Berkeley?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Berkeley?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:29 pm

What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby DreamShake » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:51 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?


I'm pretty sure it's generally acknowledged as a T10. Most of TLS would probably lump it in with MVP in some order. Regionally--obviously highly regarded on the west coast; very well-regarded in Texas (at least that's my impression from meeting a pair of V50 partners and a couple high-prestige crimlaw attorneys); and I can't really speak to the NE. Hard to say internationally, but this probably paints a general picture:

HTH

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:54 pm

I generally see it as a top 8 but I think employers see it as a top 11 so I'd be weary of attending it over another school in the top 11

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Actual ranking?

CA: HYS > B > T14

EAST COAST: > DCNGB

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Is it a T10? Probably. Is it a T14? Almost definitely. It is the 2nd best law school west of the mississippi, and at least down in Florida it carries a surprising amount of prestige with its name (like paid 1L summer gigs with straight P grades).
Beyond the t10 designation, it's gonna come down to the student much more so than the school in the employer's eyes (aside from alma mater biases).

cheers

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:30 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?

It's going to depend on whatever school is higher ranked in the us news the year you are hired.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby bhan87 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:32 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?


West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

bhan87 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?


West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA


This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Tanicius » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?

It's going to depend on whatever school is higher ranked in the us news the year you are hired.


No it's not.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?


West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA


This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?


West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA


This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.


*Kicks self for choosing school ranked one spot lower based on fit*
*Cries softly*
*Gives into despair*

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA


This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.


*Kicks self for choosing school ranked one spot lower based on fit*
*Cries softly*
*Gives into despair*

Hopefully you can do well enough at Penn to make up for that miscalculation, but it is going to be hard.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Ok, let's say between UVA and Berkeley, without getting too specific, which degree would be more portable nationally for biglaw?


West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA


This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.


this is just well executed sarcasm, correct?

User avatar
LettuceBeefRealTea
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby LettuceBeefRealTea » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:36 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
West Coast Berkeley, East Coast UVA


This. The exact rank in any given year matters very little.

Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.


this is just well executed sarcasm, correct?


no

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bhan87 wrote:


Nope lawyers follow usnews to a tee. If you are at a t8 school instead of a t9 school you will have a better chance of getting the job, holding everything else constant.


this is just well executed sarcasm, correct?


no


Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 pm

I think the "no" was also sarcasm.

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 pm

it's sarcasm bro. a few ranks in any direction won't matter jack (unless you're dabbling in HYS category)

edit: beaten

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby gothamm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 pm

wow you guys are SOOOOOO sarcastic :roll:

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:52 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
ntugwater
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby ntugwater » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 am

yngblkgifted wrote:What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?


Where do you want to work? If you want to work on the west coast and cant get into stanford, then go for it. If you want to work on east coast, then I'd say Berkeley is ~T20. Probably slightly better than UCLA.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 am

ntugwater wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?


Where do you want to work? If you want to work on the west coast and cant get into stanford, then go for it. If you want to work on east coast, then I'd say Berkeley is ~T20. Probably slightly better than UCLA.


For the sake of this thread, I will say that I am not set on a specific geographical location. Would you say the same thing about UVA on the West Coast? Would it be T 20ish?

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Rotor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 am

FWIW, I think the prior posters in this thread have underestimated Berkeley's ability to go east. Definitely higher than T20, and my own opinion higher than Veyron's estimate of "DCNGB" I don't know anyone who wanted east coast who didn't get it. Yes, we have fewer who go to NY/DC, but that's because so many want to stay out here.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Drake014 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 am

clone22 wrote:Is it a T14? Almost definitely.


Almost definitely? Exactly why is there an almost in that statement?

Is it a woman if it has a vagine? Almost definitely.

If its Berkeley Law is it a T14? Definitely. No almost.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Berkeley?

Postby Veyron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:54 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
ntugwater wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:What's up with their rankings? They seem to fluctuate more than any other school in the T14. Though I hate to sound like a prestige whore, what is the general consensus of the school's actual ranking? Is it a T10? T 14? The reason I am asking is because I am considering going there for law school. At the end of the day, it won't sway my decision any particular way but I am just kind of curious as to how legal employers tend to regard Berkeley?


Where do you want to work? If you want to work on the west coast and cant get into stanford, then go for it. If you want to work on east coast, then I'd say Berkeley is ~T20. Probably slightly better than UCLA.


For the sake of this thread, I will say that I am not set on a specific geographical location. Would you say the same thing about UVA on the West Coast? Would it be T 20ish?


No. Berk gets less respect in NYC than UVA gets in LA. That being said, LA is a much harder market to crack than NYC.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], UVA2B and 6 guests