LLM or JD

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Trimmie

LLM or JD

Postby Trimmie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:47 am

I've seen a lot of threads on this topic. I was just wondering if you wanted to have a long-term career in america like i do, i wish to live and work out there, is a JD, although costly, a more better route to take. Or, could you have such a career with an LLM?

Aberzombie1892

Re: LLM or JD

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:07 am

It depends on the jurisdiction you want to practice in.

Trimmie

Postby Trimmie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:18 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It depends on the jurisdiction you want to practice in.

new york or california, would be going to new york first though :)

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am

As far as eligibility to work in a given jurisdiction, see pages 14-19 of this document (pages 26 to 31 of the PDF): --LinkRemoved-- . It will show you which states you're eligible to sit for the bar in right now (if any) based on your overseas legal education and your years of practice, which states would be accessible with an LLM, and which would require a JD.

As far as the best route to take, though, it's just a cost-benefit decision. The LLM is obviously quicker and cheaper, but it will limit your post-graduation options. Another possibility is finding a law school that will allow you to enroll for the JD with advanced standing credit, meaning you could get a JD in 2 years rather than 3.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”