Berkeley? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yngblkgifted

Silver

Berkeley?

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:29 pm

What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?

DreamShake

Bronze

Re: Berkeley?

Post by DreamShake » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:51 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?
I'm pretty sure it's generally acknowledged as a T10. Most of TLS would probably lump it in with MVP in some order. Regionally--obviously highly regarded on the west coast; very well-regarded in Texas (at least that's my impression from meeting a pair of V50 partners and a couple high-prestige crimlaw attorneys); and I can't really speak to the NE. Hard to say internationally, but this probably paints a general picture:

HTH

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:54 pm

I generally see it as a top 8 but I think employers see it as a top 11 so I'd be weary of attending it over another school in the top 11

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Actual ranking?

CA: HYS > B > T14

EAST COAST: > DCNGB

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Is it a T10? Probably. Is it a T14? Almost definitely. It is the 2nd best law school west of the mississippi, and at least down in Florida it carries a surprising amount of prestige with its name (like paid 1L summer gigs with straight P grades).
Beyond the t10 designation, it's gonna come down to the student much more so than the school in the employer's eyes (aside from alma mater biases).

cheers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:30 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?
It's going to depend on whatever school is higher ranked in the us news the year you are hired.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:32 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?
West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

bhan87 wrote:
This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
It's going to depend on whatever school is higher ranked in the us news the year you are hired.
No it's not.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.
*Kicks self for choosing school ranked one spot lower based on fit*
*Cries softly*
*Gives into despair*

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
*Kicks self for choosing school ranked one spot lower based on fit*
*Cries softly*
*Gives into despair*
Hopefully you can do well enough at Penn to make up for that miscalculation, but it is going to be hard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
this is just well executed sarcasm, correct?

LettuceBeefRealTea

New

Post by LettuceBeefRealTea » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
no

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

no
Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 pm

I think the "no" was also sarcasm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 pm

it's sarcasm bro. a few ranks in any direction won't matter jack (unless you're dabbling in HYS category)

edit: beaten

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 pm

wow you guys are SOOOOOO sarcastic :roll:

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:52 pm

--ImageRemoved--

ntugwater

New

Post by ntugwater » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 am

yngblkgifted wrote:What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?
Where do you want to work? If you want to work on the west coast and cant get into stanford, then go for it. If you want to work on east coast, then I'd say Berkeley is ~T20. Probably slightly better than UCLA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 am

ntugwater wrote:
Where do you want to work? If you want to work on the west coast and cant get into stanford, then go for it. If you want to work on east coast, then I'd say Berkeley is ~T20. Probably slightly better than UCLA.
For the sake of this thread, I will say that I am not set on a specific geographical location. Would you say the same thing about UVA on the West Coast? Would it be T 20ish?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 am

FWIW, I think the prior posters in this thread have underestimated Berkeley's ability to go east. Definitely higher than T20, and my own opinion higher than Veyron's estimate of "DCNGB" I don't know anyone who wanted east coast who didn't get it. Yes, we have fewer who go to NY/DC, but that's because so many want to stay out here.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 am

clone22 wrote:Is it a T14? Almost definitely.
Almost definitely? Exactly why is there an almost in that statement?

Is it a woman if it has a vagine? Almost definitely.

If its Berkeley Law is it a T14? Definitely. No almost.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:54 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
ntugwater wrote:
For the sake of this thread, I will say that I am not set on a specific geographical location. Would you say the same thing about UVA on the West Coast? Would it be T 20ish?
No. Berk gets less respect in NYC than UVA gets in LA. That being said, LA is a much harder market to crack than NYC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”