Why Do People Fudge Their #s on LSN?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AntipodeanPhil

Why Do People Fudge Their #s on LSN?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 pm

I've been looking at a lot of Law School Numbers profiles recently, and I keep seeing people who state they are posting slightly inaccurate numbers which they will fix after the applications seasons is over. Why do people do that? What are they worried about? I just don't get it.

txadv11

Re: Why Do People Fudge Their #s on LSN?

Postby txadv11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I've been looking at a lot of Law School Numbers profiles recently, and I keep seeing people who state they are posting slightly inaccurate numbers which they will fix after the applications seasons is over. Why do people do that? What are they worried about? I just don't get it.

I spoke with an admissions officer for a school that said they look at that site regularly. I guess anonymity, so schools can't see your other offers and screw you during scholarship negotiations.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 pm

txadv11 wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:I've been looking at a lot of Law School Numbers profiles recently, and I keep seeing people who state they are posting slightly inaccurate numbers which they will fix after the applications seasons is over. Why do people do that? What are they worried about? I just don't get it.

I spoke with an admissions officer for a school that said they look at that site regularly. I guess anonymity, so schools can't see your other offers and screw you during scholarship negotiations.

I wonder if they browse TLS as often as well.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Holy Cow! I can't believe they have the time to do that. I guess I'll alter my profile - right now I have so much info there they would recognize me in a flash.

I would never have guessed that was the reason. It seems ridiculous to me.

Thanks for your help!

Linksys

Postby Linksys » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 am

txadv11 wrote:

how would they know who you are?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 am

Linksys wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

People list real details about community service, etc, and sometimes that information, coupled with demographical info, makes them identifiable. How many former Wyoming cattle-ranchers who volunteered as firemen and are missing a limb from a boating accident are applying to NYU this year?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:49 am

Linksys wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

Well, they probably don't care, but IF they wanted to: A 163 LSAT with a 3.44 GPA, Non-URM, Male, 1-2 years out of UG that was president of the chess club wouldn't be hard to find.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:25 am

txadv11 wrote:Well, they probably don't care, but IF they wanted to: A 163 LSAT with a 3.44 GPA, Non-URM, Male, 1-2 years out of UG that was president of the chess club wouldn't be hard to find.

And how do we know if you are not fudging your numbers now? :wink:

KingTaco

Postby KingTaco » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Yes, for the vast majority.

KingTaco

Postby KingTaco » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:05 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Linksys wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

People list real details about community service, etc, and sometimes that information, coupled with demographical info, makes them identifiable. How many former Wyoming cattle-ranchers who volunteered as firemen and are missing a limb from a boating accident are applying to NYU this year?

And if they are wrong? That's ridiculous, that they might possibly deny admission/scholarship based on unverified assumption of an anonymous identity.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:11 pm

The mental image of an admissions officer browsing around on LSN trying to match up profiles instead of reviewing files and getting timely decisions out to people pisses me off. If they're doing it on their own time, after work, that's just sad.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:13 pm

I was also told "some applicants are posting (even 3 year) total scholarship amounts that are above the max [we] award."

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:16 pm

0LNewbie wrote:The mental image of an admissions officer browsing around on LSN trying to match up profiles instead of reviewing files and getting timely decisions out to people pisses me off. If they're doing it on their own time, after work, that's just sad.

Yeah, because if they spend 30 minutes matching profiles and are able to offer one person $10,000 less that wouldn't be worth it...

KingTaco

Postby KingTaco » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I wonder if there have been any casualties due to mistaken identity

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:01 am

txadv11 wrote:I was also told "some applicants are posting (even 3 year) total scholarship amounts that are above the max [we] award."

LOL. I hadn't thought about that, but I guess someone could exaggerate his or her financial aid from a less desired law school in the hope that an admissions person from a more desired school sees it and tries to match or beat the amount.
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:02 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I was also told "some applicants are posting (even 3 year) total scholarship amounts that are above the max [we] award."

LOL. I hadn't thought about that, but I guess some might exaggerate their financial aid from a less desired law school in the hope that an admissions person from a more desired school sees it and tries to match or beat the amount.

This is a dumb strategy.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 am

FiveSermon wrote:This is a dumb strategy.

Of course, but some people are dumb. After all, almost 50% of those who sit the LSAT get under 151.

KingTaco

Postby KingTaco » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:06 am

***Calling out Adcoms Lurking on the Forums***

You done reviewing files brah? GTFO.

(not serious 8) )

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:13 am

FiveSermon wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

I wonder if they browse TLS as often as well.

The Yale dean does. She recognized I was trolling her on her blog.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:14 am

If you are worried about anonymity, don't fucking post on LSN. No numbers is better than wrong numbers. There is no value on you posting your cycle on LSN if it's not accurate.

Postby 071816 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:15 am

cuz they're assholes

Postby 071816 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:If you are worried about anonymity, don't fucking post on LSN. No numbers is better than wrong numbers. There is no value on you posting your cycle on LSN if it's not accurate.

+1

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”