Overall waitlist odds?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ijk

Overall waitlist odds?

Postby ijk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm something of an extreme splitter (179/2.1) and an older applicant. I'm now sitting on zero acceptances and 5 waitlists, all the way up and down the 28th-100th range. If the pattern continues I'll have quite a few more in the next couple of weeks. So that's fun.

Does anyone have a sense of the overall fraction of WL students who get accepted? I realize the odds depend heavily on particular schools and particular years, but it's getting to where a more general idea of what my chances are would be really helpful in planning my fall.

bk1

Re: Overall waitlist odds?

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:37 pm

The only two I can remember was last year at GULC was something around 10-20% of people were pulled off the waitlist whereas Duke didn't pull a single person off their waitlist.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm

you may be the most extreme splitter case on these boards.

classix

Postby classix » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 pm

[/color]
gothamm wrote:you may be the most extreme splitter case on these boards.

love your avatar.

also yeah, insane stats...

legallyb

Postby legallyb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm a reverse splitter 161/3.99... and I've been wait-listed to 7 schools. I applied to 15 because of fee waivers to keep my options open and have it narrowed down to a scholarship at Seton Hall or Ohio State and am wait-listed at Emory, WUSTL, and W&M. Hopefully, they will pull some of their list up!

ijk

Postby ijk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I know! It's been an interesting ride. I had some pretty serious psychological issues as an undergrad; all better now, and hoping a school or two might recognize that.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

bryancharlesmoore wrote:I'm a reverse splitter 161/3.99... and I've been wait-listed to 7 schools. I applied to 15 because of fee waivers to keep my options open and have it narrowed down to a scholarship at Seton Hall or Ohio State and am wait-listed at Emory, WUSTL, and W&M. Hopefully, they will pull some of their list up!

how the hell did you get WL at baylor and cardozo? YP? maybe something really off with your PS/LOC/Resume?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

classix wrote:[/color]

love your avatar.

also yeah, insane stats...

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:52 pm

ijk wrote:

I know! It's been an interesting ride. I had some pretty serious psychological issues as an undergrad; all better now, and hoping a school or two might recognize that.

Did you apply early in the cycle? Since you are older, you must have some significant work experience. Did you ED to northwestern or UVA? I think you can really sell yourself with an interesting/convincing PS

legallyb

Postby legallyb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 pm

gothamm wrote:
bryancharlesmoore wrote:I'm a reverse splitter 161/3.99... and I've been wait-listed to 7 schools. I applied to 15 because of fee waivers to keep my options open and have it narrowed down to a scholarship at Seton Hall or Ohio State and am wait-listed at Emory, WUSTL, and W&M. Hopefully, they will pull some of their list up!

how the hell did you get WL at baylor and cardozo? YP? maybe something really off with your PS/LOC/Resume?

My Cardozo phone interview had to be rescheduled... and then it was awful when I finally had it.
I hadn't really considered it until I got WL'ed by those two, but I did mention that I'm LGBT in my PS... and Texas and Judaism do frown upon that. Haha. I never even thought anything about putting it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 pm

gothamm wrote:Did you apply early in the cycle? Since you are older, you must have some significant work experience. Did you ED to northwestern or UVA? I think you can really sell yourself with an interesting/convincing PS

Just wanted to point out UVa isn't taking a 2.1. NU... maybe (I think I saw a 2.2 or 2.3 get in last year so it would be black box).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”