Best way to bargain for more scholly money?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoBroncos22!

Best way to bargain for more scholly money?

Postby GoBroncos22! » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:41 pm

The school I want to attend (university of Idaho) didnt give me the amount of money I was hoping for. Im still gonna go to the school regardless, but it would be nice to limit my future debt. I havnt officially accepted yet, I still have 2 weeks. Is it smart to bargain for more scholarship money BEFORE accepting? or after? Does anyone have any good tactics, like threatening to not attend? (jk). Also, is it best to speak with them in person or email? Thanks alot everyone.

Northeast

Re: Best way to bargain for more scholly money?

Postby Northeast » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Visit them in person. Trust me, it works.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:47 pm

I would but unfortunately its a 7 hour drive. I was already up there once before I was officially admitted. So at this point, I dont see myself having time to go up there before I move for law school.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Think about it this way - pay yourself $100/hr + expenses to drive up there, which is a ridiculously high pay rate. Are you hoping to hit more than $1500 in extra scholarship money? If so, it's more than worth it.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 pm

bp shinners wrote:Think about it this way - pay yourself $100/hr + expenses to drive up there, which is a ridiculously high pay rate. Are you hoping to hit more than $1500 in extra scholarship money? If so, it's more than worth it.

This. A 14-hour round trip to save many thousands of dollars (and interest on those dollars) is a no-brainer.

Also, as to the OP: what would make you think you should bargain for money after matriculating? Schools offer scholarships to get students with desirable numbers or experiences to enroll. If you matriculate, they don't need to offer you money anymore.

weee

Postby weee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:The school I want to attend (university of Idaho) didnt give me the amount of money I was hoping for. Im still gonna go to the school regardless, but it would be nice to limit my future debt. I havnt officially accepted yet, I still have 2 weeks. Is it smart to bargain for more scholarship money BEFORE accepting? or after? Does anyone have any good tactics, like threatening to not attend? (jk). Also, is it best to speak with them in person or email? Thanks alot everyone.

I deposited at two schools that I was equally willing to attend after making sure that they were both okay with it. After the deposit deadline, I told them that I was torn and that extra scholarship money would help me make my decision. One school said they don't negotiate and the other school tripled my original scholarship award after the deadline.

something to consider

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:15 pm

weee wrote:
GoBroncos22! wrote:The school I want to attend (university of Idaho) didnt give me the amount of money I was hoping for. Im still gonna go to the school regardless, but it would be nice to limit my future debt. I havnt officially accepted yet, I still have 2 weeks. Is it smart to bargain for more scholarship money BEFORE accepting? or after? Does anyone have any good tactics, like threatening to not attend? (jk). Also, is it best to speak with them in person or email? Thanks alot everyone.

I deposited at two schools that I was equally willing to attend after making sure that they were both okay with it. After the deposit deadline, I told them that I was torn and that extra scholarship money would help me make my decision. One school said they don't negotiate and the other school tripled my original scholarship award after the deadline.

something to consider

Did you visit?

weee

Postby weee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:46 pm

I visited, but I don't think it had much to do with the results, more than some scholarship money was freed up after they found out who was actually attending and how much money they were giving out.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:49 pm

weee wrote:I visited, but I don't think it had much to do with the results, more than some scholarship money was freed up after they found out who was actually attending and how much money they were giving out.

How long did it take them to get back to you after you emailed them?

weee

Postby weee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
weee wrote:I visited, but I don't think it had much to do with the results, more than some scholarship money was freed up after they found out who was actually attending and how much money they were giving out.

How long did it take them to get back to you after you emailed them?

I don't remember, a few weeks after the deposit deadline

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:07 pm

careful though. some schools account for people with scholly's going somewhere else, and won't give leftover money to less-qualified applicants, say, after a deposit deadline. it just rolls over to the next cycle. something to consider.

weee

Postby weee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:27 pm

jackattack17 wrote:careful though. some schools account for people with scholly's going somewhere else, and won't give leftover money to less-qualified applicants, say, after a deposit deadline. it just rolls over to the next cycle. something to consider.

This is true, I was actually encouraged to ask again after the deposit because there might be more money, an honest dialogue w/ the people who handle scholarships is pretty important to negotiation success in my opinion.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:30 pm

jackattack17 wrote:careful though. some schools account for people with scholly's going somewhere else, and won't give leftover money to less-qualified applicants, say, after a deposit deadline. it just rolls over to the next cycle. something to consider.

GW is one.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm

The best way to bargain for more scholarship money is to get accepted to Yale.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”