Career focus shift from PS to LOCI? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
law4vus

Silver

Career focus shift from PS to LOCI?

Post by law4vus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 pm

So I am currently writing a LOCI to one of my schools I was waitlisted at. In my PS, I wrote about one area of law that I was very interested in, but a couple recent experiences I've had have led me to look into a different area I wasn't considering before. I began a job in this area and have been really happy with it so far. I was wondering if I can talk about my new focus in my LOCI (tying it into programs the law school has) without looking scatterbrained and unfocused.

Should I include a caveat, like "I know I talked about X in my personal statement, but...."? Not sure what to do here, so any thoughts would be much appreciated. :D

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Re: Career focus shift from PS to LOCI?

Post by YaSvoboden » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

I think most schools actually count on students finding their area of interest while they are in law school and having at best a vague idea of what they want beforehand. From that I would say that it is better to point out that there are several areas of law you are interested in and would love to explore these things further at their fine institution, or something like that.

However, this is just based on speaking to adcom members that told me not to choose a law school based on a particular interest, because it will likely change. Also, based on the fact that your interest already changed in the past few months, I would say that it will probably happen again.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:02 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:I think most schools actually count on students finding their area of interest while they are in law school and having at best a vague idea of what they want beforehand. From that I would say that it is better to point out that there are several areas of law you are interested in and would love to explore these things further at their fine institution, or something like that.

However, this is just based on speaking to adcom members that told me not to choose a law school based on a particular interest, because it will likely change. Also, based on the fact that your interest already changed in the past few months, I would say that it will probably happen again.
This is true. One thing though, is that I'm not choosing the school solely based on a particular interest. It's the best school I've gotten waitlisted at that is in the area I want to practice. I know the area well and I know I'd be happiest there (which I will also touch upon in the LOCI).

I just want to update them on what I'm doing now and describe how it ties in with my interests. It's icing on the cake that this school has a clinical program tied into the work I currently do. Not sure if any of this changes your thought process, but I appreciate the feedback!

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Post by YaSvoboden » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 pm

law4vus wrote:This is true. One thing though, is that I'm not choosing the school solely based on a particular interest. It's the best school I've gotten waitlisted at that is in the area I want to practice. I know the area well and I know I'd be happiest there (which I will also touch upon in the LOCI).

I just want to update them on what I'm doing now and describe how it ties in with my interests. It's icing on the cake that this school has a clinical program tied into the work I currently do. Not sure if any of this changes your thought process, but I appreciate the feedback!
That actually sounds good to me, keep in mind that I am not even applying til next cycle, but if I were terribly wrong I'm sure someone around here would correct me.

It seems to me that a waitlist is like you've gotten to know a girl a little, you've been talkin yourself up, telling her about all this neat stuff you've done, even had some buddies dropping hints about how cool you are and how you two should get together. Despite all of this she tells you she doesn't know if she's interested, which usually just means no. Because she didn't just flat say no, you know that there is still a chance so you come back after a little while and tell her a few extra things.

You come back and tell her that she is the coolest girl you know and you both have some of the same interests. Sure there are other options, but I know that I will be happiest with you.

For the past few months I have been doing some cool stuff, and I wanted to let you know about it. During that time I have been spending a lot of time playing with puppies, I know you love puppies too, in fact I saw that you have a little puppy shelter we could play at together after you put me through hell for a year.

Sure it may not impress, and she may laugh at you or completely ignore you. But there is a chance that it will work, so what the hell?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:
law4vus wrote:This is true. One thing though, is that I'm not choosing the school solely based on a particular interest. It's the best school I've gotten waitlisted at that is in the area I want to practice. I know the area well and I know I'd be happiest there (which I will also touch upon in the LOCI).

That actually sounds good to me, keep in mind that I am not even applying til next cycle, but if I were terribly wrong I'm sure someone around here would correct me.

It seems to me that a waitlist is like you've gotten to know a girl a little, you've been talkin yourself up, telling her about all this neat stuff you've done, even had some buddies dropping hints about how cool you are and how you two should get together. Despite all of this she tells you she doesn't know if she's interested, which usually just means no. Because she didn't just flat say no, you know that there is still a chance so you come back after a little while and tell her a few extra things.

You come back and tell her that she is the coolest girl you know and you both have some of the same interests. Sure there are other options, but I know that I will be happiest with you.

For the past few months I have been doing some cool stuff, and I wanted to let you know about it. During that time I have been spending a lot of time playing with puppies, I know you love puppies too, in fact I saw that you have a little puppy shelter we could play at together after you put me through hell for a year.

Sure it may not impress, and she may laugh at you or completely ignore you. But there is a chance that it will work, so what the hell?
I'm not 100 percent sure what to say to this, but thanks?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”