The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:33 am

I think there is abundant information available about how 0L's can get an edge over their peers. Don't pass up this invaluable opportunity to get a true advantage while you still can. Don't go with the blind herd who reaches for supplements and prep books. If only I could go back, I would have used that time to actually get an advantage, rather than reading what would turn out to be useless prep materials. How do you get the advantage of which I speak? That information is out in the open and there for the taking for anyone who is bold enough to go against the grain and actually seize an opportunity.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby Deuce » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 am

dakatz wrote:I think there is abundant information available about how 0L's can get an edge over their peers. Don't pass up this invaluable opportunity to get a true advantage while you still can. Don't go with the blind herd who reaches for supplements and prep books. If only I could go back, I would have used that time to actually get an advantage, rather than reading what would turn out to be useless prep materials. How do you get the advantage of which I speak? That information is out in the open and there for the taking for anyone who is bold enough to go against the grain and actually seize an opportunity.


Beach, booze, bars?

User avatar
dpase22
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby dpase22 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:16 am

die Zauberflote wrote: reasonable 0L perspective

I agree with everything this poster has written ITT. I couldn't have said it better.

G. T. L. Rev. wrote: valid opinion based on experience

I appreciate everything this poster has written. Even recommending that I be fed into a wood chipper gives some insight into the strength of his opinions on 0L prep. (His information in other threads is pure gold.)

--

My own 0L plans are highly unorthodox, but that is because I am somewhat neurotically unorthodox. I simply don't feel safe riding with the pack. However, I do not think I am giving myself any advantage over my classmates. I have no illusions there. But I am starting a program that I hope will ease my transition to law school, relieving as much stress as possible once the semester begins.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:38 am

dpase22 wrote:
die Zauberflote wrote: reasonable 0L perspective

I agree with everything this poster has written ITT. I couldn't have said it better.

G. T. L. Rev. wrote: valid opinion based on experience

I appreciate everything this poster has written. Even recommending that I be fed into a wood chipper gives some insight into the strength of his opinions on 0L prep. (His information in other threads is pure gold.)

--

My own 0L plans are highly unorthodox, but that is because I am somewhat neurotically unorthodox. I simply don't feel safe riding with the pack. However, I do not think I am giving myself any advantage over my classmates. I have no illusions there. But I am starting a program that I hope will ease my transition to law school, relieving as much stress as possible once the semester begins.


But what you don't realize is that you ARE falling in with the pack. This is your chance to take advantage and get an edge on your classmates. Are your resumes all set? Do you have cover letter templates typed up for each kind of position you are prospectively interested in for 1L summer? Have you done extensive research and learned as much as you can about law shook exams? Have you contacted and made connections/ done informational interviews with alumni? Have you read every success in law school thread known to man? You aren't doing against the grain. Ever supposedly "smart" kid in your class will reach for prep books because it is the kneejerk reaction. You need to go against he grain and actually do the things that will guarantee you an edge that can't be denied and can't be taken away.
Last edited by dakatz on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby aliarrow » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 am

dakatz wrote:
But what you don't realize is that you ARE falling in with the pack. This is your chance to take advantage and get an edge on your classmates. Are your resumes all set? Do you have cover letter templates typed up for each kind of positon you are prospectively interested in for 1L summer? Have you done extensive research and learned as mug as you can about law shook exams? Have you contacted and made connections/ done informational interiews with alumni? Have you read evry success in law school thread known to man? You aren't doing anyhin against the grain. Ever supposedly "smart" kid in your class will reach for prep books because it is the kneejerk reaction. You need to go agai.st he grain and actually do the things that will guarantee you an edge that can't be denied and can't be taken away.


Was this post typed on a mobile device?

Good advice though.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:06 pm

chill out ITT. Have a good summer and relax most of time so you can be recharged for fall!

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:39 am

lhlee wrote:They see me gunnin'
They hatin'


8)

User avatar
dpase22
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Ultimate 0L gunner guide

Postby dpase22 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:27 am

dakatz wrote:But what you don't realize is that you ARE falling in with the pack. This is your chance to take advantage and get an edge on your classmates. [1] Are your resumes all set? Do you have cover letter templates typed up for each kind of position you are prospectively interested in for 1L summer? [2] Have you done extensive research and learned as much as you can about law shook exams? [3] Have you contacted and made connections/ done informational interviews with alumni? ... You aren't doing against the grain. Every supposedly "smart" kid in your class will reach for prep books because it is the kneejerk reaction. You need to go against he grain and actually do the things that will guarantee you an edge that can't be denied and can't be taken away.


+1 at the risk of sounding inconsistent.

I agree that [1] preparation for 1L summer is possibly the most important thing to do before the first year begins, including resumes, cover letters, and research. Why wait until the semester begins and time becomes a much more scarce resource?

Also [2] a thorough understanding of law school exams is probably the only actually worthwhile 0L substantive preparation. But clearly GTM and reading a few dozen law school exams with model answers is not sufficient, since for many 0Ls (including myself) this is mostly confusing and only marginally helpful. Thus I seek a way to make this less confusing and more helpful. But learning black letter law from standard prep books is clearly not the answer. A focus on these resources is a recipe for disaster in many respects. But they may be a part of the larger program of learning how best to approach law school material with respect to essay exams.

I do admit that I am neglecting [3]. I have not given enough thought to speaking to alums and doing early networking. This will certainly assist with [1]. Your input is greatly appreciated and your point is well taken. Thank you.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests