UFL versus GSU Law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
g-children

New

UFL versus GSU Law?

Post by g-children » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm

I got accepted into Uni of FL law school and Georgia State. I live in GA so I got instate at GSU, but I hate GSU, I went there for undergrad and detest the lack of a campus. Plus UFL ranks much higher, but being out of state is so expensive. What do I do?

bk1

Diamond

Re: UFL versus GSU Law?

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45 pm

You want to work in Florida or Georgia?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Errr, UF OOS is kinda silly. See if you could secure in state after 1L, if not retake. Your options are a school you hate / mad expensive school. Retaking a few points gets you into UGA where I suspect you might like the campus more than GSU's non existent one. I visited GSU and felt the same way - there was no way I would want to spend 3 years in their shitty building and the moment i walk outside you are basically not even on campus.

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 pm

bk187 wrote:You want to work in Florida or Georgia?
Either, I will practice wherever I go.

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Sandro wrote:Errr, UF OOS is kinda silly. See if you could secure in state after 1L, if not retake. Your options are a school you hate / mad expensive school. Retaking a few points gets you into UGA where I suspect you might like the campus more than GSU's non existent one. I visited GSU and felt the same way - there was no way I would want to spend 3 years in their shitty building and the moment i walk outside you are basically not even on campus.
Retaking is so out of the question for me because this is my retake. Didnt get into either last yr, spent a shit load of money on Testmasters, and took this time. Yeah, I so hate GSU bad, COL in downtown is mad high and just so uncomfortable. And what I missed in undergrad, I really want to get that campus feel in Law School for sure. But going OOS first yr is gna cost me an additional 20k on loans :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Same situation - I picked UF. In-state after 1L. But I want to practice in FL.

GSU if you want a shot a big law though - they're a top go-to school this year. Even though GSU is less expensive, every time I mentioned it I got, "What? They have a law school?"

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Sandro wrote:Errr, UF OOS is kinda silly. See if you could secure in state after 1L, if not retake. Your options are a school you hate / mad expensive school. Retaking a few points gets you into UGA where I suspect you might like the campus more than GSU's non existent one. I visited GSU and felt the same way - there was no way I would want to spend 3 years in their shitty building and the moment i walk outside you are basically not even on campus.
I understand what you are feeling :lol:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

g-children wrote:
bk187 wrote:You want to work in Florida or Georgia?
Either, I will practice wherever I go.
You have no actual preference between the two states?

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Does anyone know what the job market is like comparing the two? Florida versus Georgia? I am sooo confused. My husband just got a job in downtown atlanta, so it would work out a lot cheaper for me to go to GSU...but I do not like GSU :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:36 pm

g-children wrote:Does anyone know what the job market is like comparing the two? Florida versus Georgia? I am sooo confused. My husband just got a job in downtown atlanta, so it would work out a lot cheaper for me to go to GSU...but I do not like GSU :(
If your husband has a job there, maybe wait, retake, and shoot for Emory?

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Just go to GSU, I'm an undergrad at GSU right now and i think the campus is becoming more of a traditional one

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
g-children wrote:Does anyone know what the job market is like comparing the two? Florida versus Georgia? I am sooo confused. My husband just got a job in downtown atlanta, so it would work out a lot cheaper for me to go to GSU...but I do not like GSU :(
If your husband has a job there, maybe wait, retake, and shoot for Emory?
I am waitlisted there now

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 pm

adil91 wrote:Just go to GSU, I'm an undergrad at GSU right now and i think the campus is becoming more of a traditional one
Really?
Explain

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 pm

And...UFL just offered me scholarship - Worth 18k

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 pm

g-children wrote:And...UFL just offered me scholarship - Worth 18k
Congrats!

I think that you can only answer this question for yourself, though. It depends on your personal taste. Decide where you want to live and work, if you want your husband to go with you/determine his mobility, and calculate the costs. Good luck with whatever you decide.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:08 pm

The scholarship subsidizes the costs of being out of state the first year and effectively gives you in-state tuition all to itself for all 3 years, which is certainly a deal in and of itself, especially with regards to schools of similar stature. I think UF would be an excellent choice, especially if you wish to practice in Florida.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 pm

g-children wrote:
adil91 wrote:Just go to GSU, I'm an undergrad at GSU right now and i think the campus is becoming more of a traditional one
Really?
Explain
Football on campus , more students living on campus etc

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Let's contemplate between these choices:

Pancakes or Freedom Toast.

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, I went to visit UFL Today, on my way driving back to Atlanta. I think I have made the decision to go to UFL!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”