Specifics

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lilkrnq

Specifics

Postby lilkrnq » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:24 am

Blank
Last edited by lilkrnq on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnolia

Re: Things to Disclose on an Addendum (IE. Firing, etc)

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am

lilkrnq wrote:Hey everyone. Three questions. Do law school applications generally ask if you have been let go from a place of employment (ie. fired)? Second, if this is the case does something like this qualify for being talked about on an addendum? From my understanding, I hear that some applications will ask if you have been fired. Third in the case that you feel that you were terminated from your job unfairly (not illegally but unfairly such as boss throwing you under the bus) any advice as to best go about explaining the situation in an appropriate manner? My thanks to those who respond in advance.

1. I don't recall being asked about this on any of my applications, but it's possible that some do. Only list that you were fired if you're asked.

2. If you are asked about it, you should include an addendum.

3. Absolutely do not claim that you were fired unfairly, even if you were. The adcomms won't know the difference between someone who really was thrown under the bus and someone who is just pointing fingers. Just explain the situation as succinctly as possible and take responsiblity. Be clinical in your description and avoid using loaded words. Mention what you've learned from it and how it won't be an issue in the future. Use the addendum to distance yourself as much as possible from the firing.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 am

I think some applications ask you to list employment and request a "reason for leaving." I filled out a lot of apps and was never asked for more information than that. If asked to disclose termination, I would write a very brief addendum explaining the circumstances.

lilkrnq

Postby lilkrnq » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:56 pm

So just to clarify, it would be best to write an addendum addressing a firing, if the application asks me reason of leaving from each place of employment? Or should I just not write an addendum addressing it and just answer it for that specific question leaving it as (being let go, etc)

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm

I've never been fired, only "laid off" hth.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I know American asks this question (Have you ever been dismissed from employment for cause?) which requires an addendum. A lot of schools at least ask for employment history and the reason for leaving a job.

Other than for the American example, whether you should write an addendum probably depends on the severity. If you had a real job, like a teacher or an accountant, or you were let go for character and fitness related issues, then you would definitely want to write something. On the other hand, if you got fired from Applebee's for calling out of work while hungover, something like "scheduling conflict" would probably suffice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”