Pharmacy to law without a bachelor's? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
law4vus

Silver

Pharmacy to law without a bachelor's?

Post by law4vus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm

So I have a friend who is interested in going to law school after completing pharmacy school and working for a few years. She went to pharmacy school after three years in undergrad, so she never got her bachelor's (common for pharmacy school students).

Would law schools make her finish her bachelor's before admission even though she holds a graduate degree? My initial inclination is to say yes, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Pharmacy to law without a bachelor's?

Post by buckilaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:31 pm

I think they would make her finish. Have your friend call some schools to get a definitive answer.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I thought they gave you the BS with the PharmD

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:57 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:I thought they gave you the BS with the PharmD
As far as I can tell, they don't. I've seen a lot of combined BS/PharmD programs, though. However, my friend didn't do that.

Conan

New

Post by Conan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm

I attended a 6 year PharmD program right from highschool so I don't have an UG degree.

I applied to handful of law schools and not a single school gave me a hard time for lack of bacherlor's per se.

She can message me if she has any other questions about the application process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Conan wrote:I attended a 6 year PharmD program right from highschool so I don't have an UG degree.

I applied to handful of law schools and not a single school gave me a hard time for lack of bacherlor's per se.

She can message me if she has any other questions about the application process.
May I ask why you're going to law school with a PharmD degree?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Sentry wrote:
Conan wrote:I attended a 6 year PharmD program right from highschool so I don't have an UG degree.

Addicted to school / grades / not being a real adult.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 pm

why the fuck would your friend want to leave the easiest job (that pays well) in the world to go to law school?

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sentry wrote:

guess that all depends on your definition of real.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm

nematoad wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Sentry wrote:

guess that all depends on your definition of real.
Having a job.

Lucidity

New

Post by Lucidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm

It's easy as fuck to find a well paying job as a pharmacist.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:13 pm

TheFactor wrote:why the fuck would your friend want to leave the easiest job (that pays well) in the world to go to law school?
I asked the same question, haha.

And to the person that said it's easy to find a job as a pharmacist...well that isn't so true anymore. The market there is also oversaturated (though not to the extent law is).

Lucidity

New

Post by Lucidity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:53 am

Pharmacy is saturated based on geography, especially in a city with a pharmacy school. But it really isn't hard at all to find a job if you are open to moving around a bit. Here in Texas, there are plenty of cvs district managers who are willing to kiss your ass just for a part time commitment.

Even if your friend lives in an area that is saturated, changing your profession to law (of all things why law?!?!) when you have a pharmD is crazzzzyyy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 am

Lucidity wrote:Pharmacy is saturated based on geography, especially in a city with a pharmacy school. But it really isn't hard at all to find a job if you are open to moving around a bit. Here in Texas, there are plenty of cvs district managers who are willing to kiss your ass just for a part time commitment.

Even if your friend lives in an area that is saturated, changing your profession to law (of all things why law?!?!) when you have a pharmD is crazzzzyyy.

I think its crazy that people who are going to law school when they easily could get into other professional schools think its crazy that someone who is a professional is crazy to do law. Crazy crazy crazy

Conan

New

Post by Conan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Sentry wrote: May I ask why you're going to law school with a PharmD degree?
I work in a retail pharmacy and although the monetary compensation is good ($65/hr + med/dent/rx/vision insurance + profit sharing... etc) I can't see myself doing this for rest of my life.

I would like to go into pharmaceutical patent law and hopefully PharmD/JD combo will help.

My ultimate goal is to teach pharmacy law at pharmacy schools. My pharmacy law professor at pharmacy school was PharmD/JD but most pharmacy schools do not have that luxury so would love to teach and prepare pharmacy grads for their MPJE.
Desert Fox wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Haha. I really wish I could leave the pharmacy profession without extra schooling but it's not easy to do.

I'm actually still working as a pharmacist at Duane Reade (Well, Walgreens now since big W bought us) so I'm a "real adult" according to Desert Fox's definition.
TheFactor wrote:why the fuck would your friend want to leave the easiest job (that pays well) in the world to go to law school?
Believe it or not, pharmacist is not an easy job... but it does pay pretty well. So, I'm still working as a pharmacist and going to law school PT.
law4vus wrote:
And to the person that said it's easy to find a job as a pharmacist...well that isn't so true anymore. The market there is also oversaturated (though not to the extent law is).

Well the pharmacy job market isn't what it used to be but I wouldn't say it's oversaturated... especially in NYC.

Retail pharmacies look for two things when PharmDs apply for pharmacist position: 1) licensure status and 2) pulse

It wasn't an easy decision to make especially since I'm paying sticker at Fordham.

I know many TLSers consider anywhere below T14 at full sticker a financial suicide but I think I can manage the debt.

Whether I'll become a lawyer who knows a lot about pharmaceuticals or a pharmacist who knows a lot about law, I'm not sure at this point.

But I do know that I'll be able to pay back the debt either way.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Conan wrote:
Sentry wrote: May I ask why you're going to law school with a PharmD degree?
I work in a retail pharmacy and although the monetary compensation is good ($65/hr + med/dent/rx/vision insurance + profit sharing... etc) I can't see myself doing this for rest of my life.

I would like to go into pharmaceutical patent law and hopefully PharmD/JD combo will help.

My ultimate goal is to teach pharmacy law at pharmacy schools. My pharmacy law professor at pharmacy school was PharmD/JD but most pharmacy schools do not have that luxury so would love to teach and prepare pharmacy grads for their MPJE.
Desert Fox wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Haha. I really wish I could leave the pharmacy profession without extra schooling but it's not easy to do.

I'm actually still working as a pharmacist at Duane Reade (Well, Walgreens now since big W bought us) so I'm a "real adult" according to Desert Fox's definition.
Believe it or not, pharmacist is not an easy job... but it does pay pretty well. So, I'm still working as a pharmacist and going to law school PT.
law4vus wrote:

Well the pharmacy job market isn't what it used to be but I wouldn't say it's oversaturated... especially in NYC.

Retail pharmacies look for two things when PharmDs apply for pharmacist position: 1) licensure status and 2) pulse

It wasn't an easy decision to make especially since I'm paying sticker at Fordham.

I know many TLSers consider anywhere below T14 at full sticker a financial suicide but I think I can manage the debt.

Whether I'll become a lawyer who knows a lot about pharmaceuticals or a pharmacist who knows a lot about law, I'm not sure at this point.

But I do know that I'll be able to pay back the debt either way.
Hi Conan!

To anyone who may be reading this thread, my classmate knows whereof he speaks, and I believe he made a very sound choice. Because he's continuing to work, he'll be in less debt than many of the rest of us, and he'll have a very unique and marketable skill set when he graduates.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Perhaps they discovered that they are afraid of heights and cannot stand being on the 16" elevated platform at the back of the pharmacy. If this is case, it could also mean that they might want to avoid any paths that would lead towards getting a position as a judge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Conan

New

Post by Conan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:26 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Hi Conan!

To anyone who may be reading this thread, my classmate knows whereof he speaks, and I believe he made a very sound choice. Because he's continuing to work, he'll be in less debt than many of the rest of us, and he'll have a very unique and marketable skill set when he graduates.
Hey long time no see OS!

Can't see myself having more unique and marketable background than you. =)
Also, wanted to thank you for the longest time for the studying tips you sent me via PM last year.
Helped me tremendously. Hope you are doing well!

therumpshaker

New

Post by therumpshaker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:38 am

Wow, I thought I might be the only one. I am also a pharmacist who just got into law school in Canada. I'm looking at health law...never thought of teaching pharmacy law. Interesting.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:53 am

+1

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 am

I will not stand for this anti Jackie O trolling

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:06 am

D. H2Oman wrote:I will not stand for this anti Jackie O trolling
Oh hey guys look! Waterman's back.

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:16 am

I would contend that the reason that she is choosing law over pharmacy is possibly along the same lines is why everyone else here chose law over pharmacy.

Not quite sure what those are yet, but I suspect it's a type of subconscious masochistic behavior.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:56 am

LoyalRebel wrote:I would contend that the reason that she is choosing law over pharmacy is possibly along the same lines is why everyone else here chose law over pharmacy.

Not quite sure what those are yet, but I suspect it's a type of subconscious masochistic behavior.
Choosing law over pharmacy isn't crazy. Choosing law over pharmacy after you spent 6 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars becoming a pharmacist is.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:23 am

Desert Fox wrote: Choosing law over pharmacy isn't crazy. Choosing law over pharmacy after you spent 6 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars becoming a pharmacist is.
Add in 5 - 15 years of experience in the field as a pharmacist, and I suspect that they would be in a better position to pursue legal action for/against companies in the pharmaceutical industry then the vast majority of lawyers. But I am sure that there in no money in that....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”