Undergraduate Degree--To What Extent?!3.93/177

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ebrizer

Undergraduate Degree--To What Extent?!3.93/177

Postby Ebrizer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:10 am

I'm currently a junior at Cal Berkeley (Regent's Scholar--Top 1%) majoring in Philosophy. I have a 3.93 GPA/177 LSAT score and will apply to HYS during the initial months of my senior year. I've read numerous threads regarding one's undergraduate institution before deciding to start a thread of my own. I've gotten mixed responses for the following questions and I haven't received many concrete answers since I have begun.

Basically, my questions are as follows.

How important is one's undergraduate degree in the context of HYS admissions and will I be at a disadvantage when applying because I do not come from an HYPS undergraduate institution?

Next, how heavily is one's undergraduate institution weighed by so-called "big law" recruiters? (I'm talking.. top 20-30?)

Thank you

bhan87

Re: Undergraduate Degree--To What Extent?!3.93/177

Postby bhan87 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 am

GTFO and enjoy HYS. Your philosophy major will be fine

(Or at minimum H if your softs are terrible, but really you oughta know the answer to this question based on common sense)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:13 am

I'd figure pretty damn important if you're going for patent law.

Ask yourself: How many Poli. Sci. students get into YHS?

Ebrizer

Postby Ebrizer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:18 am

ResolutePear wrote:I'd figure pretty damn important if you're going for patent law.

:roll:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:19 am

Ebrizer wrote:I'm currently a junior at Cal Berkeley (Regent's Scholar--Top 1%) majoring in Philosophy. I have a 3.93 GPA/177 LSAT score and will apply to HYS during the initial months of my senior year. I've read numerous threads regarding one's undergraduate institution before deciding to start a thread of my own. I've gotten mixed responses for the following questions and I haven't received many concrete answers since I have begun.

How important is one's undergraduate degree in the context of HYS admissions and will I be at a disadvantage when applying because I do not come from an HYPS undergraduate institution?

Next, how heavily is one's undergraduate institution weighed by so-called "big law" recruiters? (I'm talking.. top 20-30?)

Thank you

HYP gets you a mild boost. Some schools, particularly Yale, seem to like elite undergrads, but I think Berkley qualifies as elite, even if not quite HYP. With those numbers you should be fine as long as your softs are all in a row.

Some biglaw firms DO care about UG institution. Which ones they like to see varies. HYPS is always good. Some give a boost for all Ivys. Some for Ivy +. It depends. If you go to HYS and perform above median (as your LSAT and GPA combo seems to indicate you will), its not like there are going to be that many firms in the country that you couldn't get without the extra help.

Anyway, you must be from the east coast. B is pretty prftigious west of the Mississippi.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:20 am

Ebrizer wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I'd figure pretty damn important if you're going for patent law.

Ebrizer

Postby Ebrizer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Ebrizer wrote:

:lol:

Ebrizer

Postby Ebrizer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 am

Veyron wrote:
Ebrizer wrote:I'm currently a junior at Cal Berkeley (Regent's Scholar--Top 1%) majoring in Philosophy. I have a 3.93 GPA/177 LSAT score and will apply to HYS during the initial months of my senior year. I've read numerous threads regarding one's undergraduate institution before deciding to start a thread of my own. I've gotten mixed responses for the following questions and I haven't received many concrete answers since I have begun.

Thank you

HYP gets you a mild boost. Some schools, particularly Yale, seem to like elite undergrads, but I think Berkley qualifies as elite, even if not quite HYP. With those numbers you should be fine as long as your softs are all in a row.

Some biglaw firms DO care about UG institution. Which ones they like to see varies. HYPS is always good. Some give a boost for all Ivys. Some for Ivy +. It depends. If you go to HYS and perform above median (as your LSAT and GPA combo seems to indicate you will), its not like there are going to be that many firms in the country that you couldn't get without the extra help.

Anyway, you must be from the east coast. B is pretty prftigious west of the Mississippi.

Haha, you are right. I'm from New England and many people I've come across have yet to hear about Berkeley--let alone the entire UC system. Thanks for your comprehensive answer. By the way, you talk about a "boost" for having HYPS undergrad. How substantial is this boost and will my B degree ever be an impediment to Big Law?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 am

I would be shocked if you didn't get into at least one of HYS.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 am

Ebrizer wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Thank you

Haha, you are right. I'm from New England and many people I've come across have yet to hear about Berkeley--let alone the entire UC system. Thanks for your comprehensive answer. By the way, you talk about a "boost" for having HYPS undergrad. How substantial is this boost and will my B degree ever be an impediment to Big Law?

Obvious flame.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 am

Very, very few biglaw lawyers did not go to HYPS, or at the very least an Ivy. You can anticipate significant difficulty pursuing a biglaw career, given your undergrad degree's from Berkeley.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:45 am

MrKappus wrote:Very, very few biglaw lawyers did not go to HYPS, or at the very least an Ivy. You can anticipate significant difficulty pursuing a biglaw career, given your undergrad degree's from Berkeley.

And majored in philosophy. Shitttlaw for op

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:46 am

thecilent wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Very, very few biglaw lawyers did not go to HYPS, or at the very least an Ivy. You can anticipate significant difficulty pursuing a biglaw career, given your undergrad degree's from Berkeley.

Shittlaw if OP's lucky. Contract doc review's more likely, and a paralegal certificate would probably be the smart route (just to make sure OP can at least get something that pays the rent).

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:47 am

MrKappus wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Shittlaw if OP's lucky. Contract doc review's more likely, and a paralegal certificate would probably be the smart route (just to make sure OP can at least get something that pays the rent).

Cr

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:49 am

MEDICINE

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:49 am

thecilent wrote:
Ebrizer wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Thank you

Obvious flame.

Ok, this is where it jumped the shark. Well executed up to this point, however. One of the best this year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”