Will this hurt? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
loomstate

Bronze

Will this hurt?

Post by loomstate » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I am wondering whether taking a community college course the summer before my application to schools will hurt my chances at a T10 school. I know the GPA is compiled from all institutions attended, I am just worried about it being frowned upon that I attended to community college to save some cash - the same, pricier, course is offered at my UG school.

Your thoughts? Cheers.

FiveSermon

Gold

Re: Will this hurt?

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:23 pm

loomstate wrote:I am wondering whether taking a community college course the summer before my application to schools will hurt my chances at a T10 school. I know the GPA is compiled from all institutions attended, I am just worried about it being frowned upon that I attended to community college to save some cash - the same, pricier, course is offered at my UG school.

Your thoughts? Cheers.
No as long as it doesn't bring your GPA down.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:25 pm

loomstate wrote:I am wondering whether taking a community college course the summer before my application to schools will hurt my chances at a T10 school. I know the GPA is compiled from all institutions attended, I am just worried about it being frowned upon that I attended to community college to save some cash - the same, pricier, course is offered at my UG school.

Your thoughts? Cheers.
Quality of UG means jack shit for the most part. Just worry about the GPA.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
Quality of UG means jack shit for the most part. Just worry about the GPA.
I wish this could be stickied. It's ridiculous how many questions a day are either: "oh noes I went to CC, will top schools not take me??" or "I want to take bass fishing, will this automatically take me out of t10??"

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Sarah - I thought it was a legitimate question. I did begin with a search of the forum before posting the thread and found no topic dealing with my specific question about summer courses at CC. Nevertheless thanks for the responses, I'm looking forward to savin' some cash.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

towkthi

New

Post by towkthi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 am

loomstate wrote:Sarah - I thought it was a legitimate question. I did begin with a search of the forum before posting the thread and found no topic dealing with my specific question about summer courses at CC. Nevertheless thanks for the responses, I'm looking forward to savin' some cash.
If you have finished your ug degree already this will not boost your lsac gpa. I am finishing up a second degree (with a way higher gpa than my first one) and lsac only used my first degree gpa. Sorry.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 am

doing any community college classes will not hurt your GPA any more than a class at your UG. Also, no adcomms care if you take classes at a CC as long as you have a high GPA

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 am

loomstate wrote:Sarah - I thought it was a legitimate question. I did begin with a search of the forum before posting the thread and found no topic dealing with my specific question about summer courses at CC. Nevertheless thanks for the responses, I'm looking forward to savin' some cash.
I didn't mean that the questions was not legitimate, in fact I think the topic should be stickied as it is relevant to many posters. But, as you may have noticed, before you posted back here another one on the same topic popped up. I'm just saying that they should have that in the FAQ or something because apparently lots of people want to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”