EXTRA CIRCULARS? what should i do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Trimmie

EXTRA CIRCULARS? what should i do?

Postby Trimmie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:46 am

I was just wondering what sort of extra circular activities it takes to get into such schools as stanford, yale uc berkley, columbia etc

So far I have;

prefect status at both schools
volunteer work
student newspaper
debate team
swim team
founder/president of the student travelling society

I know im going to need a lot more....so any tips?

MMags

Re: EXTRA CIRCULARS? what should i do?

Postby MMags » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 am

The EC of LSAT prep for a 180 will likely help most....

HITeacher2

Postby HITeacher2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 am

You're going about it the wrong way. Rather than doing ECs to get into law school, you should be doing ECs that you're actually passionate about and your passion will show through your application. Coupled with a solid LSAT and GPA, you'll get in to at least Cal and Columbia.

Trimmie

Postby Trimmie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:26 am

HITeacher2 wrote:You're going about it the wrong way. Rather than doing ECs to get into law school, you should be doing ECs that you're actually passionate about and your passion will show through your application. Coupled with a solid LSAT and GPA, you'll get in to at least Cal and Columbia.

I do enjoy swimming, debating and travelling, i've been involved with them even from high school, its just that i want to make my application look impressive :)

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:37 pm

You're doing it wrong. Do cool shit that will turn into a good personal statement.

Also: 180, etc.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 pm

HITeacher2 wrote:You're going about it the wrong way. Rather than doing ECs to get into law school, you should be doing ECs that you're actually passionate about and your passion will show through your application. Coupled with a solid LSAT and GPA, you'll get in to at least Cal and Columbia.

This. Law schools care much more about depth of ECs than breadth. Do what you love and do a lot of it (unless you love drinking - then, moderation, at least during the week), and you'll be better off than listing yourself as 'Member' in a few extra ECs.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Adcoms don't care about whether you are inside or outside of any given circle; they care more about your LSAT/UGPA. Unless you've written a NYT best seller or something of that nature, you should be focusing on these.

Trimmie wrote:I was just wondering what sort of extra circular activities it takes to get into such schools as stanford, yale uc berkley, columbia etc

If you have a 4.0/180, you won't need any. It's good that you are interested in activities but it won't help you in any meaningful way.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

I agree with everything that's been said. One circular activity is usually enough.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:16 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:You're doing it wrong. Do cool shit that will turn into a good personal statement.

Also: 180, etc.

+1

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:28 pm

MrKappus wrote:I agree with everything that's been said. One circular activity is usually enough.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 pm

as a sidenote: if these are on your resume and you decide to put them under a heading called Extra Curricular Activities or really anything with the word curricular plezzzz spell it correctly

... or 4.0/180 and just make sure you spell your name right

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”