Looking for insight - Choosing a law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Choose my school

Oklahoma - 16K/year
33%
Oklahoma City U - Dean's scholar (Full ride + Books)
56%
South Texas - 15K/year
11%

Total votes: 9

DamnLSAT

Looking for insight - Choosing a law school

Postby DamnLSAT » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:13 am

I'm in the difficult process of choosing my law school, and I would appreciate some advice.

First off, I am from Dallas but have lived in Oklahoma for the past two years. I am willing to work in Oklahoma City or Dallas. I am 25, on my own, and will pay for everything. Also, I have no current debt. I went to a top business school, worked in real estate for 4 years, and now am seeking the law degree I passed over to originally pursue the real estate market.

My stats, which are in my profile, are 160 and 3.0. I am well aware my GPA is not great - my classes were difficult, grade-deflated, and only 3 business students in the entire 500 graduates made any form of cum laude. Not making excuses, just painting the larger picture.

Additional caveats:
1. I am not retaking and reapplying. I simply cannot do that, so don't even waste your time posting.

2. I know these are not "top" law schools like everyone here is used to, so save the critique. I am looking for advice about choosing ranking over scholarship, or anything in the same relative area.

Basically, it comes down to a full-ride under a dean's scholarship (access to the dean, invites to many events) vs. a much more prestigious school with a wider area to eventually practice in vs. a decent texas school with a great litigation reputation.

What would you do?

Danteshek

Re: Looking for insight - Choosing a law school

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 am

I would go to the University of Oklahoma. I imagine the alumni network is much better. OKC is one of the bottom feeders.

txadv11

Re: Looking for insight - Choosing a law school

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 am

Look at OCU's curve (2.0-2.1), vs the stipulation (I didn't get the Sumner's full ride, but I got $$$$ and it was a 3.0 stip)

Also, I really like STCL, but OU may provide better opportunities.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”