Unreported Academic Dishonesty

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GuyTryingToBeHonest

Unreported Academic Dishonesty

Postby GuyTryingToBeHonest » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:53 pm

hey guys, long time lurker here.

I've had something eating at my conscious lately, and want some input as to what I should do about it.

When I was a freshman (in 2006 at a school that isn't my current degree granting institution) I cheated in one of my classes. It wasn't plagiarism, stealing answers for an exam, or anything of that nature. In this particular class assignments were graded in class by each person individually, and scores were reported on the honor system. On 4 or 5 assignments (I think, it's all kind of hazy at this point) I either inflated my scores or reported a score without actually doing the assignment. I'm unsure of the weight of these assignments, and don't even really remember how many there were total. The rest of the courses' assignments I'm pretty sure I got zeros on (I never went to class that semester), and totally bombed the tests. I ended up with a D in the course, and am unsure if the difference those assignments made would have dropped me into the F range (though admittedly I deserve the F just for cheating). I was obviously never caught, but currently feel guilty for doing this.

Aside from this, I have never cheated in any class. Since that semester my grades have been near perfect (3.8+ every semester).

Morally, I feel like I should report this to my former UG even though I was never caught, but realize it could have a damaging effect on my admission chances. Am I being ridiculous for thinking I should? The difference in grades obviously wouldn't change my GPA too much, but will the reported academic dishonesty kill my chances of getting into law school?

Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

txadv11

Re: Unreported Academic Dishonesty

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Is this a joke?

If not, I'd say you are over-thinking this.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm

GuyTryingToBeHonest wrote:hey guys, long time lurker here.

I've had something eating at my conscious lately, and want some input as to what I should do about it.

When I was a freshman (in 2006 at a school that isn't my current degree granting institution) I cheated in one of my classes. It wasn't plagiarism, stealing answers for an exam, or anything of that nature. In this particular class assignments were graded in class by each person individually, and scores were reported on the honor system. On 4 or 5 assignments (I think, it's all kind of hazy at this point) I either inflated my scores or reported a score without actually doing the assignment. I'm unsure of the weight of these assignments, and don't even really remember how many there were total. The rest of the courses' assignments I'm pretty sure I got zeros on (I never went to class that semester), and totally bombed the tests. I ended up with a D in the course, and am unsure if the difference those assignments made would have dropped me into the F range (though admittedly I deserve the F just for cheating). I was obviously never caught, but currently feel guilty for doing this.

Aside from this, I have never cheated in any class. Since that semester my grades have been near perfect (3.8+ every semester).

Morally, I feel like I should report this to my former UG even though I was never caught, but realize it could have a damaging effect on my admission chances. Am I being ridiculous for thinking I should? The difference in grades obviously wouldn't change my GPA too much, but will the reported academic dishonesty kill my chances of getting into law school?

let me get this straight... you want to report a 5 year-old, isolated case of academic dishonesty that you didn't get caught for? And you weren't even good at?

just forget about it, and don't do it again.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Based on OP's name and single post, I assume this is a joke?

Postby 06162014123 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Well, its been so long that if you went back they probably wouldn't even know what to do or say...so in the interest of atonement I'd suggest you simply throw yourself down a flight of stairs.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm

This one time, in high school, I accidentally stole a pencil from a store. I was showing it to a friend, then absentmindedly put it in my pocket instead of back on the shelf. The thing is, when I realized I had stolen the pencil, I didn't return it to the store. I just kept it.

Do you think I should tell my adcomms about this? Will this show up in a C&F??

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:22 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:This one time, in high school, I accidentally stole a pencil from a store. I was showing it to a friend, then absentmindedly put it in my pocket instead of back on the shelf. The thing is, when I realized I had stolen the pencil, I didn't return it to the store. I just kept it.

First step, theft of a pencil, next step Brady violation.
Shame.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:25 pm

txadv11 wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:This one time, in high school, I accidentally stole a pencil from a store. I was showing it to a friend, then absentmindedly put it in my pocket instead of back on the shelf. The thing is, when I realized I had stolen the pencil, I didn't return it to the store. I just kept it.

Shame.

I did that once with yeast. Would that count as kidnapping as well? Oh god... I'll never pass C&F!!!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm

geoduck wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

Shame.

I did that once with yeast. Would that count as kidnapping as well? Oh god... I'll never pass C&F!!!

It might be considered kidnapping, but that would be pretty passive. Now, if you had mixed it with some warm water first, then you might be looking at agitated kidnapping.

(I'm now going to go hit myself in the head with a hammer for that one.)

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

This one time, I went into the sac 'o suds, and accidentally stole a can of tuna. But then I was wrongfully accused of killing the clerk. Luckily my cousin from NY came and saved my ass. Do you guys think that C&F will care about the tuna? or will they take it easy on me considering the wrongful accusation?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:31 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
geoduck wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

Shame.

It might be considered kidnapping, but that would be pretty passive. Now, if you had mixed it with some warm water first, then you might be looking at agitated kidnapping.

We could be dealing with an issue of interstate commerce here. Treason isn't too far of a reach.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:33 pm

kwais wrote:This one time, I went into the sac 'o suds, and accidentally stole a can of tuna. But then I was wrongfully accused of killing the clerk. Luckily my cousin from NY came and saved my ass. Do you guys think that C&F will care about the tuna? or will they take it easy on me considering the wrongful accusation?

I think they'd frown upon you giving a false confession. Also, for going on Dancing with the Stars.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:34 pm

txadv11 wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
geoduck wrote:

We could be dealing with an issue of interstate commerce here. Treason isn't too far of a reach.

It was live yeast from the refrigerated section too. Not just the active dry stuff in the packets. I'm definitely expecting false imprisonment and forced labor charges.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 pm

geoduck wrote:
kwais wrote:This one time, I went into the sac 'o suds, and accidentally stole a can of tuna. But then I was wrongfully accused of killing the clerk. Luckily my cousin from NY came and saved my ass. Do you guys think that C&F will care about the tuna? or will they take it easy on me considering the wrongful accusation?

I think they'd frown upon you giving a false confession. Also, for going on Dancing with the Stars.

true but does my karate background count as a soft?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:42 pm

I don't think you should attend law school.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 pm

You're never gonna pass character and fitness. IT'S ALL OVER FOR YOU.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm

If not, just don't worry about it. Everyone does stupid stuff. Learn from it and don't do it again.
Last edited by swc65 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Guys, knock it out. This isn't the lounge.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Report yourself. Its the honest thing to do.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:57 pm

GuyTryingToBeHonest wrote:hey guys, long time lurker here.

I think what your conscience tells you is important, but I would also use discretion about how you proceed. Bottom-line is that this isn't prob going to make or break your law admissions one way or the other IMO. But, I would apply to law schools first, answer the C and F questions on the apps based on what they ask (which is usually have you ever been disciplined, not whether you have ever cheated), get your acceptances, and then if you feel it is the right thing to do contact your school in a tactful manner. That way you will have been honest on the apps and perhaps mitigate risk in making a conscience-based disclosure. I think those who are effectively laughing at you in this thread are undervaluing your peace-of-mind. But, I also think you should consult an someone you trust on this IRL and proceed with caution.

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:49 pm

I think the responses you have received all the answer you need really.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Disclose immediately. You should also include steps you have taken to ensure you never inflate your self worth again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”