Seton Hall (35k per year) vs. St. John's (Full Scholarship) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shmumush

New

Seton Hall (35k per year) vs. St. John's (Full Scholarship)

Post by shmumush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 am

Last edited by shmumush on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Silver

Re: Seton Hall (35k per year) vs. St. John's (Full Scholarship)

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:57 am

St. John's.

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:14 am

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 am

Peer schools. Take St. Johns w/ the full ride unless you visit and find SH to have a much better atmosphere for you personally compared to STJ.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 am

Seton Hall. St. John´s (which is on the verge of becoming a tier 3 school) competes in NYC with every other school in the world. Seton Hall is the best law school in NJ (there seems to be a consensus that there is an increasingly larger gap between Sh and Rutgers) which leaves SH to pick all the jobs in NJ. Great reputation in the state, insulated legal market (not many people want NJ) and a big scholarship make SH the right choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 am

What are the stipulations?

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 am

paul7lee

New

Post by paul7lee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:52 pm

SJU. Interesting b/c I got a full ride at SHU and $32.5 at SJU. Can't sniff at the full ride. The school is demonstrating their desire to have you. Btw, SHU's stip. is top 50%.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:54 pm

shmumush wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What are the stipulations?
Top 40% at both... tried negotiating out the stips but had no luck
You prepared to drop out after 1L if you don't get top40?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 pm

paul7lee wrote:SJU. Interesting b/c I got a full ride at SHU and $32.5 at SJU. Can't sniff at the full ride. The school is demonstrating their desire to have you. Btw, SHU's stip. is top 50%.
Yeah I got the 35k at SHU and it was median.

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Last edited by shmumush on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:32 pm

shmumush wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
shmumush wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What are the stipulations?
Top 40% at both... tried negotiating out the stips but had no luck
You prepared to drop out after 1L if you don't get top40?
Of course.. At that point, would I have a choice? Think about it this way, in this economy, if I am not top 40% in SJU, there is no way I am getting a job anyway.

That being said, I need to choose a school with the intention of retaining my scholarship.. Thanks for your input.
Seton Hall, and be very prepared to drop out if that 40% isn't met. Good luck.

paul7lee

New

Post by paul7lee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 am

So where are you going to go?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I went to Seton Hall ASD yesterday. The school was really nice, but the surrounding areas were not that nice. Dont know if that has any effect.

Whateverdude

New

Post by Whateverdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but you should not go to law school.

shmumush

New

Post by shmumush » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Last edited by shmumush on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whateverdude

New

Post by Whateverdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm

shmumush wrote:
Whateverdude wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but you should not go to law school.
Let me guess.. You have either just graduated law school and have been shut out in your search for any decent job, or you are a guy who goes around TLS searching for ppl to put down in order to compensate for your lack of self confidence. Which one are you?
None of the above. I have a great job. I'm simply trying to give you some good advice. If you want a bunch of doods who have no idea (for the most part) what in the hell they're talking about, then you should listen to all of these clowns tell you that St. fucking John's is a grrrreat idea. The only way I'd even consider St. John's is if I had a full ride. Seton Hall at full price is insane. I'm sorry if you feel bad about yourself when you hear the truth. You'll feel even worse when/if you go to one of those schools and are out on your ass in 3 years. For reals. Don't do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Whateverdude wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but you should not go to law school.
I am not sure why you say this. You either believe that 1) a JD is only worthwhile if you are going for biglaw or 2) that you need to be in a top law school to have a successful and fulfilling career. Both are false. I'd say OP is in a unique position because he will not have any loans out of school. He can actually pursue a career that he is interested in without the pressure of having to make a huge salary. This is not to say that he can't do both.

OP, don't let people like this get you down. I'm in SJU and very happy. Good luck with your decision.

legallyb

New

Post by legallyb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Seton Hall. I was in a similar situation, but Seton Hall offered me more personally. Seton Hall is one of my top choices right now and I think it's worth the extra $10k a year since you'll be paying other money to equal the cost of attendance already.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Whateverdude wrote:
shmumush wrote:
Let me guess.. You have either just graduated law school and have been shut out in your search for any decent job, or you are a guy who goes around TLS searching for ppl to put down in order to compensate for your lack of self confidence. Which one are you?
None of the above. I have a great job. I'm simply trying to give you some good advice. If you want a bunch of doods who have no idea (for the most part) what in the hell they're talking about, then you should listen to all of these clowns tell you that St. fucking John's is a grrrreat idea. The only way I'd even consider St. John's is if I had a full ride. Seton Hall at full price is insane. I'm sorry if you feel bad about yourself when you hear the truth. You'll feel even worse when/if you go to one of those schools and are out on your ass in 3 years. For reals. Don't do it.
As per the thread title, OP has full ride to SJU and near full at SHU.

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Whateverdude wrote:
shmumush wrote:
You and your 24 posts should come back when you learn to read, a fullride is a great idea if your willing to drop if you lose it. That's why I vote st. Johns, no reason to risk debt on top 40 percent

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Whateverdude

New

Post by Whateverdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:44 pm

barryb wrote:
I am not sure why you say this. You either believe that 1) a JD is only worthwhile if you are going for biglaw or 2) that you need to be in a top law school to have a successful and fulfilling career. Both are false. I'd say OP is in a unique position because he will not have any loans out of school. He can actually pursue a career that he is interested in without the pressure of having to make a huge salary. This is not to say that he can't do both.

OP, don't let people like this get you down. I'm in SJU and very happy. Good luck with your decision.
Give me a break. I'm trying to give this guy the real scoop, not some pie-in-the-sky, you-can-do-it-because-you're-special nonsense. I said I'd only consider SJU with a full-ride and absolutely zero debt. I don't even know if I'd do it then because OP will likely still have to borrow substantial living costs while in school. If you try to tell me/him/anyone else that going to Seton Hall at full-price is a wise investment, then you're lying. And it has nothing to do with BigLaw. Please, enlighten me as to how many of your SJU classmates are scrambling for a job, let alone one that actually pays. Go ahead, do it. Even with a full-ride, going to school for three years isn't free. OP should know if it is a wise investment. In case you only decided to read this sentence: IT ISN'T.

Full disclosure: I do not go to a "top law school," and I did well enough to land a BigLaw job. I am very much in the minority. A lot of my friends are very smart and did very well and are still scrapping for jobs, and I think that these boards need a little balance in their perspective.

Whateverdude

New

Post by Whateverdude » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 pm

witorres89 wrote:You and your 24 posts should come back when you learn to read, a fullride is a great idea if your willing to drop if you lose it. That's why I vote st. Johns, no reason to risk debt on top 40 percent
Lol at your 37 posts picking on my 24 posts. Not that I need to explain myself to you, but I have been a member of these boards for a few years now, I come and go and forget screennames and passwords. But anyway, I bet your weiner is HUGE. Awesome.

P.S. Even with a full-ride, OP should exercise caution with SJU. Unemployed is unemployed. There's no scholarship for that. Keep douchin'.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Whateverdude wrote:
barryb wrote:

Give me a break. I'm trying to give this guy the real scoop, not some pie-in-the-sky, you-can-do-it-because-you're-special nonsense. I said I'd only consider SJU with a full-ride and absolutely zero debt. I don't even know if I'd do it then because OP will likely still have to borrow substantial living costs while in school. If you try to tell me/him/anyone else that going to Seton Hall at full-price is a wise investment, then you're lying. And it has nothing to do with BigLaw. Please, enlighten me as to how many of your SJU classmates are scrambling for a job, let alone one that actually pays. Go ahead, do it. Even with a full-ride, going to school for three years isn't free. OP should know if it is a wise investment. In case you only decided to read this sentence: IT ISN'T.

Full disclosure: I do not go to a "top law school," and I did well enough to land a BigLaw job. I am very much in the minority. A lot of my friends are very smart and did very well and are still scrapping for jobs, and I think that these boards need a little balance in their perspective.
No need to get defensive. In fact, I totally agree with you that one must be realistic and understand that 160k is rare at any tier 2 school. But what if OP doesn't want biglaw? Most graduates will not have that opportunity, and those that do often quickly find that they wish they'd be somewhere else. I also agree that SHU or SJU is not worth it if you will have to take on any real debt. That's not the case for OP. If he wants to go to law school he is in a much safer position to do so.

I am only taking issue with your statement that OP shouldn't attend law school at all if his best option is a measly full scholarship at SJU. Since when is that a bad option? Worst case scenario, if OP hates law school, he can drop out after first semester or at the end of 1L.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Whateverdude wrote:
barryb wrote:

Its a wonder that you have a biglaw job considering your reading comprehension skills are terrible.

You said dont go to law school, and then when asked why, you said because you wouldnt go to SJU unless on a full scholarship and wouldnt go to seton hall for sticker.

Well, OP has a full ride at SJU and a 75% ride at SHU. You should be fired.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”