Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby droges » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:55 am

I applied late this cycle, sometime in February after getting my February LSAT. Below is what I have heard back so far:
Georgia: Accepted (scholarship- COA would be 10k/year)
Wake Forest: Accepted no money
William and Mary: WL
Washington and Lee: WL
Bu: WL
WUSTL: WL

My Stats are 167, second time, first time 163 and 3.65 GPA. I am considering retaking again in June seeing as I went blank on the second half of LG and feel like I can improve my score 3-4 points OR taking the money from Georgia and graduating with 30k debt. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if the risk of incurring more debt if I reapply to higher rated schools is worth it, especially with the legal market in its current condition. Second, God forbid I did worse on the test or cancelled, I think that would reflect poorly on me when I reapplied in the fall.

User avatar
Jackson Pollock
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:22 am

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby Jackson Pollock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm

droges wrote:I applied late this cycle, sometime in February after getting my February LSAT. Below is what I have heard back so far:
Georgia: Accepted (scholarship- COA would be 10k/year)
Wake Forest: Accepted no money
William and Mary: WL
Washington and Lee: WL
Bu: WL
WUSTL: WL

My Stats are 167, second time, first time 163 and 3.65 GPA. I am considering retaking again in June seeing as I went blank on the second half of LG and feel like I can improve my score 3-4 points OR taking the money from Georgia and graduating with 30k debt. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if the risk of incurring more debt if I reapply to higher rated schools is worth it, especially with the legal market in its current condition. Second, God forbid I did worse on the test or cancelled, I think that would reflect poorly on me when I reapplied in the fall.


Future employment goals? Future desires for where to practice?

Personally, I always think it's good to wait a year, ITE, if possible.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Try to get a legal related job or internship explore the field. Apply on the day applications open. I dont think you have to retake 167 is solid for a lot of schools.

Just give yourself a chance to have a real cycle.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby droges » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:10 pm

As of right now, I dont have a prefence of where I practice.

Hypothetically, If I decided to retake and didn't feel comfortable with my performance, would that reflect poorly on my application when reapplying in the fall? (This is my main concern)

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 pm

droges wrote:As of right now, I dont have a prefence of where I practice.

Hypothetically, If I decided to retake and didn't feel comfortable with my performance, would that reflect poorly on my application when reapplying in the fall? (This is my main concern)



I dont know. It matters what you want to do. You can get into very good schools with your numbers. Very practically you would have a shot at all but the top 14 or so. A lot of schools have rolling admissions, so there are more spots open in the beginning of the cycle than towards the end. If you do not have solid work experience it could be a good way to improve the content of your application(Like personal statement and resume).

If you have the energy to retake then I would do so. I may retake if I get a certain job offer and I have taken the dam test 5 times, but that is because I am nuts. But it is not make or break in your case. If I were you I would spend my time working on a very polished personal statement. Choose a school to ED at. Get a job that provides you with some emotional satisfaction and reapply.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby droges » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I graduated in December and currently work at State Street, in a job I really despise, and am leaning towards waiting a year so I can travel, maybe do a short term legal internship, and possibly work as a ski instructor out west so I can get the skiing fix out of my system before committing to law school and a legal career.

The only aspect of the decision making me hesitant is the prosepct of graduating with very little debt. I feel like if I do get into a top 20 school, the financial aid/ scholarship awards will not be substantial and the prospect of graduating with a large amount of debt is daunting.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby droges » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Assuming a delay enrollment a year, any recommendations on where to apply next cycle?

User avatar
Jackson Pollock
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:22 am

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby Jackson Pollock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 pm

droges wrote:Assuming a delay enrollment a year, any recommendations on where to apply next cycle?


Depends on your LSAT if you retake.

If you can stand it and think you could bump yourself a few points, I'd say retake and get into a nice T14.

droges
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby droges » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

In the top 20 schools, give or take some additional schools, is it worth enrolling if you know you will graduate with about 100k in loans? (Assuming your target is big law or market rate mid law)

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Need Advice: retake, wait, or attend in fall of 2011

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 pm

droges wrote:In the top 20 schools, give or take some additional schools, is it worth enrolling if you know you will graduate with about 100k in loans? (Assuming your target is big law or market rate mid law)


Yes. 100k in loans is feasible to pay back on a 50k/year salary in the event you don't make biglaw (which will happen at least 1/2 the time if not more).

However, for a "good" shot at biglaw I would primarily look at T14/UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT and maybe BU/BC.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests