Compilation - Useful Admissions Links Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MLBrandow

Bronze

Re: Useful Links Thread

Post by MLBrandow » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm

PREPARING THE RECOMMENDERS

The following list, inspired by Boston College, the University of California at Berkeley Career Center, University of Chicago Pre-Law Guide, and Lowell House Pre-Law Advising, indicates some items that should be given to your recommenders at your meeting with them:
WRITING LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION FOR APPLICANTS TO LAW SCHOOL should be helpful to a faculty member writing a law school letter of recommendation. You may want to give a copy of this to each faculty member who will be writing a law school letter of recommendation for you.
The first paragraph of this fact sheet must be modified unless
you are attending or have attended the University of Virginia.
An unofficial transcript (with the courses you took with the recommender indicated).
A copy of your LSAT score.
A copy of your best work (term papers, essays, tests, etc.) in the course or courses that you took with the possible recommender (make sure to photocopy the copy with the instructor's comments, if any. If the possible recommender is a faculty member who currently has you in class or who knows you very well, bringing this best work may not be necessary.
A personal RESUME (curriculum vitae) including a clear statement of why you want to go to law school.
A draft of your law school personal statement; if the possible recommender has comments about it, so much the better.
Other information that may be useful to the possible recommender.
For each preprinted letter of recommendation form, fill out the information that is required of the applicant (including waiver of your right of access to see the letters of recommendation) and, to ease the recommender's burden, fill out the recommender's name, title, and contact information (telephone, fax, address, etc.). Despite the preprinted form, most recommenders write a letter on letterhead stationary and put ''See Attached Letter'' on the form.
As a courtesy to the recommender, provide a stamped envelope addressed appropriately; you may want to indicate to the recommender that it would be best if this recommendation were sent on the recommender's letterhead stationary. If there is a preprinted letter of recommendation form, fold this form and put it into the appropriate envelope.
Also include a cover note that includes:

Information on how to get in touch with you (e-mail address or phone number).
A list of schools to which you are applying and the due date for these letters of recommendation.
Make the due date the same for all the letters.
The request that they begin the letter of recommendation with ''Dear Law School Admissions Committee.''
If relevant, delicately suggest that the letter be tailored to law schools.
If recommenders ask what to cover in the letter, tell them to focus on your writing ability, your analytical skills, your performance in their course, your personal qualities, etc..
Other information that is relevant.
Open and close your note with thanks and the acknowledgement that the letter of recommendation is important to your professional future.
Some addition advice and comments are:

If you are prepared when you see your recommender, a return trip should not be necessary.
Thank the recommender after you find out that all his/her letters of recommendation have been received.
You may want to notify the recommenders to which law schools you were accepted.
Remember that the recommender has taken valuable time to write this letter for you and that the letter might have a direct bearing on your admittance to law school. Also, you may need that person to write another letter of recommendation in the future.
http://www.prelawhandbook.com/letters_o ... mendations

I don't see the linked document available online anymore, but I still have it on my computer, so I thought I would share it in case anyone else finds if helpful:

WritingRecsLaw.pdf - from UVA's career center

My only caution is to ensure the specific LSAC policies mentioned in this pdf have not changed since it was written. As far as content goes, I think this pdf still has value.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:31 pm

tagged. Thanks everybody

Gumby

New

Post by Gumby » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 pm

tag

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 am

yeah right something stickienyhappening to this...

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for this thread and for the information's! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:19 am

Thank you for this information's. :)

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am

bk187 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Damn that's a great post.
IT'S GONE!!!!!

Please let it be in the archives and easily accessible. :cry:
+1

I don't ever plan to wear men's suits...but I still wanted to read this legendary post. :cry:

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Damn that's a great post.
IT'S GONE!!!!!

+1

I don't ever plan to wear men's suits...but I still wanted to read this legendary post. :cry:
Brothers, allow me to aid you.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:58 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
bk187 wrote:
IT'S GONE!!!!!

[img]Rageguy.jpg[/img]

+1

Brothers, allow me to aid you.
:mrgreen: Yay! Thanks friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moneytrees

Silver

Re: Compilation - Useful Admissions Links

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 am

On the Law School Transparency report, what would you guys say constitutes a good score? Clearly, anything in the 50's is not good. But I'm wondering what people would define as a decent/good score, to wit, one that would make you feel comfortable about attending that law school.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:38 am

Moneytrees wrote:On the Law School Transparency report, what would you guys say constitutes a good score? Clearly, anything in the 50's is not good. But I'm wondering what people would define as a decent/good score, to wit, one that would make you feel comfortable about attending that law school.
I like how you bumped an 18 month old sticky!! I think you should make a thread on your question

Lets all take DG up on this:
[color=#8000BF]DG[/color] wrote:I've stolen this post to add in threads that posters think might be useful. Other mods can add to it as well, so if you see a thread you think should be memorialized, let a mod know and maybe we'll throw it in here.

tangelo

New

Post by tangelo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Does anyone know of any links for law students over 40? Looking for forums or any good info to help older applicants thinking about law school. Thanks!

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:38 pm

tangelo wrote:Does anyone know of any links for law students over 40? Looking for forums or any good info to help older applicants thinking about law school. Thanks!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=143047

This is a good resource, imo. Great topics.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

essays

New

Post by essays » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 am

thanks for the information of applicaton notidication athe courses start from pls provide us

chooy

New

Post by chooy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful :D

sociallaw

New

Post by sociallaw » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for collecting and sharing- great resources :) :)

Text-align

New

Post by Text-align » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:51 am

Great thread- thanks for posting!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

francism

New

Post by francism » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am

Here is a list of some useful admissions links for law school applicants:

https://www.lsac.org/
Law School Admission Council (LSAC) : The LSAC is the central organization that administers the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and provides a range of resources and services to law school applicants, including a comprehensive online application service, LSAT prep materials, and a directory of law schools.

https://www.americanbar.org/
American Bar Association (ABA): The ABA is the national professional organization for lawyers and provides a range of resources for law students and applicants, including information on accreditation standards for law schools and a directory of accredited law schools.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... w-rankings
U.S. News & World Report Law School Rankings: This website provides annual rankings of law schools based on a variety of factors, including academic reputation, employment outcomes, and admissions selectivity.

https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/
Law School Transparency: This organization is a non-profit that promotes transparency in the legal education system and provides a range of resources for law school applicants, including information on tuition and debt, employment outcomes, and bar passage rates.

http://www.planc.org/#:~:text=The%20Pre ... 20students.
Pre-Law Advisors: Many colleges and universities have pre-law advisors who can provide guidance and resources for students interested in pursuing a law degree. Contact your school's career center or pre-law advisor for more information.

I hope this list is helpful!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”