What if you've reached maximum # of LoRs for a school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PrayingforHYS

What if you've reached maximum # of LoRs for a school?

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:21 am

I'd like to send an additional LoR to a few schools where I am currently on the Wait List, but on LSAC, it does not give me that option (i.e. apparently, I've reached the maximum LoRs sent [I sent 3 initially] for that school)

Therefore, how do I go about sending them an additional LoR? Do I have to contact the school directly and ask them to free up my individual account to send another (seems very inconvenient)?

Also, how long does it typically take between the time you send a LoR on LSAC and the time it reaches a law school? Is it same day, or does it take a few days? I ask b/c I have a strategy when it comes to timing.

Thanks for the help.

Mce252

Re: What if you've reached maximum # of LoRs for a school?

Postby Mce252 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:25 am

PrayingforHYS wrote:I'd like to send an additional LoR to a few schools where I am currently on the Wait List, but on LSAC, it does not give me that option (i.e. apparently, I've reached the maximum LoRs sent [I sent 3 initially] for that school)

Therefore, how do I go about sending them an additional LoR? Do I have to contact the school directly and ask them to free up my individual account to send another (seems very inconvenient)?

Also, how long does it typically take between the time you send a LoR on LSAC and the time it reaches a law school? Is it same day, or does it take a few days? I ask b/c I have a strategy when it comes to timing.

Thanks for the help.

Some schools give you specific instructions in your waitlist letter for sending in additional materials. The most important thing about additional an letter of recommendation is making sure that it's substantial. If so, I would have it mailed directly to admissions.

esq

Postby esq » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 am

Why would you want to send them an additional LOR when they obviously don't want more than 3? I would only send exactly what they want, you might hurt your chances if you don't follow the schools' directions. In fact I would even send less than the LSAC lets you if a school states that they want less than the allowable LSAC limit.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:33 am

esq wrote:Why would you want to send them an additional LOR when they obviously don't want more than 3? I would only send exactly what they want, you might hurt your chances if you don't follow the schools' directions. In fact I would even send less than the LSAC lets you if a school states that they want less than the allowable LSAC limit.

If I'm on the WL, though, what do I have to lose by sending an additional LoR that I believe will be a strong recommendation? The only downside would be if they were considering accepting me and then I send an additional LoR and they're so offended that they keep me on the WL - but that seems like an unlikely/odd situation
Mce252 wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:I'd like to send an additional LoR to a few schools where I am currently on the Wait List, but on LSAC, it does not give me that option (i.e. apparently, I've reached the maximum LoRs sent [I sent 3 initially] for that school)

Thanks for the help.

Some schools give you specific instructions in your waitlist letter for sending in additional materials. The most important thing about additional an letter of recommendation is making sure that it's substantial. If so, I would have it mailed directly to admissions.

Will schools accept LoRs sent directly from a prof? I'd think there'd be an issue of verifying that it's legit (which is why you use LSAC in the first place), but please correct me if this is an acceptable practice for people on the WL

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:35 am

PrayingforHYS wrote:
esq wrote:Why would you want to send them an additional LOR when they obviously don't want more than 3? I would only send exactly what they want, you might hurt your chances if you don't follow the schools' directions. In fact I would even send less than the LSAC lets you if a school states that they want less than the allowable LSAC limit.

If I'm on the WL, though, what do I have to lose by sending an additional LoR that I believe will be a strong recommendation? The only downside would be if they were considering accepting me and then I send an additional LoR and they're so offended that they keep me on the WL - but that seems like an unlikely/odd situation
Mce252 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Will schools accept LoRs sent directly from a prof? I'd think there'd be an issue of verifying that it's legit (which is why you use LSAC in the first place), but please correct me if this is an acceptable practice for people on the WL

I would just call the school and ask about it. I sent one to a school and just made sure it was signed. They added it to my file without question.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:39 am

--LinkRemoved--

There you go.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 am

ResolutePear wrote:--LinkRemoved--

There you go.

Thank you.

For others wondering, one person recommends:

"19. If I am waitlisted, can I send an additional LOR?
Yes, you certainly can. However, you should send it directly to the school and not through LSAC"

...while another thread recommends not sending an additional LoR to a school where you've reached the max

Of the schools where I've been WL'ed, there is 1 (maybe 2) where I've reached the max. I can understand how it would "reflect poorly" (in the thread's parlance) on an applicant to send an additional LoR, but when you're talking about someone trying to get in off the WL, is this really such a negative? It just seems like it has more of an upside (good LoR may help you get accepted) than downside

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 am

Only consider sending if LOR makes you sound like the messiah.

If so, contact admissions and ask if they would accept, and if they say yes, ask them where to send it.

/thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”