When to apply Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
candy1234

When to apply Law School?

Postby candy1234 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello, I am a junior student who will be taking LSAT on June.
But as all of you know, LSAT is hard and I might not be ready by the exam date.
In that case, will it be wise to cancel and take it on October?

I heard if I apply early (September/October) I have higher chances of getting in than applying on November/Decemer, all else equal.

Is it true???

Thanks,

glitched

Re: When to apply Law School?

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 pm

candy1234 wrote:Hello, I am a junior student who will be taking LSAT on June.
But as all of you know, LSAT is hard and I might not be ready by the exam date.
In that case, will it be wise to cancel and take it on October?

I heard if I apply early (September/October) I have higher chances of getting in than applying on November/Decemer, all else equal.

Is it true???

Thanks,

first, do a search - you can easily find the answer.

but since i'm nice, i'll answer for you here. you will not be at a disadvantage taking it in october as long as you apply when or near when you get your score back. GET EVERYTHING READY starting the day after you take the test and you're good. I did the exact same thing as you. I actually sat in for the june test, bombed it, and cancelled then and there. Best decision of my life. I retook in October, got a score I was happy with, and applied late November (yeah I didn't get everything ready as I should have). My cycle turned out fine.

The ONLY thing you MIGHT miss out on is money. But if you apply RIGHT when your score comes out, you are 100% good to go. Also, a negative of doing this strategy is that if you bomb in October too, you are then in a tough situation. But even taking it in December isn't as bad as you might think.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 pm

I definitely believe that applying earlier helps your chances. I applied on the first day of each application, either sep 1st or oct 1st for me, and I got into all the schools I applied to, even when I thought there was a good chance of denial. But, then again, late October applications are by no means late. Take it in June, if you dont do as well as you want, then retake in october. You can always apply early and when your new score comes in the schools will see it.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:26 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:I definitely believe that applying earlier helps your chances. I applied on the first day of each application, either sep 1st or oct 1st for me, and I got into all the schools I applied to, even when I thought there was a good chance of denial. But, then again, late October applications are by no means late. Take it in June, if you dont do as well as you want, then retake in october. You can always apply early and when your new score comes in the schools will see it.

i would actually say you shouldn't take it if you're not ready. if you think you are, and you are scoring in a range that you are happy with on your PTs, by allllll means take it in june and apply as early as possible. but if you think you won't perform to your MAXIMUM abilities, then taking it in October (assuming that you will have much more time to prepare in the summer for October) is a much better choice. One cancel + One good score is much better than One mediocre score + One good score.

HTH

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”