Harvard's 25% GPA percentile

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Harvard's 25% GPA percentile

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 am

Is Harvard's, or any top school's for that matter, 25% GPA percentile generally composed of those who had +/-grading or come from schools that practice grade deflation?

Patriot1208

Re: Harvard's 25% GPA percentile

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 am

It's going to be mostly composed of urm's, people with great softs like olympic athletes or has a dorm named after them, and people with Lsat's well above the 75th. Depending where you go the makeup will be Different. At harvard it's mostly the first two and maybe some harvard undergrads It's pretty commonly thought that admissions don't really take grade inflation into account. For Harvard specifically it's commonly thought that below a 3.8 and you are going to have a hard time getting in unless you have something else extraordinary going for it.

booyaskeedaddy

Postby booyaskeedaddy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 am

Seoulless wrote:Is Harvard's, or any top school's for that matter, 25% GPA percentile generally composed of those who had +/-grading or come from schools that practice grade deflation?

stfu

Whateverdude

Postby Whateverdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:It's going to be mostly composed of urm's, people with great softs like olympic athletes or has a dorm named after them, and people with Lsat's well above the 75th. Depending where you go the makeup will be Different. At harvard it's mostly the first two and maybe some harvard undergrads It's pretty commonly thought that admissions don't really take grade inflation into account. For Harvard specifically it's commonly thought that below a 3.8 and you are going to have a hard time getting in unless you have something else extraordinary going for it.

You don't have a clue wtf you're talking about.

witorres89

Postby witorres89 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Whateverdude wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:It's going to be mostly composed of urm's, people with great softs like olympic athletes or has a dorm named after them, and people with Lsat's well above the 75th. Depending where you go the makeup will be Different. At harvard it's mostly the first two and maybe some harvard undergrads It's pretty commonly thought that admissions don't really take grade inflation into account. For Harvard specifically it's commonly thought that below a 3.8 and you are going to have a hard time getting in unless you have something else extraordinary going for it.

Lol at ur patriot trolling across multiple threads when he is basically 100% right

Whateverdude

Postby Whateverdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:00 pm

witorres89 wrote:
Whateverdude wrote:

Lol at ur patriot trolling across multiple threads when he is basically 100% right

lol @ "basically 100% right" Tell me, db #2, how many years do you have on the Harvard Admissions Committee? Your wisdom is astounding! And you're so cute, sticking up for your big bwudder like that. Maybe now he won't be so mean to you when you post your nonsense.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Whateverdude wrote:

Deal with the fact that nobody gives a shit about made-up "grade deflation" or bullshit like that.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Whateverdude wrote:
witorres89 wrote:
Whateverdude wrote:

lol @ "basically 100% right" Tell me, db #2, how many years do you have on the Harvard Admissions Committee? Your wisdom is astounding! And you're so cute, sticking up for your big bwudder like that. Maybe now he won't be so mean to you when you post your nonsense.

I'm confused why you asked this. How many years do you have on the Harvard admissions committee?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:42 pm

This is overly harsh. I know people in the 3.7-3.8 zone who aren't URM, don't have great softs or any donations related to them, and who don't got to H undergrad who still got into H. They all had >75th percentile LSATs though.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:22 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

This is overly harsh. I know people in the 3.7-3.8 zone who aren't URM, don't have great softs or any donations related to them, and who don't got to H undergrad who still got into H. They all had >75th percentile LSATs though.

I mean, that was one of the three options I gave. I assume there is probably less of that at harvard than other schools just due to the fact that they have more leeway with numbers.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I think people overstate URM's in the bottom 25% for GPA. Do you really have any idea how many non-Asian URM's there are at good schools? Far less than 25%. Hell generally less than 10%. It's fine to speculate, but a clue.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Whateverdude wrote:

Deal with the fact that nobody gives a shit about made-up "grade deflation" or bullshit like that.

It's not "made-up", but it's true that no one cares.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I think people overstate URM's in the bottom 25% for GPA. Do you really have any idea how many non-Asian URM's there are at good schools? Far less than 25%. Hell generally less than 10%. It's fine to speculate, but a clue.

I think that's being too pessimistic.

Overall law schools are 23% minority with 1/3 of that being Asian. Once you factor that 1/5 of it is non-MX/PR Hispanic then URM's are probably around 12% (which ignores the fact that some non-MX/PR Hispanics seem to get a boost).

Source: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal ... stics.html

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 am

bk1 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I think people overstate URM's in the bottom 25% for GPA. Do you really have any idea how many non-Asian URM's there are at good schools? Far less than 25%. Hell generally less than 10%. It's fine to speculate, but a clue.

I think that's being too pessimistic.

Overall law schools are 23% minority with 1/3 of that being Asian. Once you factor that 1/5 of it is non-MX/PR Hispanic then URM's are probably around 12% (which ignores the fact that some non-MX/PR Hispanics seem to get a boost).

Source: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal ... stics.html

And actually, even that is pessimistic because the top schools seem to have higher percentages of minorities than many of the lower ranked schools. For instance Harvard is 37% minority and if you take the proportions as BK laid them out that gives you around 20% as URM's. Of course it's stupid to think all URM's are under the 25th percentile but considering the boost both in admissions in scholarships it seems pretty fair to assume that a person at median for a school wouldn't attend that school because they could get a full ride to a higher ranked school. It's probably safe to say that at least 80% of the URM's are at least under the 25th in gpa or LSAT. Which means that at least half of that 25 percent is probably URM's.

Whateverdude

Postby Whateverdude » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm confused why you asked this. How many years do you have on the Harvard admissions committee?

None. Which is exactly why I was not offering or defending silly made-up information about the composition of Harvard's class. Do you understand it now?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am

Whateverdude wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I'm confused why you asked this. How many years do you have on the Harvard admissions committee?

None. Which is exactly why I was not offering or defending silly made-up information about the composition of Harvard's class. Do you understand it now?

Would you care to offer a counter argument?

ETA I basically said those under the 25th generally fall under 3 categories, listed them, and then said my understanding was Harvard had more of the first two than the last one. If you have evidence against this that is fine, but i'm guessing not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”