Re-Negotiating Scholarships.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Northeast

Re-Negotiating Scholarships.

Postby Northeast » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:54 pm

I will keep this short and simple. I applied to a school and got a large scholarship. During the ASD I spoke with the Financial Aid Director and got even more $$$ (90% tuition). Would it be inappropriate to e-mail her and explain to her that I would like to remove the stipulations and may be get a few more K per year? I hate to seem greedy but I obviosuly want to get at much money as possible without looking like I am ungrateful for the large increase I was already recently given.

Any thoughts?

robotclubmember

Re: Re-Negotiating Scholarships.

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:30 pm

what are the stipulations? i.e., for some scholarships the stipulation is merely that you will enroll and be in good standing, at others it's to be in the top 15%. if the stipulation is reasonable and you are getting 90% tuition, i'd say you might be greedy but it never hurts to ask. you will seem like an ungrateful prick but that's not grounds to rescind your offer, so you have nothing to lose.

do you have any leverage for your request? and what school is it? have you been accepted anywhere better or been offered more money?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Never hurts to ask. Worst thing is they say no. As long as you do it politely it really can't hurt you.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:54 pm

What you're describing sounds like you want to ask (or demand) for more money. In order to negotiate you have to have something to negotiate with, do you have a higher offer from a peer school? Or a similar offer that has no stipulations from a peer school?

IMO, you should either ask for the stipulations to be removed OR ask for more money. Considering you just got a huge increase after asking for it I think asking for both is a bit much.

Northeast

Postby Northeast » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:05 pm

I should have made it more clear. I have a larger offer from a better ranked school that I plan on using.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Northeast wrote:I should have made it more clear. I have a larger offer from a better ranked school that I plan on using.

Well in that case there is no harm in trying. Just remember to be tactful and respectful when asking for the stipulations to be removed or for more money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”