 am

so ohio is a bad place to live? i have never been there. but cleveland is higher ranked from what i understand. also, why do people keep asking, "well, where do you want to practice?" i mean, you can take the bar exam in any state.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 am

candy1006 wrote:so ohio is a bad place to live? i have never been there. but cleveland is higher ranked from what i understand. also, why do people keep asking, "well, where do you want to practice?" i mean, you can take the bar exam in any state.
You can, but if no one in that state is going to hire you, it makes it pointless. Realistically, the few job opportunities you'll have coming out of either of these schools are going to be in the area right around them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 am

Cleveland-Marshall or Florida International are a hell of a lot better of a deal than many of the private schools ranked with or ahead of them.

These are both regional schools; jobs are restricted to their respective areas.

And more information is needed: residency, scholarships/stipulations, total debt, etc. Both states have a shit-load of law schools which definitely doesn't help.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 am

If you are FL in-state, then FIU or retake and go to UF.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am

candy1006 wrote:so ohio is a bad place to live? i have never been there. but cleveland is higher ranked from what i understand. also, why do people keep asking, "well, where do you want to practice?" i mean, you can take the bar exam in any state.
Cleveland is one of the worst places to live in the US...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

candy1006

New

Post by candy1006 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 pm

ouch! that video hurts. very scary. i just dont want to practice in south florida. from what i understand, you have to speak spanish fluently just to get around. both schools are about the same price. i just dont know. seriously my eye is twitching due to stress and i have until friday for seat deposits. thank you all for your opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Unless one of those is free, retake or don't go.

candy1006

New

Post by candy1006 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:18 pm

i was excited about cleveland until i started reading these posts. damn!

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

What are your goals? The chances are very low that either of these schools will help you achieve them, and chances are good that the debt will actively hinder you.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:51 am

candy1006 wrote:ouch! that video hurts. very scary. i just dont want to practice in south florida. from what i understand, you have to speak spanish fluently just to get around. both schools are about the same price. i just dont know. seriously my eye is twitching due to stress and i have until friday for seat deposits. thank you all for your opinions.
I live in South Florida, and I don't speak spanish. Not only that, I work at a firm where the majority don't speak spanish, and we have a few FIU grads here.

With that said, I wouldn't go to either school with anything other than a full scholarship -- and even then I would think long and hard before possibly wasting 3 years of my life and ending up with no legal job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm

A degree from CSU will get you a job in Cleveland, maybe. Good luck taking that degree anywhere else, unless you have solid connections. Same for FIU. This may come as a surprise, but firms in places like NYC aren't flocking to CSU for OCI. Also, I live in Cleveland and bike past CSU on the way to work everyday. I don't like the urban campus. You get the crime of a big city, but none of the entertainment or night life. I've been inside the law building, it's decent, but that's the most I have to say for it. To be honest, if those are your only two options, retake?

Claudius

New

Post by Claudius » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

candy1006 wrote:i was excited about cleveland until i started reading these posts. damn!
I'd be more concerned about the weather in Cleveland than I would be about the hastily made tourist videos. They're funny, but that doesn't have to be your life here. For what it's worth, I've lived in N.E. Ohio my entire life and I'll be attending CSU this Fall.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Claudius wrote:
candy1006 wrote:i was excited about cleveland until i started reading these posts. damn!
I'd be more concerned about the weather in Cleveland than I would be about the hastily made tourist videos. They're funny, but that doesn't have to be your life here. For what it's worth, I've lived in N.E. Ohio my entire life and I'll be attending CSU this Fall.
You should see the weather outside in Miami right now :D

Wactawshus

New

Post by Wactawshus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

rad law wrote:Unless one of those is free, retake or don't go.
See what happened;you pulled his string. Look what you've gone and done.

Seriously though, people spend their whole lives trying to leave Cleveland, and you are considering moving there? NO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 pm

rad law wrote:Unless one of those is free, retake or don't go.
This is VERY good advice actually.

vatech11

New

Post by vatech11 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:
Cleveland is one of the worst places to live in the US...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
Frickin awesome, still laughing

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:05 pm

OP, you need to give us more information. How much is each school going to cost you? Stop freaking out. You will, in all likelihood, be better off waiting a year and retaking. Everyone on TLS will be happy to explain the reasons why to you, just don't get offended (like many do).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”