So the concensus is that softs dont help much, but...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tdawg7669

So the concensus is that softs dont help much, but...

Postby Tdawg7669 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 pm

does a lack of softs hurt you?

For example, the only thing I have done during my college career was work a part time job at a grocery store. During the school semesters I worked about 30 hours a week probably a little bit more on average. As I live about an hour away from my school(8 more hours added in commute time for a 4 day week) I really didnt have time to do anything other than work or school related activities. During breaks and vacations they basically made me full time and gave me 40 hours+ a week(keeping me at the same ****y pay wage though lol). I worked side jobs in construction with my dad(he is a carpenter) during my free time in the summer, when the work presented itself. I stayed with them throughout because they were flexible with my school schedule and because the only way to get fired was to get caught stealing and I really needed a secure source of income.

So I'm kinda worried I fucked myself here. Am I going to suffer any significant penalties because I have no softs? The reasoning people give here for softs not counting much is because everybody and their mother has them. So am I right in assuming not having them will hurt me?

Or will I still get in where my numbers say I will get in?

Knock

Re: So the concensus is that softs dont help much, but...

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Tdawg7669 wrote:does a lack of softs hurt you?

For example, the only thing I have done during my college career was work a part time job at a grocery store. During the school semesters I worked about 30 hours a week probably a little bit more on average. As I live about an hour away from my school(8 more hours added in commute time for a 4 day week) I really didnt have time to do anything other than work or school related activities. During breaks and vacations they basically made me full time and gave me 40 hours+ a week(keeping me at the same ****y pay wage though lol). I worked side jobs in construction with my dad(he is a carpenter) during my free time in the summer, when the work presented itself. I stayed with them throughout because they were flexible with my school schedule and because the only way to get fired was to get caught stealing and I really needed a secure source of income.

So I'm kinda worried I fucked myself here. Am I going to suffer any significant penalties because I have no softs? The reasoning people give here for softs not counting much is because everybody and their mother has them. So am I right in assuming not having them will hurt me?

Or will I still get in where my numbers say I will get in?

No. Working is fine. Your cycle will most likely go straight by the numbers. Don't expect to be penalized in any noticeable way during your cycle.

Tdawg7669

Postby Tdawg7669 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:12 pm

word, thanks broski. One less thing (that is out of my control anyway, at this point) to worry about.

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Tdawg7669 wrote:word, thanks broski. One less thing (that is out of my control anyway, at this point) to worry about.

Use of the word "broski" CAN hurt you, both on your applications and in real life.

parsi

Postby parsi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm

[
emmbar53 wrote:
Tdawg7669 wrote:word, thanks broski. One less thing (that is out of my control anyway, at this point) to worry about.

Use of the word "broski" CAN hurt you, both on your applications and in real life.

I am Broseidon, King of thr Brocean.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:10 pm

:lol: @ "concensus"

I had pretty much no extracurriculars and got into a few T14s. I also got a few surprise waitlists at schools that should have been locks for me, and I think my lack of community service/extracurriculars may have played a role.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Softs do matter for Stanford and Yale because their class sizes are relatively small they can afford to be choosy and more "holistic". Harvard is more numbers-based and will take just about anyone with a 3.8+ and a 174+.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”